Post-match: Republic of Ireland

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by thedukeofsoccer, Jun 2, 2018.

1. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the two Europe games were FIFA dates?

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    4th keeper for the Danish NT would probably be our best keeper.

Using someone's 9th game in eight and a half months to confirm your opinion is kind of weak proof, but when its all you've got, I understand it.

3. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, because it's not that I was aware of that, but just made a typo in the moment. Thank you for your contribution to the forum!

4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it certainly would have improved his chances, seeing as though it's 2 positions he'd have been available for, one of which wasn't SKC's strongest.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd agree that he'd have a better chance due to the numbers, but Sanchez is considered a key part of that team. He often is listed on most underrated players in MLS or lists of that type. He wasn't getting a chance to earn a starting spot, whether he was thought of as a CDM, CB, or CB/CDM.

6. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He might, but Hamid's not supplanting him, so who cares?

Do you remember how Horvath was lampooned after Portugal? Hamid's had a similar experience. Let it go, and we'll see what happens when he starts playing again. In the meantime, he's not a young up-and-comer anymore, he needs to be playing, and playing at a higher level than DCU.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Friendlies do matter to see what works and what doesn't. We learned the other day that Pulisic is unlikely to be ready to play the CAM role and at this point is likely to be better as a winger, for example.

The score in the end, the result, is what doesn't matter, except as a reflection of what did work (or didn't) on the field. Goals due to flukes, ref or keeper mistakes, etc. only tell us that the ref or keeper is not that good.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Actually, we don't know that. Hamid might supplant him. He was brought in for big money (for that league). To think he'd be brought in for that money and never given a chance to start is unlikely, IMO, but maybe not. We'll have to find out.

And you are kind of making my point. He was criticized. No one disagrees he was bad. But its not a great time to judge him. The people who are claiming he needs to never be called in again or things of that ilk are overreacting, and thats what I was saying.

9. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, if it was a cartoon and someone dropped an anvil on gooch compacting him 6 inches shorter

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  10. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I dont think our goalkeeping situation is that bad and is no worse than any other position. Like all over the field, the players before 95s aren't that good, but from 95s on, the players are much better and the numbers continue to increase. The focus should be on these younger players and if they aren't ready, then go with veterans like Guzan, Robles, Melia, etc to fill the gap.

It is a no win situation for a player like Hamid and the team.

11. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    You really took something away from that game that he clearly wanted nothing to do with? It is so odd to look for reasons to limit the role of the most talented player we have ever had. I'd wait until we have a coach and start playing games for real before coming to any conclusion on the kid.

jnielsen repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    For crying out loud, anyone who knows soccer is saying the guy should be a winger, for now, for a reason. He has yet to develop, so the in the future it'll be worth a shot, but not now.

And the keeper situation is worrying. We've always needed top notch keeping to help us against strong teams. Right now, our best keepers are far below what we used to have.

I still hope to be fine for Qatar, though, mainly because it seems the whole region (outside Mexico, and maybe even them) is about to enter a down-cycle.

13. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Jesper Hansen had an excellent 2016-17 season which is why he became NT 4th keeper and was picked up by FCM at the end of the season ... but he has turned 33 and had a fairly poor start at FCM until they changed from 4-4-2 to 3-4-3 ... and it was probably around that time they were negotiating a deal with Hamid, thinking that Hansen perhaps had past his prime .... in Denmark players start at a very young age and often are finished at top level by the time they turn 31, or at least the clubs will be looking for a possible replacement ... but then Hansen suddenly seemed in top shape and Hamid looked shaky in 2 of the 3 important games he got in April ... but obviously Hansen is not getting any younger ...

Deadtigers, russ and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only reason we even finished anywhere near 12 points in the Hex was because we played Pulisic as a 10 for home matches(most of them).

We drew or lost just about every Hex game we stuck him wide. Why? Because the midfield was atrocious and he was stranded on the flank, usually surrounded by 2-3 defenders.

Those arguing for Pulisic not as a 10/ACM for the NT are basically arguing for a last place Hex finish, points behind T&T.

Of course, there's complexities to this beyond 10/not a 10. Playing as a 10 and tipping a diamond is quite different than playing as a 10 in Sarachant's spread 4-1-4-1 with no link options. And sticking him on the wing in a side without a creative central presence to get him on the ball does little good.

Play Pulisic on the wing and we don't thrash CR at home and Clint doesn't get his hat trick. Play him on the wing and we probably draw T&T 0-0 at home instead of beating them 2-0. Play him wide and we likely lose 2-0 at T&T instead of getting a goal from him central which gave us a chance. Stick him wide and we lose 2-0 at home to Honduras with only two SOG, as we did.

Essentially, "should be a winger for a UCL side" is a different convo than "should be a winger for a NT side which can barely string together 3 consecutive passes".

But hey, if we have creative ACM's which allow Pulisic to play wide, I'm all ears.

Deadtigers, yurch10, juveeer and 2 others repped this.
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That Costa Rica game in the Centenario was a total outlier. They played completely against their style, and paid for it. But you cannot take anything away from it, on our side. It was all on the Machillo's decision to try to play an open game against us.

The real Costa Rica is the one that beat us home and away in qualifiers.

russ repped this.
  16. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    who are all these people? if that were the case why would you claim that the Bolivia game taught us that he couldn't play there?

