Reinaldo vs Romario

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by UEFA, Aug 14, 2011.

1. UEFA

UEFA Member

Sep 6, 2006
    I have a question. There was once a user on here who professed that the striker Reinaldo was as great a striker as prime Romario. He was brazilian. He said that Reinaldo had a way that he dribbled without the ball, and indeed if you watch him on footage, he does seem to have baffling composure and almost a prescient unerstanding of his body in relation to where the ball is, where it will go and where and what his defenders are going to do. He unfortunately had a career plagued wit injury and alcoholism. It is said had he been able to participate in the 1982 WC, the fate of Brazil might have been slightly different.

Anyone with knowledge on Reinaldo, please offer insight on your opinion of him, where he stands in the pantheon of great brazilian strikers, who you consider better he or Romario exempting career/legacy of course, and any other miscellaneous you care to offer. Please and thanks!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejAMZgZf4ek&feature=related"]DRIBLES & GOLAÇOS DE REINALDO ATLETICO MINEIRO GALO GOALS GOLOS - YouTube[/ame]

2. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    I saw him- once - in the flesh at Wembley in 1981. Very injury prone but with him or Careca, we might well have won the 1982 Copa. He first played for Brazil as an 18 year old in the 1975 Copa America.

Go to the Xtratime forum and do a thread/or search for one in the Brazilian section. A man called Joao Camilo will opine about Reinaldo.

3. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
    Heard alot about this guy first time I've seen footage on him...can you imagine him the 82 team - MAMA!

4. scabbt22

scabbt22 Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Careca was the guy who would have started in 82 if he didnt get hurt. He was at his prime then too.

5. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
    Can you imagine the both of them playing...MAMA MIA!

6. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    At his prime at 21?! I think not.........he was not too bad in 1986 at 25 was he? A very good player.

7. Lockeroom

Lockeroom Member

Apr 11, 2008
    I saw him first on TV when he played 2 matches in the 1978 WC in Argentina, but he unfortunately didn´t play good and in the rest of the WC played Nr.9 Roberto Dinamite ......

8. DanFla

DanFla Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Reinaldo was on of the greatest brazilian strikers, i dont think that he was better than Romário, because for me Romário was the best brazilian striker ever. Unfortunatly injuries were terrible in Reinaldo career, but for sure he is on the Top 10 Brazilian strikers and maybe on the Top 5.

top 15 Brazilian strikers

Romário
    Leonidas
    Ronaldo
    Careca
    Roberto Dinamite
    Friedenreich
    Reinaldo
    Ademir Menezes
    Tostão
    Vavá
    Coutinho
    Mazzola
    Dadá Maravilha
    Nunes
    Serginho

9. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great question; thanks for posting the video. From what I know, Reinaldo was indeed a great player plagued by injury. Kind of a pre-Ronaldo Ronaldo only without the WC titles. He's forgetten, IMO, because of the 1978 WC; even though Brazil went undefeated...we all know about the infamous Argentina-Peru game. If Brazil wins that WC, Reinaldo would be remembered much differently.

Coutinho played that WC very close to the vest, Dunga style...it would have been something to see Reinaldo with the 1982 team under Tele Santana. I mean Reinaldo was the star of those great Atletico Mineiro teams of the 1970's; his understanding with fellow Atletico teamates and 1982 Brazil starters, Éder and Toninho Cerezo could have been historic in the context of Brazil 1982, which really doesn't need more mythology around it. IMO, 1982 Reinaldo is one of the game's great "what if" questions.

"Brazil had much hope on Reinaldo, a center-forward who combined talent to a high IQ; Reinaldo was the striker with the highest average goals per match in the History of Brazilian championships: 28 goals in 21 matches in 1977; Reinaldo, however, disappointed in the Cup." http://www.v-brazil.com/culture/sports/world-cup/1978-Argentina.html

10. 9afael

9afael New Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I live in Brazil, in the city of Atletico, Belo Horizonte, and I ever heard that Reinaldo was the greatest striker that played for Atletico and one of the best of the national team, but everyone says the same, if he didn't had the injury prone, he would be greater than Ronaldo and Romario. But Romario it's better because of he's positioning in the box and the perfect finishing.

11. Rivelino87

Rivelino87 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    He is our highest scorer and biggest idol, a true icon for our supporters in all senses of the word. I never saw him personally, but my uncle, who is also an Atlético fan, did regularly and said that with Maradona (his absolute favorite) he was the best he ever saw play.

Reinaldo was actually Romário's biggest idol, according to him. You can see the similarities in his game and finishing which were probably influenced by Reinaldo given what Romário said. Zico said on a Brazilian program that he was the best player he ever played with, and that he had everything to get close to Pelé if it were not for his injuries. Marcelo Oliveira, current Cortiba FC's coach, who was one of his team mates also repeated what Zico said. It really is a shame about his injury and sports medicine at the time, since they didn't have partial meniscectomies then, I believe they removed his entire meniscus, leaving him to play without one for years with cortisone injections, until he no longer could.

Despite having Romário as one of my biggest idols when I was a boy, I think Reinaldo was a much better footballer with a touch of genius today based on footage I have seen (recorded games from my uncle and what is on youtube). Reinaldo also being much more humble, though no bearing on my opinion, increases my admiration for him.

