Reno 1868 FC: USL affiliate of the Earthquakes

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Feb 6, 2017.

1. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard he is in Ian's doghouse. Probably multiple issues between them. He has fallen out of the lineup after both times that he has conceded penalties.

TallSierra repped this.
  2. TallSierra

TallSierra Member

Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Jul 7, 2019
    Reno Nevada USA
    Thanks much! What happens off the field Always more interesting to me than what happens on it!! lol and obviously one affects the other as well! Interesting though that the team didn’t pick up another defender during its recent signing spree.

2in10 repped this.
  3. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have liked to see another defender picked up also. Off the field intrigue can be quite interesting at times.

TallSierra repped this.
  4. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Haji, Calvillo and Partida started along side JT.
    Haji was subbed out at 66
    Calvillo made it through the whole game.
    Partida red carded at 80 after a bad challenge and a previous dissent yellow card.
    I only caught the last 20 minutes of the game so don't have a good feel for a game that has an off feel since it was on TV.
    According to the conversation roll Haji and Calvillo seemed to have been influential in the first half on offense.
    Reno is now qualified for the playoffs and is temporarily back in second place in the West.

DotMPP repped this.
  5. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  8. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Can anybody summarize what the article says, I am in purgatory, bouncing between various sites (none of which are the actual article) all of which want me to spend money on something... none of which I am certain will actually let me read the article).

TallSierra repped this.
  9. TallSierra

TallSierra Member

Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Jul 7, 2019
    Reno Nevada USA
    Reno 1868 FC twitter account has link to Sergio Rivas/Quakes article. As of right now- you can read it free and open.

2in10 repped this.
  10. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haji scored his first goal tonight in 1868's win in Loss Vegas.
    Reno is in second place and with a win in Tulsa next Saturday will own the 2nd seed in the Western Conference and the potential of at least 3 home games.

https://www.reno1868fc.com/news_article/show/1056481

The win tonight also makes Reno the 2nd team to win 50 games in their first 3 season in the league. A win at Tulsa with tie Cincinnati for the most.

TallSierra repped this.
  11. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2nd seed in the west secured.

A very good, dominating performance.
    Partida and Bersano started Partida was subbed off at 81 for Paradela making Paradela eligible for the playoffs. Kevin is looking like he has blended in and Matt had a nice shutout with a couple of nice saves.
    Calvillo came on at 61 and looked dangerous at times.
    Haji subbed in at 73 and looked dangerous at times also.
    Reno will play the higher seed of Wednesday's play in games next Saturday. A win would mean another home game on the following Saturday.

TallSierra repped this.
  12. SoccerIsOurLife

Feb 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should have corrected my original post about players needing 5 games to qualify for playoffs. It applies only to players who were loaned throughout the season from the Earthquakes. As long as the Reno player was on the roster at the cutoff point, they are eligible no matter how many games played, etc. So, Trianni and even Valencia are probably good. I do not know what that cut off date is or was. I just remembered last year that Jimmy Ockford could not play in the playoffs because he had not played 5 games with Reno.
    The OKC announcers were very fair yesterday and complimentary of Reno's play throughout the game. That made watching the game so much better because it doesn't happen often. Reno looked good. I am just curious about why Kevin Partida asked for the sub. I hope all is well with him.

TallSierra and 2in10 repped this.
  13. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the update on eligibility. I thought it was all players.
    I would like to know also but doubt we'll hear anything on it. He took a lot of hits so maybe he was tightening up.

TallSierra repped this.
  14. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reno vs. Sacramento playoff game getting started now.

15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #815 xbhaskarx, Oct 26, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    1-1 already...

Why am I only getting the audio and not the video on ESPN+? Is this on television here in the bay area?

Edit: never mind, restarted and it's working now

16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    The 3-1 loss has to fall somewhat on Ian Russell’s shoulders. They played better than Sac the first half but his second half subs failed while Sac, which had a Weds night game, got stronger as the game went on. Reno’s defense couldn’t handle the high press and Sac moves on.

xbhaskarx and TallSierra repped this.
  17. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard that a lot of Quakes brass and personnel were here in Reno all week. Sounds like they are looking to take greater control of the team. Sounds as though Reno will become more like a 2 squad if what we heard from players yesterday is true.

18. SoccerIsOurLife

Feb 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, only because the midfield lost every ball. They could not stop any press and gave it up every time. They played very slow, as well. Needed to be quicker and smoother in their passing. Definitely not the team that wanted to win that game. Sac deserved to win.

TallSierra and 2in10 repped this.
  19. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has been the issue all year against the better sides and more athletic opponents. It was an ugly, tough and disappointing way to end the season.

Well on to next season and to see what changes are wrought.

TallSierra and SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  20. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    What differences are they proposing? Players live and train in San Jose with the first team?

21. TallSierra

TallSierra Member

Reno 1868 FC
    United States
    Jul 7, 2019
    Reno Nevada USA
    The USL Championship is definitely not a “development” league anymore- if indeed it really ever was. League One has apparently taken over that role. USL certainly more competitive now with independent teams (like Phoenix) not afraid to spend $ on veteran players. Sacramento had the best player on the pitch Saturday with their veteran MLS goalkeeper- on loan from Minnesota. Wouldn’t be surprised that MLS teams including the Quakes would want more control over their affiliates. Wonder if the Quakes are looking to actually buy 1868 FC. Certainly the current owner is “invisible” - never heard him even give an interview about the team or even if he attends any games. At 85 he’s obviously not actively involved in the daily operations of the team in Reno! Certainly the team did Not perform well at all Saturday with the San Jose top guns in attendance. Yes i heard they were in 1 of the suites during the playoff match. Also saw Zach Carroll after the game walking toward locker room. Still don’t know why 1 of the few Reno players within championship experience and a former captain and starter disappeared from the team roster. Guess they didn’t need his experience in the game. ‍♂️

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #822 falvo, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Wow their current owner is “invisible”? Doesn't that sounds familiar?

TallSierra and bsman repped this.
  23. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #823 2in10, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Haven't heard more than taking more control of the on pitch side. I believe that the Reno FO will only be responsible for promoting the team and local administration.
    Heard that Almeyda was upset that Galindo wasn't getting more playing time as well as the other players sent here from SJ.
    I wouldn't be surprised Russell is gone. He seemed far less upset over the team performance than we saw during the rest of the season.
    Heard that most if not all of the players that were not assigned from or on loan from SJ were released. Apparently they may have known prior to the start of the match.
    Most of the players went directly to the locker room after the match and Russell did not prevent them from doing so. This is something he made sure did not happen at the last known home match in the previous seasons.

Will try to remember to update this thread with info as we get it.

mjlee22 and TallSierra repped this.
  24. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only reason we had a team start here is the Reno mayor had Simon over a barrel due to him not paying his taxes and loans on Greater Nevada Field. She was the one who suggested he get a soccer team due to strong enough community interest.

markmcf8 and TallSierra repped this.
  25. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about the Quakes buying the team as they would have to most likely have to build a stadium or pay rent to Simon. That sounds like more of an investment than their ownership has shown. I think USL would most likely require a new stadium by their current rules as the Quakes would not control the stadium.
    Simon is the owner on Meadowood Mall and other properties in the area. He supposedly saw about half of the matches the first season.
    Russell has a doghouse if you cross him and supposedly Carroll had several times.
    I don't expect to hear much until after the season ends and even then not much until after the winter meetings.

TallSierra repped this.