Reno 1868 FC Super Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by matbluvenger, Jul 28, 2015.

1. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are some real winners out there hiding in their parent's basement still no doubt. Sheesh.

matbluvenger repped this.
  2. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many people also just don't realize how hard it is to make a pro team and think that the guy who can dribble in their local beer league could make it in MLS (much less the USL). It's great to have local talent but if you're not good enough, you shouldn't be on the roster just because you're local.

2in10 and Blando13 repped this.
  4. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #405 falvo, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    I saw Mac Prindham and Matt LaGrassa play in college and they were both good in college then I lost track....

6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know if Ian has hired any assistant coaches yet? There's not a lot of info on either the Reno or Quakes sites about the team, coaches, and so on.

thanks!

7. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    News is coming out piece by piece. Ian hasn't hired any assistants yet but there have been six player signings.

Check out their twitter or facebook accounts for up to date info. Or check here because I'll be posting everything important

8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @matbluvenger, I have noticed and appreciate your posts (in spite of the LA logo in your avatar). I'll go check on their facepalm page.

I'm a longtime Quakes fan. So I'm coming at it from that angle. In theory, the Quakes are hiring a new Big Time GM (BTGM) who will set the style for all Quakes related teams, including Reno 1868. I'm getting a little skeptical of that, given that they are looking at Tab Ramos as one of the candidates. But whatever. I like Ian and want to see what he can do as head coach, freed from the Yallop-Kinnear coaching tree. I expect him to go much more offensive. It's his inclination.

I hope to get down there for a game or two, but we'll see. My 2017 calendar is already looking crowded.

Go 1868!!

- Mark

9. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I get a lot of crap from the Brigade members who are SJ fans. Thus is my plight.

Ian looks like he is making a lot of good offensive signings. I'm hoping for some high pressing attack.

10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ian's inclination is to run a very offensively oriented team, but I don't know how much liberty he'll have to do that.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Isn't that what every new coach says, that they want to play an attacking style?

12. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Falvo buddy, I live the Pacific NorthWet, home to Ian Russell, his family, and friends. I am quite confident that Ian wants to play a more attacking style of soccer. I am all but certain that he has felt restricted by conservative head coaches.

NOW, it might be that this is Ian's friends saying nice things about him, and he might really be infected with Yallopitis. I could be wrong here. It's not like I knocked back a couple of pints with Ian after a dismal defensive display by our guys and chatted with him about it. I do not claim to have discussed coaching styles and team strategies with Ian. But his buddies say he wants a much more offensive approach to the game. I'm hoping that we get to see that with Reno 1868.

Go Reno!!

- Mark

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Actually, although I don't really know him personally, I know many of Ian's former colleagues and friends and they all say the same thing. That he is a good guy and all but that he isn't really a great professional coach. They all say he was an ok as a youth coach with the De Anza Force academy but that was about.

14. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's my impression that San Jose is responsible for the coaching staff and players. If that's the case, I would expected the majority of the players to come after the start of the MLS preseason.

15. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That sounds right. In 2016 Rio Grande Valley, which is being run similarly by the Dynamo, announced several of their USL contract players at the end of January and the beginning of February last year. Most of the players worked out with the Dynamo until the RGV training camp opened in mid-February.

16. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I remember correctly, when Ian came over he said they would be signing 17-18 USL contacts by the time our preseason starts (the invitational tryout will be in late-January.) Then each week we will get ~5 players from SJ that didn't make the matchday roster of 18.

17. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reno to host friendly against Sacramento on March 11th

817092540071428096 is not a valid tweet id

18. Stephen York

Stephen York Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL.
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Are they going to cover over the dirt infield for Reno games? Sorry if this was discussed earlier.

19. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They did for the Sac vs Salt Lake last year. I would assume so; standard practice in baseball stadiums housing soccer teams.

The pitchers mound is the wildcard. Some baseball stadiums do not like to move it, affecting the soccer field layout. (Exhibit #1 is Yankee Stadium- they could widen the pitch quite a bit if they would move the mound.) Not sure what Reno will do; cant remember from the exhibition game.

20. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've said from the start that they won't move the mound. Too heavy and costly.

The dirt will always be covered. They did a really good job over the summer. Looked better than Yankee Stadium and the players said it felt good. The grounds crew have done their homework.

21. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have the back line in place it appears now. Getting jazzed for the season.

25. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season opener is against Orange County at home, March 25th!