Reno 1868 FC: USL affiliate of the Earthquakes

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Feb 6, 2017.

1. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I ordered tickets for this weeks ago (via my newly assigned rep) and just realized they never showed up though he said he'd send them in an email. Did you all get your tickets for this? We may not go after all.

2. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Did you check you electronic Quakes account in case he put them there?

3. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That I did. The Minnesota game is the first one there!

4. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How did the story end today?

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Kudos to the traveling Reno supporters. Liked how they remained vibrant even down several goals, which is more than I can say for some over-hyped MLS team supporters who have visited Avaya.

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SeaJayBee, don gagliardi and 2in10 repped this.
  7. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are just wild and crazy, chanting fools. We had a great time in spite of the terrible first half.

8. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

That’s very promising to me. Given that this team was lagging in almost every technical and business category during the Kaval/Doyle years, it is extremely encouraging to see us in the vanguard, now. I hope that this also carries over into our performance on the field, but even so, it’s good to see us leading, rather than lagging.

don gagliardi and 2in10 repped this.
  9. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Glad we’re not treating Reno fc like we treated sacramento.

10. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe it was Sac that didn't want to deal with the Quakes as they had MLS aspirations and didn't feel they were a "lesser" club.

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely think there were problems on both sides.
    -The Quakes didn't want to partner with Sacramento, so they partnered with Portland. Quakes were like "waah that's not fair" and Sacramento ended up being the affiliate of two MLS teams
    -The Quakes "brain trust" of Doyle, Kinnear, etc. didn't seem all that interested in the utilizing the USL affiliation, or in developing younger players in general
    -Preki was really difficult to work with, to put it mildly

All those problems have been resolved
    -Reno and SJ aren't ever going to be rivals as Reno has no MLS ambitions
    -The new front office and coaching staff in San Jose actually cares about the affiliation and developing players
    -The nature of the SJ-Reno affiliation means Reno has a coach in Russell who actually cares about the affiliation and developing players

12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marcinkowski and Calvillo playing for Reno, alongside Thierjung and Mfeka... Nuphaus and Thiaw on the bench.

Calvillo scores

Thiaw almost scores

1-0 Reno

2in10 and don gagliardi repped this.
  13. Venceremos

Venceremos Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    After that friendly against Reno I saw so much negativity here. The game was over after half an hour when the Quakes already scored 4. A little different than exactly one year ago when, under Kinnear, the Quakes were dominated and got lucky to beat Reno 1-0. After scoring 4, the boys stopped, because it was in nobody's interest to humiliate our little brother. Today's win against the Sounders proves that Reno is no joke. The Quakes making them look like it after 30 minutes just shows that we have a strong team this year. Cheer up, people!

SoccerIsOurLife, 2in10, sacrxy and 2 others repped this.
  14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #264 xbhaskarx, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    In fairness Seattle only started three of their presumed starters (Dempsey, Bruin, Nouhou) as they have another game against Sacramento Republic later today. But still a win is a win, and that Dempsey guy is pretty good. And the Sounders should be further along in their preparation than most MLS teams (and certainly USL teams, as their season doesn't begin for almost a month), since they have CCL games coming up soon.

Apparently they played at UC Davis:

I guess that makes sense if they're playing in Sacramento later today... Useless trivia: both the Sounders and Quakes organizations Davis connections: Former Sounder (now with the Revs) Jalil Anibaba (who spent three years at Santa Clara U) went to Davis High. Former and current and soon to be former Quake Quincy Amarikwa went to UC Davis.

15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops I forgot Musovski, also on the bench... not sure what Kevin Partida's absence means...

16. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I would be very careful about making grand transitive property conclusions (A>B, B>C, therefore A>>C) based on 2 preseason scrimmages. I doubt that the Quakes will be way better than Seattle this year.

2in10 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    But, by all means, make grand pronouncements regarding intended style-of-play based on limited preseason action. :)

SeaJayBee, 2in10 and SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  18. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    More useless trivia.......Adam Jahn is from El Macero, an unincorporated golf community, which locals consider part of Davis

xbhaskarx repped this.
  19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    ...and the coach's historical record, and some analysis of the coach's previous team's style of play.

Now applying the same kind of recent historical perspective to SJ vs. Seattle, there is all the more reason to believe that SJ will not be far better than Seattle this year. :)

2in10 repped this.
  21. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We tied when we put in our scrubs (apples to apples comparison with this Seattle game), plus pre-season makes all results irrelevant.

2in10 and JazzyJ repped this.
  22. Sactown Soccer

Jul 29, 2007
    Redding
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have an interesting story to share today. Yesterday my UPSL team the Redding Royals, played against Reno 1868. We lost 7-1 :(. But it was a good experience, and for myself playing on the left of a back 3, I was just glad to make a couple of tackles and connect the majority of my passes. Our one goal was kind of comical. I almost felt bad for their player. Their center back was trying to switch the ball to the other CB and kicked the ground. The ball trickled to our forward who spotted the keeper off his line a little bit and slotted the ball in while he was back peddling.

I didn't recognize most of their players and I haven't been following super closely who from the Quakes has been with Reno. But I did think I saw Calvillo. Not sure though. If anyone who knows who all was sent down there could shed some light on that situation I might be able to say if I saw them or not.

Also it was crazy to see Ian Russel in person and shake his hand after the game, and see how much taller I am than him. Overall really cool experience, just thought some of you might appreciate it.

SoccerMan94043, bsman, due time and 6 others repped this.
  23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Very cool story. I always enjoy reading posts from guys that have played ball at a good level.

Regarding Russel, I saw him at a tourney in Morgan Hill about 6-7 years ago it was literally 114 degrees. He was coaching a team in the upper bracket. He was walking around without his shirt on flexing...all I could think of was Robert Conrad.

DotMPP repped this.
  25. Sactown Soccer

Jul 29, 2007
    Redding
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Yeah it's always cool to hear little stories of games and things that people do that aren't on tv, such as these preseason games or a pro coach/player coaching another teams tournament.

So he was still in good shape back then I take it?
    Uh who's Robert Conrad?

2in10 repped this.