Reno 1868 FC: USL affiliate of the Earthquakes

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Feb 6, 2017.

1. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    S2 was a threat on the counter only and that was snuffed out when Qwiberg was subbed out.
    Our offense and defense looked no different after Mfeka got his second card. S2 had no ability to take advantage of the change.

2. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reno won 4-1 tonight over Los Dos. JT was hung out to dry by his defense again on the goal.
    Calvillo, Marie, Fernandes and Wehan looked good. Musovsky couldn't quite crack the defense for a goal. Wehan hit a free kick goal. Hoppenot scored and van Ewijk had a brace. Thiaw got a 10 minute cameo and tried for a bicycle kick goal shortly after coming on, but it was blocked.

https://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/933553

3. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2in10 repped this.
  5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Russell can’t lose and Stahre can’t win. Maybe this is a case where the affiliate is better than the big club.

bsman, 2in10 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  6. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I posited earlier in this thread that a straight-up swap (Quakes for Reno) couldn't possibly end up worse for us!

7. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After our 4th game we had 1 point and were at the bottom of the pile of all 33 teams. We currently have 37 points, the 2nd most points of all 33 teams.

8. DasMoots

DasMoots Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Never been a fan of the Yallop coaching tree but it looks like Russel has a clue and is not playing route1 English boot ball.

Great analysis here;

Quakesepicenter.com

9. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the coach of the affiliate is a lot better and that's making a great deal of the difference. No maybe about it for me on that.

If there's anything that worries me about Reno, who are of course, very watchable...is that they might have a few too many players that we'd like to see how they perform but they can't get minutes with Luis Felipe, Chris Wehan, Tommy Thompson playing there so much. Those guys need playing time as well and I don't begrudge them it, but I'd still like to see more of Musovsky, Thiaw, Mark Anothy Gonzalez, Ivan Valencia, Eric Calvillo than we actually are. Paul Marie has lately seemed to get a fair bit of playing time, but still could be more. He sure seems a lot better in midfield than as an outside back.

It sure seems like Qwiberg is a lost cause at any level.

Sactown Soccer and 2in10 repped this.
  10. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree there may be too many bodies here in Reno for seeing players. Musovsky has had the most playing time of the group you mentioned. Thiaw is quite raw and inconsistent but seems to be very athletic. Calvillo does get some time and he has looked good when he does. Gonzalez and Valencia may need to show more in practice to get into the 18 and then hopefully the XI. Qwiberg may be a journeyman D2 at best. He has looked fine against average athletes but against Seattle 2 he looked out of his league against their winger's pace. Marie has looked pretty good most matches but agree better in the midfield.

When Brown cools off I would expect to see more playing time for Musovsky.

Ian seems to have a very good ability to get a lot out of the players. He has found his rotation and is running with it. Luis Felipe has his detractors here in Reno as he was quite poor when he came back. He is looking better and there are less complaints when he is in the lineup. We love Wehan and are so happy to have him back but are also saddened that he is not getting time with the Quakes. We are also quite happy to have Tommy playing also.

If last year's friendly against Atlas is any indication then just about every player in Reno Saturday will see playing time against Monarcas Morelia.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  11. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad they're doing this. Maybe more friendlies would even be better. If Akanyirige and Fuentes visited, you'd think they'd have nearly enough to put out a squad without touching the next played gameday 18, or at least for sure not the next league match's planned first 11. I know opponents worthy of opening up the stadium aren't always available, but there should be some things they could do about the playing time shortage. I know they shipped out a couple of players, but they still seem too deep, which doesn't sound like it could be a thing.

2in10 repped this.
  12. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might be close. Our next league match is 7/28 then 8/8 and then 8/18 so numbers and playing time is probably moot. But I guess there definitely will be a few scrimmages and I would say the more the merrier for them. It would have been nice to get another friendly but the Aces will be in town so that shoots down any more friendlies. We need a SSS badly so we can do just these things with the schedule. Oh well, I suspect we have to wait for at least 5 years before we know when the stadium may happen.

13. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Keep winning and the pressure to build the stadium builds.

2in10 repped this.
  14. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2in10 and don gagliardi repped this.
  15. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  16. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :(

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Being forced to play for a winner instead of a loser while making the same salary?

Earthshaker and xbhaskarx repped this.
  18. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will happily take him for as long as the Quakes wish to keep him here. He has done a good job and has fit in well in Ian's system.

xbhaskarx and RocktheCasbah4 repped this.
  19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the one hand, that’s good to hear.

On the other hand, not sure what it means when Reno’s system is not the Quakes’ system...

2in10 repped this.
  20. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, it would be good to have similar if not the same system.

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the Quakes' winless streak reaches 12 games, Reno's 16 game unbeaten streak ends:

HIGHLIGHTS | RNO 1-2 STL (7/28/18)
    FINK, STLFC BATTLE BACK TO END RENO'S UNBEATEN RUN

Sam Fink's second half stoppage-time winner stopped 1868 FC's 16-match unbeaten streak as Saint Louis took home three points in front of more than 6,000 fans at Greater Nevada Field.

Wonder what Eric Calvillo did to get a red card...

22. 2in10

2in10 Member+

United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He got his 2nd yellow on the foul shown in the replay. His first was in the 11th minute. I was not at the game but St. Louis came out of the gate with nasty fouls and the game quickly got out of hand as the ref was apparently terrible according to folks who went to the game.

23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2in10, bsman, MtnGardener and 2 others repped this.
  24. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    davez repped this.