Rep is now visible???

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Rocket, Jan 22, 2007.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You misread his post, or you read something into his post that I don't see.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't think he's speaking so much about the moderating as the gang-banging by a handful of DC fans that happens to non-DC fans that post there. I used to contribute regularly in the DC forum, as I spend a fair amount of time at RFK and have plenty of friends who are DC fans. But I've been driven off by the constant, predictable, personal attacks that happen whenever I post in the DC forum. Attacks that have nothing to do with the content of my post, and everything to do with my "team affiliation".

In fact, I know quite a few DC fans who have pretty much abandoned the DC forums for FFA and other outposts because of the crap there.

And I don't blame the moderators at all. At a certain point, in an online community, if the inmates insist on running the asylum, there's only so much the authorities can really do. I'm sure the DC mods are as frustrated by it as anyone.

3. KesOne

KesOne BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    What is this grade school? Better behaved? Thats what we got mod cops for, they'll handle behavior. Who cares either way.

4. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    How come changes never get explained beforehand?

5. chilistrider

chilistrider Together We Rise

May 9, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, look---the post counts and rep are gone again!

Edit: Uh, no they aren't! I switched to BigSoccer for Rapids, and they don't show up in that view. Now that I'm back to default Gold, the posts & rep are back. Hmm.

6. KesOne

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
  7. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Sheesh, 2 knee surgeries will really shoot up your post count won't it?

8. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    I'd rather have the "Favorite Club" field back instead of visible rep and post count. And the re-sized sigs look terrible.

9. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

*raises hand*

I still go over periodically but over the last couple of years the invasion of the newbie fan has really turned me off of the whole thing.

10. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Sig resize... sucks.

11. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Rep! huh-yeah.
    What is it good for?
    Absolutely nothing
    Say it again y'all!

Actually, I am just posting to see how many green thingies I have :)

12. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Seems like this one is fixed, for now. Thank you.

Thx,

Jay!

13. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    In all fairness to Knave, he's been pretty hands off since Lowecifer and Riz came aboard as mods.

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Hey now, I've got reputation to uphold! So if you would please keep your defamatory comments to youself ...

;)

15. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Ah so rep is visible again.

Well it was fun while it lasted.

Back the "rep me because I say whats popular" threads I guess.

16. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe so, but IMHO the way they run things was certainly influenced by Knave's style.

Good point.

:D

I'm sure you can understand why some people on the board might treat DC fans kind of badly because of the way the DC forum is run, right?

17. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree. The Nike ad takes up a lot of width. It was tolerable when it squeezed only the 2nd post of every page. Now it just compressess the site, taking up a quarter of the screen width.

I realize you guys have to run a business, but most of these people complaining here also keep you in business with membership fees.

Have you explored just putting up a banner at the top of the site for these ads? It's probably less painful to scroll down a few extra lines rather than compressing the screen width for every page.

18. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Respect where respect's due. Thanks for bringing back the club.

19. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep is invisible again.

What will it be tomorrow?

This is fun.

:D

20. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Isn't penis reduction, like... an elective surgery?

B/c taking away the visible rep is like castration or male genital mutilation or something. ;)

21. KesOne

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    My Schwartz is bigger than yours.....

[​IMG]

22. Kevy Metal

Kevy Metal New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so here's a question that will illustrate my limited experience here in the BS forums:

What is "rep" good for? If I accumulate so many rep points do I get a free Big Soccer t-shirt or something? But seriously, there are BS members who are articulate, intelligent people with constructive opinions to contribute to forum discussion who have zero or mabye a few rep points. What does that say about them? And frankly if I find another member to be arrogant, idiotic or condescending I don't care how much rep they have.

Some one please explain the relevance of "rep" to this relative newbie. Thanks mates.

23. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Its meaningless and it is an abused system. One example of such abuse is some litttle cliques that form around people repping each other to artificially inflate their totals (I think its pathetic that adults would act this way).

Well the system was originally intended to help differentiate constructive posters from destructive posters but it has essentially become a popularity contest and as alluded to earlier in this thread when a persons rep totals are not visible its cuts down on the some of the base pandering that occurs when people say thing simply to be popular and gain rep.

Good man.

24. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some would argue that it's primary value is as a measure of the respect/disdain of other members for a given poster. The changes to the rep system referred to by some folks on the thread resulted from the fact that groups of users made a practice of boosting each others' reputation points, thereby undercutting this function. Kind of like grade inflation. This still goes on, but it's muted compared to the way it used to be.

In practice, though, I think what most of us who use reputation like about it is that it adds an extra layer of communication to the site. For example, when I'm trying to be funny by posting ironically I'll sometimes give positive reputation to the person whose post I'm playing off of, I suppose to avoid giving offense where none is intended without having to use winking smilies.

25. Kevy Metal

Kevy Metal New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm. Sounds like a system that has worn out its use and should be discontinued.

But, whatever it's not the end of all things good.