Reno 1868 FC: USL affiliate of the Earthquakes

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Feb 6, 2017.

1. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Wouldn’t it make sense for Sac Republic to affiliate with Reno though? Players and fans would easily be able to travel back and forth to support both now that Sac will be in MLS. I think Almeyda really likes to train his young players with his first team. That can be more easily accomplished if his USL team is in Monterey instead of Reno. If Russell is hired to coach in Monterey you know it’s a done deal...

TallSierra and 2in10 repped this.
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If Fresno relocates to Leon Panetta's Cal State Monterey Bay campus, the players can stay in the old Fort Ord barracks. That way they can save money on rent....

2in10 repped this.
  3. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds out of the Ordinary!

4. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Obviously you have not seen what the barracks now look like since they closed the base.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #855 falvo, Nov 3, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Yes I was being facetious and my nephew attended CSUMB there .

Looking forward to seeing the California Jaguars again w/ Ramiro as their coach! :thumbsup:

6. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point was that the relationships were all short-term lowest-cost arrangements. If the Reno relationship ends this year, as 2in10 indicated might be in process, then it is another palm leaf to add to the discard pile.

So far the biggest asset to come out of these relationships must be Nick Lima. I don't see how an "international coaching showcase at Stanford" benefits the organization.

Didn't we set up something for a very short while when Frank Yallop was in Fresno? I can't recall...

7. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, you measure the success of these affiliations on whether or not they produced a player for us?
    I only mentioned the Stanford coaching event to show that the partnership with the DFB is ongoing, and is just not another "failed" affiliation. Here is the Quakes press release on it and what it is meant to accomplish.
    https://www.sjearthquakes.com/post/...rman-football-association-agree-collaboration
    Fresno? Never heard anything regarding the Quakes.

SalinasQuakesFan and TallSierra repped this.
  8. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn’t that the point of all those lower league affiliations, to help develop or discover players?

And the point of the DFB relationship was ostensibly to share technical knowledge like performance analysis. Apparently that has primarily been useful for the academy players...

9. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Affiliations some times succeed but most likely fail more often. Scouts can be wrong more often than not due to many factors. If a team gets a player a year through affiliations then they probably are doing quite well. Affiliates are also used to get injured players a bit of playing time before putting them on the field or to keep them acclimated to playing.

As to the DFB relationship that sounds like where it would be most useful and during training sessions otherwise one would hope.

mjlee22, TallSierra and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  10. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TallSierra repped this.
  11. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

So, to put that in familiar terms; Herb Simon is the John Fisher of Nevada?

Quakes05, mjlee22 and TallSierra repped this.
  12. TallSierra

TallSierra Member

Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Jul 7, 2019
    Reno Nevada USA
    Simon though is an out of town owner. Although if neither will spend money on their teams then as fans it doesn’t really matter. You kind of knew going in though what Simon was going to spend (or not) with 1868 FC. He’s owned the NBA Pacers for years and spends just enough to keep them “competitive” but never “contenders.”

Quakes05 repped this.
  13. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, just saw the other thread that SAC just got rid of Simon Elliott. If the earlier speculation about Reno is true, I wonder if SAC would go for Ian Russell? I guess SAC has to identify a coach to migrate them from USL to MLS. Maybe Ian would not fit that bill.

14. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. TallSierra

TallSierra Member

Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Jul 7, 2019
    Reno Nevada USA
    2in10 repped this.
  16. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juggling the putting out your most cohesive team to potentially win any given game and thus eventually a championship vs giving playing time to affiliate MLS team's players or the players they'd most like to see more of would seem to be really difficult. It's very interesting what people's thoughts are on how you really best do that. I hope the organization doesn't lose Ian Russell over this issue and the stress it must create. I also hope the Quakes don't lose the affiliation with Reno. I'm a fan from afar and would stay one. I'll watch and enjoy whether Quakes' loanees play or not. But I would prefer if they stay affliated and just continue to try to adapt to Matias' preferred style and sign the players suited to it.

2in10, TallSierra and SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I don’t think there were severe issues the first 2 years but this season had more difficulties. Reno may not work out under Almeyda because he seems to want all Quake players to train together in San Jose. Just showing up at Reno games without training with the team in a “guest player” capacity is not conductive to cohesive play. Ian looked uneasy with it as I’m sure he was hearing plenty of grousing in the club house from non-affiliated Reno guys.

mjlee22, 2in10 and TallSierra repped this.
  18. TallSierra

TallSierra Member

Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Jul 7, 2019
    Reno Nevada USA
    Most telling to me this past season was Ian going on the regional tv sports network- Nevada Sports Net- and unprompted saying Reno 1868 FCs next “priority” was getting its own soccer stadium. That to me was a “shot across the bow” to both team ownership and management. A head coach doesn’t just go on tv and say something like that without a specific reason. Of course crickets in response to that from Reno 1868. Ian as any competent professional coach would expects the obvious from a committed organization- it’s own stadium, own training grounds/facility and own academy. If Reno can’t provide what more and more USL and even League One teams can in basic facilities then there’s no reason to believe he’d stay.

2in10 repped this.
  19. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    First, the Reno coaches are Quakes coaches. Second, games can be filmed. Maybe you lose a little bit by not being able to see some stuff in person, not really sure if this is true or not. Now, I don't know what kind of setup Reno has with regard to collecting data, but it's not as if it isn't possible. Third, pro teams have had affiliates across the entire country and been able to keep tabs on player progress. Proximity has its benefits without a doubt, but it's not an especially big hurdle in modern day.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #870 falvo, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Doyle evalutated all his players by film. That didn't turn out too well though...

due time and don gagliardi repped this.
  21. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's an oversimplification. Highlight reels is not what I meant by film, nor would anybody reasonably think it's an appropriate substitute. Doyle was terrible at his job. That doesn't equate to filmed games not being useful in player evaluation.

The more important point, though, is Reno having Quakes staff actually run the team exactly so they can keep in close contact on player progress. It's like a satellite office. Like I said, proximity is nice, certainly. But Reno isn't all that far, well within the possibility of some of the first team staff getting a chance to go see them in person on occasion. Reno being too far away to be beneficial to the Quakes is just not accurate.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Whether he was great or terrible at his job is another story because Doyle anyway, had ever modern innovative scouting technique at his disposal.

Same went for Ian , Dom and Frank. Also, Ian was part of their staff and is still part of the organizaiton as you stated so I'm sure he is using their same scouting methods. Unless he magically learned a new trick in the last year which I highly doubt.

23. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't understand what you're trying to get at here. I'll just restate that Reno's distance from San Jose is not inherently a barrier to its effectiveness as an affiliate. At all.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #874 falvo, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Of course it’s a barrier because its far and not all that easy as you suggest.
    It takes 5-6 hours one way (and 12 to and from) by car or bus for one of our coaches to go there and evaluate a players progress in person.

If Almeyda for example wants to see a player and potentially move him up for a midweek game, it is not all that easy to get him here unless you fly him out. That's not even including getting him setup with accommodations or housing.

If he drives by car or bus , he can very likely be exhausted by the time he gets to San Jose. No player is really even worth the costs at that point. There is more to coaching than just watching film. Especially with younger players.

I think all coaches and GM's want potential players playing locally or nearby so they can judge them daily or weekly. That has been going on for over 100 years.

TallSierra repped this.
  25. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fyp.