Reigning on sunday - the 2014/2015 off/pre season thread

Discussion in 'Seattle Reign FC' started by Blaze20, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    According to Harvey the fact that she lost her allocation and will only be available part time didn't justify the signing. It make sense to me. Most teams will not spend money to sign a somewhat average player coming off a year of injury who will Only be available part time. And to the fact that our defensive corps is really strong, this was a smart move.

If we are spending money on a CB, I rather they go after Corsie. At least Fishlock will be happy.

2. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Which is confusing, if she is only avail part time, that leads me to believe, she's going to the WWC. If that is the case, why would she not be allocated?!?

3. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Because Herdman is wierd. Last year he allocated Iachelli to WNY and I'm not sure if she even plays soccer

holden repped this.
  4. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Havana Solaun
    &
    Kendall Romine

Will be interested to see how they perform! Also it's almost like the team received another draft pick in Frisbie, since she didn't play last year. So in essence all three are rookies.

5. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    It may not seem like it in the land of the reign but there was the draft today and we picked up two players.

Havana Solaun - MF
    Kendall Romine - CB

I'm not familiar with any of these players and quite frankly I'm not sure how they crack this team of 20 already. I saw some very brief, brief youtube clip of Solaun and I wasn't moved. Anyone who have seen more of her can you tell me what to expect.

As for Romine, she could possibly make the team if Laura thinks she needs another center back behind Fletcher, Barnes, and Hein. So far, this is what I think our depth is based on the 4-3-3:

GK: Solo, Kopmeyer
    LB: Cox, Dallstream (I'm moving her here as she did her best work filling in for Cox. She can play RF as well)
    CB: Barnes, Fletcher, Hein, Romine
    RB: Reed, Cruz, Brigman
    DM: Winters, Fishlock, Noguiera
    AM: Little, Solaun
    LF: Rapinoe, Frisbie
    CF: Leroux, Goebel
    RF: Mathias, Foxhoven

6. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Interesting that they were both drafted by SBFC.

7. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Blaze20 repped this.
  8. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Thanks so much for that. From that clip what I see right off the bat is that her movement of the ball is good and passing looks ok. What worries me is her first touch which looks bad. Almost all of them end up 5 feet away from her. In that clip she manage to recover from that but in the pros that is recipe for turn overs. Hopefully I'm just seeing things though.

Also unless she makes a HUGE improvement between now and the start of the season, I don't see how she starts over Mathais on the right side

9. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I'm surprised they both slipped as far down as they did. I really expected them to be picked in the end of the 2nd round or start of the 3rd. But then again, Dydasco (who some people were saying might even be picked in the first round, but I thought for sure she'd be gone by the 16th pick at the latest) slipped to the 3rd round, so what do we know...

10. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    To me it seems like her touch was spot on. And when she did lead with a heavy touch it was done purposely to gain space from a defender. But then again it's a highlight video, and they are made to show players in a best moments, so I guess you can't take too much away from it. I was impressed with her foot work and ability to find teamates in tight spots. She seems to has a flair for crafty moves which should only get better learning from Little. Also one thing you can't teach, that she has is height. And I think that will also be a benefit.

11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Might be true as you can't learn much from just a clip.

I'm still not seeing how either of these make the team, who will be dropped? If we are dropping an existing player, you have to think it will be a defender and in that sense the only person I saw might be on the chopping block is Brigman given that Harvey went out and got Michelle Cruz as a backup RB for Reed.

12. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I see Solaun making the team. With Brigman only getting 17mins last year, she may be fighting for her position. Foxhoven could also be fighting for her spot, as she only had 340mins all of last year. And onto the "tease" aren't we still waiting on a surprise player from Europe? Though it was alluded to be from the FA WSL.

13. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Was there ever such a rumor with the Reign though? The closest I can remember is the Tasha Harding signing which at the time we thought it was the Reign interested in a FAWSL player.

As for Foxhoven, I say we hang on to her for the mere fact that she's an offensive player and there is a shortage of those in a World Cup year. I may be biased but I'm still hoping that she could reproduce the season she had in Portland with the Reign.

14. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Sorry about that, I was thinking of one of your old posts: http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads...re-season-thread.2010148/page-3#post-31356453

As for Foxhoven, now that I know we aren't getting an FA WSL player in, she is probably safe. Though Frisbie or Solaun might be taking some of her minutes.

During the season when everyone is healthy there is going to be some talent on the sidelines...........

15. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    A bit of unsettling news as Fishlock sustained an injury over the weekend while playing for Frankfurt. As of yet I'm unsure of the severity of the injury but no one should worry as Vero has it under control.

Also, it seems she is taking the whole thing in stride

blissett repped this.
  16. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  17. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
  18. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Fishlock out 4-5 weeks. That is right about the start of preseason

19. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Looking on the bright side, at least she will be more rested. She seems to play all year round, so a 2 month break, might do her well.

Blaze20 repped this.
  20. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Roster Update:
    • The Reign have gotten more reinforcements in the mid field in the form of Katrine Veje. The Danish national team player will join the team on July 1 and will use up our 3/4 of our international spots. Given Harvey track record for recruiting and the fact that she said she have had her eye on her since she was 15, I expect great things from her.
    • I have added the two draft picks to the roster as well.
    • This brings the current roster to 23, something have to change right?
    upload_2015-1-21_11-20-10.png

21. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I wouldn't be so sure the two draft picks will make the roster. That'll leave only one player to cut to get back down to 20.

22. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    You are correct but I couldn't me bothered to make an annotation on the table for them so I just added them.

23. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
  24. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I think Solaun will make the team. And Romine may be used once the WC starts up.

25. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I think both will definitely be reserves that get called up as amateurs during the WWC (unless they go abroad), but I have a hard time seeing Solaun displacing any of the other midfielders. The only non-defender that I could maybe see her winning a spot over would be Foxhoven. But I think they'll want to keep Foxhoven (at least to start the season), since Frisbie and Veje have no NWSL experience at the moment. I guess they could drop a defender to add her to the roster, but I already expected the one cut I mentioned earlier would be a defender, so they'd have to drop 2.