Relationship between national supporters and club supporters

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Pinowski AP, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinowski AP

Pinowski AP Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's have a discussion on the dynamics between national and club supporters groups. Given the growth of AO and the development of more robust, organized support in MLS, I think the topic has become much more relevant.

As AO approaches 60 chapters, the elephant in the room is Portland's absence. Anyone invested in American soccer knows full well how passionate PDX fans are (Seattle fans, you guys are just as good! Not picking favorites! ;) )

I ran a quick check of the Timbers Army forums (not the Bigsoccer one) to see if the subject had come up. I can't say that these are the opinions of everyone in TA, but there seems to be a dismissive attitude towards AO and Sam's Army. One of the prevailing ideas was that the need for a national-team supporters group was unnecessary. Another concern was that AO had become too much of a "franchise." No one elaborated on that comment, so I can't address it further.

It's an interesting dilemma. Have at it.

2. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Depends. The TA is a big enough group that if a group of Portlanders wanted to go to the WC together/try to bring the USMNT to Portland it would probably go through the TA and not the AO because the TA is both very well established and organized. The TA is also the only Timbers supporters' group, so this is different than several other MLS clubs as well...

Also the biggest organized USA-England event in Portland was the Timbers logo unveiling. At the same time the organization isn't really in place for someone in Portland to support the USMNT, but I'm not really sure it's necessary to have anything organized because there are a number of places to go watch the game.

I can't speak for other places unfortunately, but if you are in a city without a MLS team, I would think having something organized to watch the USMNT with other fans is awesome.

3. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see why they can't all become AO members. The people at AO never come off at "corporational" or anything. There's so many good people behind the scenes at AO.

If we can get the whole Timbers Army on board for the USMNT, it would be huge.

4. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well seeing that Tucson had one of the largest viewing parties in the country for the Gold Cup Final, I personally find it odd that no one has stepped forward in Portland to start an AO chapter. The bigger question though is how many members of AO are registered as residents of Portland. Do they have 25? Do they have 0? It also may be due to the nationality of fans in Portland. Maybe most of the Timbers Army doesn't support US Soccer. They may root for there ancestors country. But I don't understand why AO asks or mentions Timbers Army into starting an AO chapter. Im sure once they talk, they would have a chapter set up by the end of the week.
    Also, I don't know how it works for other MLS cities, but do you guys have your USSoccer/AO viewing parties at the same bar that you usually watch the away games for your MLS team?http://lockerz.com/s/114209448

5. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    It's not that TA members don't support the national team (and not all of them do), it just seems sort of superfluous to be a part of two separate organizations, especially with such a large group.

6. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then I personally don't want to see them join. Were not talking about an organization like the Sons of Ben that BROUGHT a team to Philly. Were talking about the Timbers Army, who everyday has to thank there hated rivals, the Sounders & ECS, for giving them a team. And they aren't a large group. There the exact same size as every other supporters group. If they were a large group, they would fill the entire stadium, not sections behind the goal just like every other supporters group. I'm really shocked that they don't want to be apart of "two separate organizations." They already are. They support the Timbers, a team they have ZERO control of. Every other MLS city has an AO chapter, but the Timbers Army thinks there shit smells better than everyone elses. I hope now that every single game, Portland lose 4-0. FYI, Tucson took in the Portland Beavers (now the Tucson Padres) so they could convert PGE Park into an all soccer facility.
    (I do not represent AO in my comments. Its my personal opinion.)

1 person likes this.
  7. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Sorry to hear about your opinion. And having lived in Tucson for three years I'm more than aware the Toros are on hiatus.

8. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is what it is... we can all work together without being in AO/Sam's Army for the greater good of the US support.
    I'm El Batallon a USA/Dynamo supporter , with a following of about 25 folks that are diehard Texans. We sometimes hang with AO Houston members from Texian Army but when it comes to being part of AO, No thanks.
    IMO Dallas chumps are racist as hell.

We just don't get along,nuff Said.

9. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, ur calling Dallas fans racist, when they don't even have fans. :p

Hey, but at least the Houston franchise isn't considered racist.
    [​IMG]

10. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our group of US fans also consist of Mexicans,El Salvadorians,Costa Ricans,Guatamalans, Argentinas and Columbians that understand that the land of the free has giving them much. So not only do they support the US but they also have faught for this country in the recent wars.We have Navy,Army and Marines in our group.

So when you hear some AO chump yell "F* Mexico, cut my lawn, ****************, Mexico is that way, make me a taco" we choose not to be part of that crap.

