Relegation Questions

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Sport Billy, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Estimates are that religation results in a minimum of a £50M loss.

Two Questions:

Would another relegation lead to Ashley selling?
    If so, would you make that trade?

2. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a concern. Ashely will spend enough to assure safety by mid season, sell the assets off to reap in the money and avoid having to spend on players for a European campaign. Rinse. Repeat.

Damn that was depressing to type out.

3. AmericanMag

AmericanMag Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I read somewhere that there was a 90 mil. (pound) balloon payment for teams that get relegated... I don't remember where though.

4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I read an article awhile back.
    It stated that there are payments over time to a relegated team.
    But it is estimated that even if you go down and cup up the following year, your looking at a minimum of £50M
    I'll look for the article

5. AmericanMag

AmericanMag Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that it was in the Chron...

6. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
  7. AmericanMag

AmericanMag Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good article.

But to answer the original post:

I don't see Ashley selling if we are relegated. He has too much invested (which is what is really frustrating, if he is using the club for a platform to advertise Sports Direct, surely a successful and entertaining team would help with that) to sell it for a cost he would agree to.

But if relegation did cause Ashley to sell up... I would definitely take that trade. Besides, the club would be playing for something (promotion) as opposed to the gutless, unmotivated displays we have been seeing since December.

And I do have to say that Carver isn't good enough for the championship much less the Premiere League so God forbid he remains manager after this season.

Sport Billy repped this.
  8. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think relegation would lead to Ashley selling; it would in all likelihood just be like the last relegation in which we come out of it further in debt to him and his "generous" interest-free loans, probably leaving us in hock to him for £180m instead of £129m and making it less likely we'll be rid of him anytime soon. It would be selling an asset when it's value was at its lowest too - which definitely isn't how he operates, he's usually the vulture hovering around when values are at their lowest (case in point Rangers).

Hopefully - if we survive this season it's woken the fat prick up to the concept that we can't just bounce along with minimal investment or even a proper manager and pick up the juicy PL cash. His cash cow could be on it's way to the abattoir. It's still a big "if" at the minute as far as I'm concerned, we need one more win and I don't know where it's coming from, we're putting a lot of eggs in the "hopefully when Cisse, de Jong, Sissoko are back we'll look better" basket.

9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newcastle United lost 3-0 at Leicester City. In second half stoppage time, Newcastle United got their second red card. Newcastle United's games against West Brom and QPR will be important.

10. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks mate... good insight

11. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    The announcers, in very straight forward terms, stated that the second red was the act of a player who simply didn't want to play anymore games.

Question: how many players have relegation escape clauses?
    It is an easy way out of this nightmare.

They showed fans at the game holding a banner:

"WE DON'T DEMAND A TEAM THAT WINS.
    WE DEMAND A TEAM THAT TRIES"

12. AmericanMag

AmericanMag Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if a relegation escape clause would be public knowledge. I am sure we will find out if/when it happens. I am going to assume that relegation clauses may not be in the contracts as Cabella was in the paper (Newcastle Chronicle) stating that he will be with the club next season.

Nightmare is the best way to describe this past three months and it doesn't appear to be getting any better now that they have released the statement confirming that Carver will be in charge for the last three games.