Here is a link to his DVD that was uploaded by a blog one of our supporters keeps: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk9p1vZtL0g"]Reinaldo (parte1) - Cam1sa Do2e - YouTube[/ame] - I hope you enjoy it. The Portuguese parts is him speaking about how he joined the club as a teenager, and talking about some of his games. I hope you enjoy it, and I am glad you are find out about him, because not many people outside Brazil, and even in Brazil (maybe because my club failed to win the big tournaments they were in) do not know his quality.

12. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Injure prone? Cocaina has got another name now?

AHAHAH

13. Rivelino87

Rivelino87 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    I know you must be dying for attention again with your "you against the world" attitude, but please, don't troll this thread with your one-liner bullshit, like you do almost every other that's not about your team. Everyone knows about his knee injury early on. His drug problems and depression happened later as a result of not being able to play.

PS: I like some of your posts, but that one was really stupid.

14. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Dude, todo mundo sabe que o Reinaldo foi um dos maiores narizes de bronze da historia do futebol brasileiro! Why deny it?

15. Rivelino87

Rivelino87 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    Translation of Gaucho's post: "dude, everyone knows that Reinaldo was one of the biggest cokeheads in the history of Brazilian football! Why deny it?"

It seems he never read the post. It might be too much to ask for well thought out replies that take longer than 3 seconds from him.

Did you actually read my post? I didn't deny his drugs use, I actually explained it in my post. Your post, what can be understood of it, tries to make it seem like he was never injury-prone (which everyone knows about) and that it was cocaine that lead to his downfall, not his injury. Leave it up to you to try to create arguments where there aren't any and hijack any thread, though. So isso, meu.

16. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Crete arguments? Reinaldo was arrested with over 600 kg of cocaina inside his car.

600 kg

That's enough to make a line from Oiapoque to Chui and have some leftover for the next day. Drug problem? Reinaldo was way passed having a problem. Dude had coke for brains.

17. Rivelino87

Rivelino87 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    He was arrested in 1996, well after his playing days (which is the whole point). He admitted to using it, but the coke belonged to his friend who was a dealer, and borrowed his car. Either way, it has nothing to do with him as a player since he was never found to have used it while playing, and it completely off-topic. You questioning that he was injury-prone and injected the coke remark in relation to his career shows how much you really know about it him, and your intentions to contribute to the thread about his footballing ability/career. Now that that is cleared up and you already mentioned the coke comment, hopefully you'll stop posting in this thread. Valeu.

18. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Look, that's Maradona 101 excuses. Like the several times he didn't played because he was a cokehead and Napoli people kept on giving injure or stomach virus excuses. So, all the times they had other players pissing instead of maraCOCA (people said that was often the case) also was downplayed. Dude got caught once, he's on it for years before they were able to get him. Reinaldo was a major cokehead and that I've heard from somebody from BH that worked with Police. So I do believe it.

19. Rivelino87

Rivelino87 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    The thread was about Reinaldo, and not Maradona. Maybe you should ask your friend how he knew, since Reinaldo was never caught before the 1996 incident.

I get what you believe though, no point going back-and-forth with you and inviting more informative posts, even if you insist on having the last one word like every kid little kid I know.

20. Rivelino87

Rivelino87 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    The thread was about Reinaldo, and not Maradona. Maybe you should ask your cop friend how he knew, since Reinaldo was never caught before the 1996 incident.

I get what you believe though, no point going back-and-forth with you and inviting more informative posts, even if you insist on having the last one word like every kid little kid I know.

21. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Word is Reinaldo was a cheirador and that's why he was never a great player. Who was the idiot that compared a loser like him with Romario?

Romario is a world champion, 1000 goals and is several levels above Reinaldo. They should compare Reinaldo with Jardel or some other minnows.

btw

Rei Dada' was better.

22. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Cheirador? What is that?

OK, I will bite the bullet and reply.........to compare Reinaldo with Jardel is provocative (which you love/thrive on) and basically wrong.

23. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiGnzWc-3Ic"]Bezerra da Silva 08 - Nariz de bronze - YouTube[/ame]

24. Rivelino87

Rivelino87 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    Yeah, I guess the fact that he had a severe knee injury, damaging his meniscus in his teens and later having it removed, was repeatedly treated for it (operated in N.Y among others), along with his well-known injury complications that had to be medicated with cortisone shots had no impact on his career. I'm sure it was surely the cocaine he was never caught with while he played. I'll take your mythical ex-police friend from BH's gossip instead instead.

He should definitely be compared to Jardel. Zico, along with other players, saying he was the best player he/they played against, and one that had everything to get close to Pelé were it not for his injury should definitely be disregarded as well, afterall, you say he is a minnow.

Romário would probably be flattered to be compared to Reinaldo, as that was his idol when he was a kid, and if you ever watched any footage of Reinaldo you would see the similarities.

PS: Dadá was/is immense for us, the king, but was a completely different player. There is no basis for comparison and the comment shows that you are not interested in discussion. The only reason you mentioned him though was because he played for your club.

25. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not at all, Rei Dadá really was one of the greatest strikers in Brasilian football that is often overlooked and gets no respect. Not to mention he was a way more likeable and colorful character.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03l-f1M6O1U"]Dadá Maravilha ! "Bati uma punhetinha ... legal..." - YouTube[/ame]