Reno 1868 FC: USL affiliate of the Earthquakes

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Feb 6, 2017.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Proving once again that the college draft means nothing. I'm all for colleges producing players but they should just eliminate the draft because I don't see the point of it. It isn’t like the NFL or NBA where top players turn your program around. I don't think I've ever seen players come in right away and make an impact.

bsman repped this.
  2. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I won't disagree with this. I believe the only reason we have an MLS "superdraft" (sounds sort of ironic, doesn't it?) is because the "other" sports (except baseball, as far as I know) have a similar, glitzy, media-driven event and it flatters MLS to pretend it's at the same level. We need to stop pretending that a college draft is at all meaningful.

3. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    From a league perspective, there's really no reason to get rid of the draft. It allows them to bring in what collegiate talent is available, and do so in a way that is orderly, if not necessarily fair. It saves teams from having to spend a lot of time scouting colleges individually, which I think they wouldn't bother with at all if there wasn't a draft. I could do without the pomp and circumstance around the event, but I can't see a direct benefit of killing it off entirely from the league perspective.

markmcf8 and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They are already scouting the colleges. My main point is though, not so much that they should do away with the draft entirely but it seems that most college players no one knows or don't do that much are the better performers when it comes to the pros. Most of the top draft picks don't do as well as other lower round or even free agents.
    Just looking at the Hermann trophy winners will give you an idea about that...

upload_2019-4-1_11-17-47.png

5. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
  7. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    He can play on both sides of the back line

2in10 repped this.
  8. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is probably the spot he will play for us.

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    How long before the Quakes “Partida” La Croix?

2in10 and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  10. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question. Hopefully never, but we will see.

11. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd sign him today if I had anything to say about it.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  12. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooof! We looked Quakes bad.

JT and Haji started.
    JT looked bad. 1st goal went right through the middle of the wickets.
    Haji looked OK, but either dribbled into or passed to defenders most of the time. Had a nice shot saved, subbed off at 69' for Rivas.
    Apodaca came on at the half and scored our lone goal on a nice rebound volley.
    Gallindo subbed on at the half and played well. Should be starting in place of Janjigian who he replaced.

13. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looked lost and like shite today after spending time in San Jose.

14. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Total coincidence. Right? Right?

markmcf8 repped this.
  15. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haji looks very raw, but he needs to play to know how fast a learner he can be. I see the potential there and I don’t think they had any intention of him being with the 1st team Quakes in this season.

2in10 repped this.
  16. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bersano and Rivas started. Bersano had 4 saves, only one that was tough. Rivas played the whole match and looked OK. Conditions were tough and there was a 2.5 hours delay to the start to clear the field. Aune was in the 18 but did not play. Not sure if I missed any other Quakes players. Our first win against Colorado Springs.

Rivas looks like he should improve nicely as he becomes more comfortable playing as a pro. He doesn't look out of place on the field nor intimidated.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  17. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a hard worker. With Casiple, you definitely get the "hard working midfield" vibe.

2in10 repped this.
  18. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He definitely does work hard. He is a bit too error prone at times, too. Good guy though.

Rivas definitely works hard, too. He has seemed to fit in nicely with the guys from last year. Definitely must be coachable as Russell doesn't play guys who don't show understanding and buy in of his system.

19. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    How good does Galindo Junior look for Reno?

20. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has looked solid in his appearances. He has not started so the longest we have seen him is for 45 minutes. He has ready to play and has been an improvement on the player he replaced. He has not appeared as a weak spot. He looks comfortable on the ball and has not appeared to be out of position. I would like to see him get more playing time.

DotMPP and xbhaskarx repped this.
  21. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Thank you for the reply. His criticism at Chivas was mainly that he was too casual with ball in the back. He got stripped a couple of times that lead to easy goals. I’m hoping that didn’t wreck his confidence and he will be able to develop secure passing out of the back. I think he’s got pro athleticism.

22. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't look casual on the ball when he had it nor did he look like he was worried about being dispossessed. He seems to be OK confidence wise but I think a couple of full games will be needed to be certain. He is behind Carroll and Klimenta and fighting for 3rd choice with Janjigian. Jiggy is probably ahead of him since he was the starter until we got Klimenta.

23. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-1 win.

JT was in goal.
    Rivas started played 62 and scored the first goal.
    Haji started and played 63. Played his best game so far. Made fewer mistakes lost the ball less.

24. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A very limp, pathetic showing in a 1-0 loss against a bunch flopping French floozies. The ref was another stinking pile.

Bersano, Haji and Rivas started.
    Bersano was his usual very solid self.
    Haji was a tepid, unsure mess. Subbed off at 57'.
    Rivas was nearly invisible. Subbed off at 64'.
    Mendiola and Mfeka were their replacements. Energy level increased when they entered but the damage was done for the performance. Second lifeless road performance in the last three. El Paso did not deserve the win but neither did we.

25. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reno is playing at Sacramento right now in the US Open Cup. Live on ESPN+. Still 0-0 after 60 minutes. Marcinkowski is playing, so he's cup-tied and can't play for the Quakes in the tournament. Sacramento's field has very poor drainage in the rain.

markmcf8 repped this.