Our gk situation isnt solved but we have over 4 years and quite a few prospects. All we need is one or two to come through.

17. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need more than high press because you can't play it at Azteca, in central America, or I suspect in Qatar(even in the winter)...

juveeer repped this.
  18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Your ears, sir

-------------------------Pulisic + Sargent(9)
    -----adams---mcKennie(10)--Delgado(8)---lletget
    -------------------------------trapp(6)
    ---------------------x-----------x----------x

Actually we just start this way and we adjust as game progresses. We can wave Adams back to fullback or we can move Adams forward to attacking left winger. Same goes for Lletget depending where the opponents weak spot is.

Once the players get playing together well we just keep adding variations and there's always 3 subs.

CNYFC repped this.
  19. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately the fan base falls right in line with Gulati and “those mighty” in this scenario.
    I think that first part gets lost when we win as much as it does when we lose. We had some very sloppy play at times vs Bolivia but it wasn’t the main topic after the match. It was all roses.

The result doesn’t always reflect what did or didn’t work on the field. That’s why it’s more important to look at individual players and watch for their flaws and strengths in friendlies so you can use them in situations where they will succeed in important games.

One thing that was very concerning for me is our defense clearing the ball when they weren’t under pressure. That’s the type of thing we’ve always done against better teams and it shows our players thought Ireland was better than they were.

Another thing that concerns me is Villafaña is not good. I know some people view him as the best of a bad situation but I’m not sure I agree with that. He looks just like every Greg Garza and Justin Morrow that we’ve thrown out there. I’d rather have Lichaj as the default seat warmer for Robinson at this point.

juveeer, Patrick167 and TOAzer repped this.
  20. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to this site
    https://www.climatestotravel.com/climate/qatar
    Qatar is generally pleasant in December. 60s and 70s. Much more bearable than Brazil.

21. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    not ever player in the same its not that simple.

22. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Hamid -
    Lack of playing time causes, shit show...or shit show causes lack of playing time. Chicken/egg, potato/patahto, either way, shit show still stinks.

Yedlin -
    Too busy test driving Rolls Royce Phantoms to bother with this one.

CCV -
    Bumblng, stumbling, cloud of dust

Miazga -
    Bummer. Had MOTM and then gets toasted for game winner. Sigh.

Villafana -
    The placeholderest, placeholder of all time. Will start for the next 6 years.

Trapp -
    Nepotism?

Adams -
    He does a few things with athleticism early, but then what? The hype push for this kid is overblown at Stay Puft Marshmallow Man prepositions.

McKennie -
    Invisible early, better when he pushed forward late.

Weah -
    Potential is there. Needs a loan.

Rubin -
    Doesn't really resemble a soccer player. More like a physical comedy guy.

Wood -
    Gooooool is good. The rest was Hamburgesque.

Parker -
    Did well actually. France gonna France on him though.

Sargent -
    Getting used to what life in Bremen will be like? Run around, barely see ball.

Moore -
    A day he'll remember forever. What an honor to put on the crest. etc. etc.

de la Torre -
    Can't dribble past guys on U-23 Championship side. Lets's confirm that holds at International level. Check.

Corona -
    That's 2 limes now. Still bad.

Deadtigers, juveeer, SCSAutism and 5 others repped this.
  23. Zacarías

Zacarías Member

Real Betis
    Spain
    Jul 19, 2017
    Sevilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    As somebody who’s intensively followed the Republic of Ireland since their failed 2010 WC campaign, I must say that the US did very well for what many in Ireland are saying the US fielded a C team. Minus Doyle, Burke, O’Shea in the starting XI and giving first caps to Enda Stevens and Darragh Lenihan, this was very much the closest you’ll get to the best Irish XI available. That being said, I applaud the US for trying to actually play football and not the ugly hoof ball Ireland usually resorts to. The US could’ve easily gone ahead and put us out of our misery had you guys have not backed off in the second half. I think Hamid is an awful goalkeeper, and even at his age now, Nick Rimando would’ve done better and not gift their first goal. I think many in Ireland will agree that we’d much rather have some of those youngsters playing across Europe as our future rather than some that will be plying their trade in the LOI and League 2. I’d take Weah or Rubio Rubin right now instead of James McClean, who is a horrible player running around like a headless chicken. Hopefully you guys put up a better fight against the French than we did, because like Twellman said, it could’ve easily been 10-0.

24. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Good post, sir.

Always like to hear from a different perspective.

Deadtigers, juveeer and Winoman repped this.
  25. Zacarías

Zacarías Member

Real Betis
    Spain
    Jul 19, 2017
    Sevilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think the US have a bright future ahead with a majority of these young players in Europe. As a Texan who supports Mexico (don’t rip into me lol), I think y’all have a lot to do during this rebuilding process, but if half of these young Americans in Europe pan out, y’all are looking at a bright future! Although y’all have a bit of a hole to fill in the net, as I’m not aware of any talented young keepers coming through, minus Yarborough? I fear Mexico is going to go through the same process in the future, when our “golden generation” fades with Vela, Layun, Guardado, Cheech, Reyes and Memo all leaving their prime after this World Cup.

juveeer and Winoman repped this.