"Reputation"?

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Rocket, Mar 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    where do you find the comments?
    I've looked in my usercp and can't find them.
    Is it a premie thing?
    I've used this karma point system on another board - and yes it's fun seeing who thinks what of you. It'll be even more fun on this board - of that I have no doubt. :)

2. miko

miko New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Ireland
    How come everytime I try to give reputation (or take it away) it takes me to the top of the page I'm viewing...? Is this just me or what?

3. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been curious about the rating comments when you mouse over and hover on the blocks by someon else's reputation. Here is a list of what I have found so far. Any others?

1 Block {Grey}
    can only hope to improve

GREEN BLOCKS

1 block
    off the scale
    on a distinguished road

2 blocks
    will become famous soon enough
    has a spectacular aura about it

3 blocks
    a jewel in the rough

4. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Press the Ctrl button when you left click on the scales of justice.

A small window should appear.

5. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    BigSoccer vernacular lesson:

nipple (NIH pull) n. {Ancient AFLism} a little box next to a user's post count under their name on the left margin that indicates how other users view his or her status on the boards. - Upon recieving a third green box, Amerifolklegend exclaimed, "Holy crap! I have a third nipple!"

rep (rehp) v. {BigSoccer vernacular} the act of giving another user positive or negative reputation points. - After reading a post in the USMNT forum that made sense, Bill sat stunned for a minute than decided that he needed to rep the person that posted it to show that he liked the post.

:D

5 Nipples - Glorious beacon of light.
    6 Nipples - (last one light green) Glorious beacon of light. SupahMod.

6. SomebodyOrOther

SomebodyOrOther BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 8, 2002
    Over here!
    Yes, but what is 4?? Everyone rep AFL so we can find out! :D

7. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, AFL's vernacular was worthy of a rep from me - so ok.... :) Perhaps my efforts to identify the levels are worthy as well???

by the way, you have 4 and it says you are a jewel in the rough, must have not quite gotten to the next "descriptor" in the 4th level yet.

8. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how do the limits work? Are we limited to giving out a certain number of points in a 24-hour period or is it a certain number of reppings? And what are those certain numbers?

And how many people must we rep before we can repeat a repping of a particular person?

Edited to add that it's weird that the nipples are out of sync with the descriptions.

Edited again to add that I only added the previous sentence because I wanted to say "nipples."

9. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    I like the idea of the points. Interested to see how it turns out in the end. I would also think it'd be better if the limit was only 2-4 points given per day. Seems like that would give a lot more cred to the whole thing. Can we get a list from somebody in the know of all the cred listings? "Somebodyorother"'s four nipples got him a rating of "Somebodyorother's just really nice." Strange one. You'd think on the way to greatness was better.

10. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    All of my negative reputation points have come from this thread. Which pretty much proves my point. I'm also convinced Huss gave me a reputation shot.

11. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, somebody tried to give me some negative rep but they don't have enough juice to affect my points. :D

12. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    I can find them either.

Must be that we didn't get any yet.???

13. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep me with a comment - I think I know where they are supposed to be - and I'll report back with what I find (or not) - I am actively seeking a job (OK I'm unemployed) so I can't afford a premium membership at the moment - we'll be able to see if that limits the view of comments

14. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huss:

I want to second this.

People are already just using it to slag other people. I've gotten a couple gratuitous insults from gutless crapweasels that had nothing whatever to do with any post in particular, and one with the word "niet" whatever that means.

I really don't want to look at that crap every time I open "My Bigsoccer" every time some anonymous fool feels like it.

If nothing else, I'd like to opt out of the system.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing this thread, I checked out my control panel and looked at my rep. I see the problem right away.

I have a different personna on the politics forum than elsewhere. I'm pretty patient with some pretty stupid stuff elsewhere. But on the politics board, I long ago lost patience with belligerent ignorance. And all 5 posts commented on for me were in the politics board. Further, in the same thread, one comment suggested I was too hard on Condi Rice, and another that I'm too easy on her. IOW, I took a moderate position, and got blasted from each side.

The last thing the politics forum needs is an incentive against taking moderate positions. :)

PS...it's weird that on the politics forum, and wrt politics in general, people who are the least informed seemed to be the least receptive to that fact. I mean, you don't see patients telling their brain surgeons that they're idiots. It's alot worse in politics, even than sports!! :) I mean, because of its placement, I think one of my "reputation" comments came from a guy who a) doesn't know that the mobile labs weren't for WMDs and b) stuck to his point even after we pointed out that it was gvt. experts who determined that.

16. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    I agree... I just got a gratuitous insult in response to my "where are mybuddies" thread in this forum. Unpleasant and not worthwhile. I assume I'll get another insult in response to this thread from the same anonymous person.

17. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America

I think that a lot of this would be eliminated if there was a name attatched to that slagging. I'm not a fan of the gutless slagging. If I really have a problem with Bill's or anyone else's posts and I think the world needs to know it, I shouldn't have any problem telling that person that it was me who gave them negative marks (and remarks.)

However, a lot of people are going to give bad rep points to people they don't like just for the sake of doing it as long as they know that it'll never be revealed who did it.

18. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    FYI, if you don't want to read the comments, you can click on the little button on the top right of the box. You can still see the point totals, but you can choose not to read the comments if you so wish.

19. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding the comments:

I am not a premium member and I can see comments (if any are offered) by going to My Big Soccer - scroll down to the last box on the page.

Hmmmm...even though I got a rep post with the comment "this is a comment" it did not add or subtract any points to my total. I wonder why that is?

20. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America

The points you give a person when you rep them varies according to your personal reputation status.

A person that has little or no points cannot influence a person's rep points as much as a person with a high count.

21. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, I understand that someone like yourself with tons of rep can have a greater influence. But zero points? Just seems odd - would you rep me so I can see if it adds points.

22. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I've noticed that I can now see who has given me rep on my Control Panel.

23. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Aw, man! How am I supposed to get negative comments now if people have to take responsibility for them? I was having fun trolling for anonymous comments - why do responsible posters have to spoil it for us few bad apples? This blows!

24. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001

Great idea..
    no more anonymous ratings...

25. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good solution. Should cut down on the gratuitous nastiness. It may inhibit the nice comments somewhat as well, and it's too bad, but the system is supposed to encourage civility, not provide another avenue for infantile behavior.

The only bummer now is that the rude stuff has been bumped off the screen since I've gotten six other comments and now I can't see who the jerks were.