Reigning on sunday - the 2014/2015 off/pre season thread

Discussion in 'Seattle Reign FC' started by Blaze20, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I was saying Solaun would make the opening day roster, and Romine called back in during the WWC. I was talking with Blaze20, and mentioned I could see Brigman as the lone woman out (just due to the few minutes she played last year, and the additions brought in on D (Hein). So no I don't think both will make the opening day roster, but I definitely see Solaun making it.

2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I don't think you understand what I'm saying. They have to drop 3 players from the list that Blaze20 posted. Romine is probably one, a defender is likely the other (and I agree that Brigman seems the most likely). But who is the 3rd? I think it's Solaun, unless they were to drop another defender (which if they were, would probably be Hein). But it's gonna be hard for Solaun to get any playing time with Little, Fishlock, Winters, and Nogueira all being there for the whole season.

3. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Why does there need to be a spot for Veje on opening day?She doesn't report until July 1st. I may misunderstand roster rules. But if she is under contract until July 1st with Brøndby, why would she count against the official roster before then? Now once she is avail, yes the team may have to release another player. Also, I see Solaun up top on the wings.

4. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Hmm... good point. I had been thinking she would have to be on the roster, as I seemed to recall that Hagen and Gorry were on FCKC's roster before they joined. But looking back at an archive of the roster, it appears they had 23 players listed (Santiago was the 3rd overage that wasn't actually with the team), so I guess she won't count against the roster limit initially.

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I recall correctly, the League doesn't allow partial season contracts. What I've seen is consistent with all contracts having to be for the entire season.

6. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    How though, if she is actually contracted with another team until July 1?

7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there's a problem with bringing in that player. Rather, the problem is if the team already has contracted with a full roster of players, in which case it wouldn't have roster room to add her. I think the only way for the team to avoid that is to start with a roster that is one player down so that it has an opening for her when she arrives. What I think the team can't do is start the season with a player on the roster who has only a partial season contract, in anticipation of releasing her when the new player is able to play.

8. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Still seems like the league wouldn't want to penalize a team, because a player is under contract elsewhere. To have to carry an "empty" roster spot for a player that is obligated to play for another team would sandbag your roster. And just in Sports legality I don't see how a players rights can be held at the same time by two different teams.

9. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    It's not exactly the same thing, but Boston was forced to only have 19 active players on their roster in 2013, due to an injured player being out the whole season (this was fixed for 2014 though). Point is, the league clearly has some questionable roster regulations, which need to be clarified and/or changed.

10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    So as we all suspected, the cuts have begun and unfortunately Brigman have been waived. As a defender it was always going to be difficult to crack the very solid Reign back line. I wish her the best though and whatever she plans on doing next.

11. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Did not know that.

http://www.sounderatheart.com/seattle-reign/2015/1/26/7916939/reign-waive-defender-megan-brigman

Class comments by Harvey: http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4920051

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And of course we have one of my favorite pet peeves. Garciamendez was Seattle's Mexican allocation in 2013 yet chose Frankfurt and dental school instead of the Reign. Still, two years after failing to get the Stanford grads name on a contract, Seattle still controls her NWSL rights? It's absurd. Is it until death do we part?

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    By my count Seattle has 20 signed players and two unsigned draft picks.

14. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Yes, and we also just signed Stephanie Cox after she lost her allocation. Great. I hoping that when she finally decides to hang up her boot maybe she can be an assistant coach or something for the Reign

15. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    The Reign have cut Holly Hein which bring our signed players down to 19 and leaves our defensive core a bit thin. All of a sudden it seems signing Rachel Corsie may not be all that far fetched or redundant anymore.

16. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I figured she factored more into their plans after picking her up before the end of last season.

17. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    My guess is she was just insurance for the play offs in case someone got hurt or something.

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I see no reason for Harvey to be cutting anyone unless she is making room to do a deal. I smell a trade or a signing.

19. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I agree especially at this stage when we haven't even started preseason yet

20. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Well, looks like my prognostication of who the 2nd player to be waived would be was correct... either that or Harvey got the idea from me. ;)

Will be interesting to see if Harvey uses the two spots for the two draftees or if she's got something else up her sleeves.

21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Make her waive Frisbee...Houston still hunting for a CB.

22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Cutting them makes zero sense unless she needs a spot now.

23. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    lol. I'd imagine she could get something in return for Frisbie. I would expect that she'd waive Foxhoven before Frisbie.

24. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Well it could be that she might need the spots to sign the draft picks now in order to prevent them from going abroad or something like that. Not saying that is the case, just that there could be other explanations.

25. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I highly doubt Frisbie is going anywhere. Though I have seen her practice, she still can cover two important spots.