Discussion in 'Introductions Board' started by Robinho10, Jul 30, 2007.

1. FeliX 450

FeliX 450 I am me

Sep 8, 2007
    San Diego, So*Cal
    Hmm i'm new here as well. 100 rep points seems like a LOT for just one bar. Also lets say if you give some one rep. points in lets say Technology forum, do you still get the points? since its Off Topic from soccer? Another question why is post number not displayed? how do i enable it, if pissible...

2. Koby7STAR

Koby7STAR Member

Feb 16, 2007
    England
    when you click on bigsoccer at the top left f your screen, you will find any reps that were given to you at the bottom of that page.
    Rep works in any forum i think.
    The rep number will not be available to see to anyone else, all others will see are your number of bars.
    only you can see the number of rep you have recieved which like i said will be on your 'bigsoccer page'

3. LIZZIE

LIZZIE BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 18, 2001
    Sec 126
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It actually had to do with the skin I had chosen- with the Fire skin, you do not see the option for Reputation, but changing to one of the Big Soccer skins, you can

4. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Rep covers all forums so no matter what forum it is given in, it is registered to your name. And FYI there's no way to show post count in your posts - you need to click the users' name then it will take you to their profile page where it is displayed.

5. Koby7STAR

Koby7STAR Member

Feb 16, 2007
    England
    why is it now that when i try to give someone rep it says so an so wants you to spread around some rep before giving it to them

6. danny dire

danny dire New Member

Sep 8, 2007
  7. Allison A

Allison A New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Is there any control over negative rep points? I've been getting negative rep points (my first ever) over the past few days just because a rivals fans don't like me, specifically for posting quotes their own owner made that were contradictory to what he said recently.

Can they just be given out without any control? Seems like something that could be easily abused and I'm not happy that I am being targeted and I have a feeling more red cards are coming my way.

8. Koby7STAR

Koby7STAR Member

Feb 16, 2007
    England
    You being targeted like that is nothing new, people are compalining similarly how when they post in say a chelsea forum and you are a football fan who is not causiing trouble but just telling it as it is, they will get neg rep from every one.
    The only control is that you can give only a certain amount of rep in 24 hours e.g, you can only give 12 rep a day whether it be neg or pos.
    There are threads on Bigsoccer where paople are complaining like you about there being no comtrol otherwise.

9. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't give the same user rep over and over again without repping other people in the meantime. I've never bothered to count how many it takes, but you have to spread the love around a little among posters if you want to rep someone who you've recently repped. It prevents people from undeservedly boosting up each other's rep.

10. Koby7STAR

Koby7STAR Member

Feb 16, 2007
    England
    thanks sapphire

11. Allison A

Allison A New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the clarification. I suspected that was the case, but it seems like a system ripe for abuse.

I run my own board for the Portland Timbers which has about 5000 members and I don't implement a reputation system for the very fact that it can be used as a tool for personal attacks by posters on each other. I don't think that's productive for anybody. If there are problem posters, that's for the moderators to deal with.

12. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much like in real life: show a little respect & restraint, make some sense and don't be a dickhead :D :p

13. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Keep in mind which forum your post is going. If you post in rival team's forums - even balanced and truthful posts may be considered negative by the other posters on the board. Especially if you do not regualry post in the forum your comments may be considered trolling and negative. As always reading the full thread to get the flow of the conversation is a good idea - as is not starting a new thread that could be considered 'flaming' or 'spamming' etc.

When posting on other team's boards I make a point of 'waving the white flag' in a literary sense to let people know I'm not trying to bait them. That said - if you start your post with 'No offense' and then procede to spew offensive comments you'll likely get neg rep.

One more point - the various Rivalries forums are for the lowest common denominator of posts, and trolling behavior in general, and funny or mocking posts generally get pos rep where they would be neg repped if posted to a team's board. These forums were created with the purpose of removing juvenile posts from the regular boards, and it is considered poor form to give neg rep no matter how offensive the language or content. If the post is truly inflammatory (racist,misogynist etc.) you can use the reports post icon (a little caution sign to the left of the rep scales) which notifies moderators/supermods/admins (not sure exactly who) of truly offensive material, spam etc.. However, I would recommend if you find the majority posts to be generally offensive avoiding the forum altogether may be your best option.

Hope this helps

14. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    To be honest I often wonder what the point of having pos/neg reps are..?

It´s not like they change anything.

15. Koby7STAR

Koby7STAR Member

Feb 16, 2007
    England
    well, some people don't care, others do

16. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I´m was rather confused about the reps when I started posting on BS, so I just gave everyone the same treatment. They pos repped me and I returned the favour, the same for negs...It just seems so pointless because it removes the value of having the merits of a post discussed on the forum.

17. Koby7STAR

Koby7STAR Member

Feb 16, 2007
    England
    like me when i first started, but now i have a good knowledge of the rep sysytem

18. Sapphire

Sapphire Moderator

Jun 29, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen more than one new poster post like a complete wanker for several weeks, get upset that they're in the red, and start posting better. I think it works.

19. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I bet you have seen a neg rep start a flaming between posters that make several sensible posters leave as well...:D

20. Mojam5

Mojam5 New Member

Sep 21, 2007
    this doesnt have to do with reps, but just wondering does anybody know what kicks are next to the individual threads? Just wondering, thanks.

21. Skizz

Skizz Guest

At the bottom of each thread there is a button to "kick" the thread. It's just a way of saying you read the thread, or you think it was good. Therefore, kicks are the number of people who have read the thread and kicked it as a result.

22. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is the option to "turn on", "turn off" the display of the scales? I can't seem to find it and I don't see scales on any of the posts.

23. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Depends on the skin you use...It´s there on default for example.

24. Koby7STAR

Koby7STAR Member

Feb 16, 2007
    England
    yeh, change your skin to the default white

25. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was using the MLS New England Revolution skin. I assumed that it would have it. I changed back to the default. Thank you.