REM Tour late summer

Discussion in 'Books' started by obie, Mar 27, 2003.

1. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dates here. Like so many other 30-something yuppies I haven't been listening to REM for several years, but if you get a chance to see them at Liberty State Park, go. It's a great location with the NYC skyline and the Statue of Liberty behind the stage.

2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    that should be nice. saw them at the PNC Arts Center during the last tour. stipe couldn't get over the name "cheesequake state park." he found it comical.

3. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I haven't seen REM since about '88. The opening act was 10,000 Maniacs.

4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    didn't they sign like a $90 million dollar contract after the release of "automatic"? i wonder what the status of the contract is. they're not pushing plastic like they used to.

5. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    the last rem record i bought was 'new adventures in hi-fi'. did i miss anything good?

6. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

(this from someone who owns all records, eps, bootlegs, etc up till "Automatic for the People")

7. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Wow. I nearly posted the exact sentences.

I really want to like their recent stuff, but it (and them) have become pretty unlikeable. I don't hate it (or them), but it's just not very special anymore, is it?

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what tickets will be going for? If they aren't ludicrous, it could be fun.

9. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bought their debut ep and the record (Murmur?)after that, then lost interest. But, those two are absolutely great.

10. 3stripe

3stripe Member

Indy Eleven
    Oct 14, 2001
    Brickyard Battalion
    unforunately, no.

the last few rem cds are just depressingly bad.

i tried to get into them. i really did.

11. carolinab

carolinab Member+

Aug 21, 2000
    D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bermuda
    Can't be bothered to see them now, sadly. New songs suck. And no Bill Berry, what's the point? I'm all about the drums...

I used to love REM, but when I finally had a chance to see them in concert, it just wasn't my favorite show of all time. Probably in part because it was a big stadium tour, probably in part because I went with my friend and her boyfriend and I hate him (his nickname: the Wife Beater) and then my boyfriend hit a possum on the way back.

12. Crabapple

Crabapple New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    I thought they'd be opening for the puppet show by now.

13. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    scew all of you REM haters. Second best band on earth after Cafe Tacuba (at least for me).