As far as your 1836 comment, that had little to do with how ppl felt in our area and more about some CUN* named Sylvia Garcia wanting to grandstand to a few of the Mexicans in her district. Get real...we're Texas , born from the blood of Mexicans 1824 is the first flag of Texas with tri colors.

2 people repped this.
  11. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I understand what your saying. When ever I bring up AZ, PHX, or Tucson hosting a US Soccer match or MLS spring training, people always say, "Oh SB1070. All Latino's will be arrested." Nothing has changed. If you come down to AZ, you will see that every mall is packed with cars from the states of Sonora and Baja. I know there has been alot of complaints about the Mexico fans at the Gold Cup Final, but when the US fans are yelling, "Mexico was here 6 hours ago cutting the grass." then of course your going to have shit thrown at you. But I guess thats what happens when a stadium of 93k has had everyone drinking in the hot sun for 6 hours.

1 person likes this.
  12. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Respect.

13. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people will be club over country just because that is the way they are, I think it tends to happen to people who follow more successful clubs or newer clubs like Portland, Seattle, DC United.

Club soccer just hasn't interested me as much as international so not an issue for me.

14. Since 82

Since 82 New Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Portland is in process of forming an American Outlaws Portland chapter.

I, personally, was surprised after moving to Portland a few years back that there wasn't an American Outlaws chapter prior. We are nearing having the numbers for a formal chapter and anticipate this occuring in the next couple of weeks.

Portland (the city) is a different type of beast. A lot of people into different things, all kinds of stuff, but it isn't a top down, organized type of place.

The Timbers Army represents that IMO. This is a one of a kind supporters group that grew organically and continues to expand and evolve today. People are passionate about their Timbers here as they should be (and I am one of them).

I think that AO/Sams Army and MLS Supporters Groups are going to work and evolve differently from city to city. No big deal to me.

15. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happens in many MLS cities is unified backing for the local club side and a fractured love for the multiple National Teams represented in the membership of the MLS supporters in the city. It is what it is in our soccer culture.
    In Houston, the AO folks back in '08, for USA vs Mexico, didn't coordinate at all with the already existing hinchas culture. Yet us bringing over a keg of Shiner sure helped break the ice n get them on board with the existing songs that we ALL needed to sing that night.

Come on brochacho, El Tri held a wcq at the Alamo Dome, a stadium named after the mother of all 1836 battles, and no one fussed a bit about that. Nope, 35K die hard El Tri fans that night hadn't even given it a second thought.
    Please tone down the racist crap for that original, democratically voted on crest. One humpty politico n like 9 other people took to the race card back then like Blu stated to get political mileage outta raising a stink.
    You're originally from Philly correct so one would like to think y'all knew your history a lot better. If you were being sarcastic then give us a smiley face at the end sabes??

16. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I met guy that was talking about starting AO chapter in Portland when I was there in late May for DC match so there's someone :p

But didn't look like he was getting much play which makes sense to me, they already have strong supporter scene so why would they need separate group for national team if they support it.

17. Since 82

Since 82 New Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    We are in process of setting up a formal chapter. Most are TA and 107ist members. I'm sure it will come in time.

18. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is 107 not apart of the Timbers Army? Like as in Section 133 is not apart of the Sons of Ben.

19. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're a Mexico fan would you want the Timbers Army supporting the United States? No, you would want them supporting the Portland Timbers and only the Portland Timbers.

20. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    guess it depends on group, doesn't bother me as a foreigner or any other foreigners in DU... if we happen to play Croatia I'm gonna take my happy ass to another section and that's that. (as for specific example I didn't notice that the mexican guy in TA cares for either nats much, then again neither do I so maybe that's why ambivalence ;))

21. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I would hope you would want the TA supporting soccer in the local community, which is what currently happens.

Plus I'd much rather go to a USMNT game as a group of TA and not as a group of AO.

22. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why can't you all join AO?

I cannot see the logic.....Timbers army is great, but the USMNT could use some more supporters, start an AO, or start a "Timbers USA army"

23. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because much like Sam's Army, I don't want to join any group that Trekkies would laugh at.

1 person likes this.
  24. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really getting you're reference of "trekkies"

But AO being laughed at? AO is a great organization of about 5,600 people, they hold great events, and have the cheapest supporter sections tickets around. I thought Sams Army was awesome back in 2007 when I didn't really follow the USMNT, then I actually started following and realized AO is the best out of any out there.

How does Sams Army even compare anymore to AO?

25. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the problem

One is new nerds, the other is old nerds.