Reno 1868 FC Super Thread

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by matbluvenger, Jul 28, 2015.

1. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping to see some crest concepts but yeah I Could see them going with jacks. Somebody mentioned Reno Rush FC which kind of like but hey it's not my team . Would be nice if they stayed from 1868 though . I have never liked numbers for team\club names. They could go completely off the wall with something like Reno Roulette FC which would be cool I guess

2. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    To follow with the gambling theme:

Reno Deuces (or some variation of it ie. double deuces)

My fave- Reno Jokers (with a cool angry joker crest :D)

Reno Jackpot

Reno Wildcards

Reno Lowball

Reno Highrollers

3. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reno Biggest Little Soccer Club would be cool imo

artml and Salvadanish repped this.
  4. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Emulate Hearts?

[​IMG]

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Two notable clips from a survey the Reno USL team just sent out to their mailing list.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That VIP Pitch view section is a really neat idea. It'll cause more wear and tear on the field, but that must not be something they are worried about

7. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice, I was going to post something about this. But then again I had planned on posting something about the first focus group two weeks ago, and then the second one this week.... but school and all that.

The survey has very much the same questions they asked us at the focus groups.

But here's some quick notes on the focus group (I posted this on the supporters FB page

Now, as far as the second group, the repeat visit people went with the president and had other discussions about behind the scenes stuff. But when we all came back together there were some people who wanted the amenities of the VIP section to be on par with NFL or something... basically asking a lot of the FO for tickets that probably won't exceed $50 per game. And there was a meathead proposing things that absolutely won't work either in soccer culture or in the budget that they are trying to keep for the team. Many people were suggesting bring the corner section in with stands and taking out the pitchers mound, without realizing the logistics and cost of doing so (THAT SHIT WEIGHS 7 TONS! The FO are already asking a lot of the groundskeeper to make the changes between soccer and baseball).

But I must say, I'm beyond excited that Reno 1868 seemed to stick. When I mentioned that name in the first focus group when we were all together, people really seemed to like it. The president really liked it as well, saying that it starts a conversation. Like if someone not familiar with soccer nomenclature asked what the 1868 means, you can explain that it's the founding year and conversation will go from there. Reno is currently in overdrive trying to change our image. When I first moved here 10 years ago everybody thought it was a shithole. But the downtown area has been amazing in the last 5 years or so and the surrounding areas are improving greatly. The worst part of town is now a local brewery row, and it's two blocks from Aces Stadium.

I must say this venture is going better than I ever expected. There seems to be a great amount of interest with more than a year to get stuff done, the FO wants to work very closely with fans, and most important THERE WILL BE PROFESSIONAL SOCCER TEN MINUTES AWAY FROM MY HOUSE!

Is it 2017 yet?

xbhaskarx and Knave repped this.
  8. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reno, Nevada.

In five years, it's gone from a poor man's Las Vegas to on the crossroads of soccer mecca or furry mecca. :ROFLMAO:

9. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, Vegas is more like the annoying younger brother who always needs attention.

10. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, we had a viewing party for the Cup final. Good turnout. I also had surveys available regarding the supporters group.

If anybody is interested I'd like to get outside opinions as well. I made the survey into a Google form and tweaked it a little. I have a comment box at the end so if you don't live in the Northern Nevada area and are affiliated with another club please indicate as such.

http://goo.gl/forms/ilJwyuNsP0

Oakland_Soccer repped this.
  11. Oakland_Soccer

Sep 27, 2015
    Oaktown, Cali
    Club:
    San Francisco Seals
    i like reno 1868, alot....keep the city name in the team name.

w/ sacto, sf nasl, reno, and hopefully oakland!!!! the us open cup is going to be pretty damn fun in the norcal/northern nevada region.

12. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, there will be plenty of nearby competition soon enough.

And at the viewing party we had for the Cup final a couple people from the FO showed up. They say they're having a hard time narrowing the field of names down to just a few for a vote. They also mentioned that Herb Simon is kind of old-school when it comes to sports so he isn't too sure about Reno 1868... but it's getting a lot of support.

13. H.U.S.T.L.E.

H.U.S.T.L.E. Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
    Hopefully Herb Simon listens. Because ya know... 81 year old guys from New York absolutely know what's best in the 2015 American soccer landscape.

In all seriousness, I hope Reno does really well as a soccer market. The more the merrier IMO.

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The more I think about the name Reno 1868 the more I love it.

In a funny way, that name, which is all about the city's oldest roots, speaks directly to the new Reno that I've seen grow in the last 20 or so years. 1868 is about Reno's beginning, which was neither as the divorce capital of the USA, nor about gambling. 1868 predates all of that. By going back to that old beginning, the name actually speaks to the new beginning that's happening now. It steps beyond all the Reno cliches that have cropped up in the 20th century. It says Reno was originally something entirely different, and it can be something entirely different again. The spirit of "1868" isn't what Reno has become known for among the public at large. It's about the interesting, creative new thing that Reno can be and is already becoming. This soccer team should be an emblem of that new Reno, which is why 1868 is so fitting.

15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #65 xbhaskarx, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    They should call the team Reno Rush SC and go with a crest similar to the Denver Nuggets alternate logo

The colors could be blue, silver, and gold.

Isn't that the real history of the area, the discovery of gold in 1850 followed by the discovery of silver in 1859 (the Comstock Lode)...

If not that, maybe something railroad related considering the place was basically founded by the Transcontinental Railroad...

16. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah we actually talked about miner themes. Didn't want to copy the nuggets

We also tossed around Locomotive Reno... but that actually brings up bad history in the area. Wouldn't play well

Macsen repped this.
  17. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Interesting tidbit that perhaps explains why 1868 has proven so popular.
    They also see Reno as "a place rich in history" -- see the top chart.

[​IMG]
    1868 fits right into that feeling.

--

Also check that age distribution. Those are people who were interested enough in Reno to participate in this survey. The peak is right in the soccer demo.

matbluvenger repped this.
  18. Oakland_Soccer

Sep 27, 2015
    Oaktown, Cali
    Club:
    San Francisco Seals
    Ran some of the names by some of my soccer friends (5)

no joke, 4 picked reno 1868, the other picked reno fc...

locomotive reno was not well received.

19. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice. I really hope they notice the positive reviews that name is getting from the soccer community.

20. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've piqued my interest. What is the bad history you speak of?

Macsen repped this.
  21. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chinese immigrants made up the majority of the work force that built the railroad through Donner Pass, connecting the Transcontinental Railroad.

While their conditions overall weren't the worst (you know, comparatively) there were some atrocities committed against them.

22. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I wasn't sure if it was railroad history or a former team named the locomotives that left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

23. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    That's interesting. It's definitely a big historical black eye up my way. Not only the treatment of Chinese railroad workers, but the violent expulsion of Chinese settlers that followed. I didn't realize this had the same kind of purchase down in Reno. No reason to court controversy or offense, especially when excellent alternative names are available and popular.

24. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something gambling-related?

25. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Didn't read the thread, did you?

Nobody wants something gambling related.

Reno 1868 -- and it'll be that if the owner is smart.