Reign Roster

Discussion in 'Seattle Reign FC' started by GOALSeattle, Feb 4, 2013.

1. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I heard something interesting earlier today.
    It seems the Reign believe there's a chance that Keelin Winters will not be one of the 24 subsidized players next year. There are (or were) 23 this year, but if Press, Engen, Averbuch, Klingenberg, Levin, possibly Julie Johnston or Dunn next year (etc.) are subsidized, then Winters may get squeezed out of the 24. She would then be a non-subsidized player that would have to earn a regular salary with the Reign (which is still fine with her, as long she's playing in the northwest, her preference).

If this happens, then Solo, Rapinoe, and A-Rod (if ready to come back in 2014) are the three that Seattle has. However, Seattle owes Chicago a player. Chicago could then get A-Rod, and then Seattle could be the team that ends up getting a new subsidized player, such as Christen Press. Or Press goes to Chicago, and A-Rod stays in Seattle. Or Engen goes to Seattle, etc. "Future Considerations" means the league will first have to determine what 24 players will be subsidized in 2014, and if Winters isn't one of them, then Seattle could still come out looking good in this trade. Chicago could as well. It may end up working out for both teams.

Prediction:
    Winters goes off the 24.
    She then signs a deal with Seattle next year (which Seattle will have to pay her).
    Seattle gets: Rapinoe, Solo, Julie Johnston (becomes subsidized immediately, by Sermanni's hand)
    Chicago gets: Boxx, LePeilbet, Press

A-Rod isn't a subsidized player in the 24 (nor is Winters).
    New members of the 24 include: Engen, Press, Averbuch, Johnston.
    Winters stays on with Seattle, but as a non-subsidized player.

2. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I am Hope.
    I am Goalkeeper.
    I am Reign.
    I am Queen.
    [​IMG]

3. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    all this sounds good but is press coming to the league mid-season? and it looks/sounds like lines had his eyes on her instead of $24000 o_O. wny is the one short a forward to pair with wambach.

i would think ussoccer would make her subsidized in a heartbeat vs johnston or anyone else, if she makes the move.

anyway, if i was press, i'd stay in sweden until the world cup year, or til they get a southern cal franchise, which she can headline.

4. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    If I'm Press I come to the NWSL the soonest I can legally and ethically.
    Sweden has already improved her game greatly. She's now a legitimate Top 10 forward in the world, in terms of raw skill and overall talent. It's time for her to focus on doing what she can to be the next face of U.S. women's soccer. Get to NWSL no later than 2014, get acclimated more to the U.S. soccer fans in different cities, and play in the league that U.S. soccer would want her to play in. It will be best for Press in terms of earning endorsements (off the field) as well. If I'm a top notch player, I want to earn endorsements, and get more money and fame that way as well.

And if I'm Press, the three best franchises I can go to are Seattle, Chicago, or Washington.
    Portland already has Morgan & Sinclair. WNY has Wambach and other good offensive players.
    Boston has Leroux. FCKC has Henderson and Cheney. And Sky Blue is known more for focusing on a defensive (low-scoring) game.

Seattle, Chicago, or Washington are the best fits for Press.
    WNY is a great fit for her from a "Portland vs. WNY" equality standpoint, if that's what you mean. But that's not what's best for Press. She won't beat out Abby for local endorsement opportunities.

I've already mapped out what I would like to see by 2015, in NWSL, as far as forward depth.

Los Angeles (expansion): Alex Morgan, Marta Da Silva, Courtney Verloo, Rosie White
    Bay Area (expansion): Stephanie Ochs, Lindsay Taylor, Chioma Ubogagu (Stanford rookie)
    Portland: Christine Sinclair, Kealia Ohai, Hannah Wilkinson (NZ), Foxhoven, Frisbie
    Seattle: Lindsey Horan, Tiffany Cameron, Veronica Perez
    FCKC: Melissa Henderson, Lauren Cheney, Morgan Marlborough, Renae Cuellar
    Chicago: Christen Press, Ella Masar, Katie Stengel, Maribel Dominguez
    Boston: Sydney Leroux, Kyah Simon, Adriana Leon
    WNY Flash: Abby Wambach, Adriana, Maya Hayes, Samantha Kerr
    Sky Blue FC: Lisa De Vanna, Jonelle Filigno, Monica Ocampo (plus O'hara can play up top)
    Washington: Tiffany McCarty, Caroline Miller, Lianne Sanderson, Laura Weinberg

No other league in the world would come close to having this type of quality & depth up top.

5. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Here is Seattle's starting nine in game #1.
    They choose to go in a 3-4-1 formation, with Cameron now as the new goalkeeper.

GK - Tiffany Cameron (need her athleticism in goal)
    D - Elli Reed, Emily Zurrer, Shayla Fountain (discovery urgent pick-up, is Kaley's cousin)
    MF - Liz Bogus, Jessica Fishlock, Kaylyn Kyle, Keelin Winters
    F - Lindsay Taylor

8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stupid. Come on, you can do way better than this!

9. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Bay Area (expansion): Stephanie Ochs, Lindsay Taylor, Chioma Ubogagu (Stanford rookie)

i thought the bay area didn't support women's soccer after Gold Pride couldn't give tickets away for the championship game.

Aren't there two South Cal franchises coming? Press played for the Blues. If it's North Cal, she is still more marketable than the three you listed.

Really, i think she benefits even more playing a full season with Marta, and learning Brasilian footwork and dribbling than messing with the league the first year. As I've said, she's more of a free-style player (flexible between MF and F, not a direct in-your-face striker like Sydney and Morgan) like Marta, so take a year and learn with the best. She'll get her training now with the NT thanks to Sermani . Ladies on the NT get sponsors even when there is no domestic league, so Nike, Pepsi or whoever will give her a contract, even if she is in Sweden.

An open year with Marta is more valuable than the first year of the NWSL, partnering with a "B" level Mexican or Canadian forward.

It doesn't make sense from a couple of dollars but it makes a difference in her continued football development. Her situation in Sweden is similar to Kreiger in Germany, and BL did wonders for the half German. On a side note, I think Dunn is a dynamo, but when Kreiger over-laps, Press gets crazy looks at the top of the box. Dunn benching Kreiger NOW is like an U20 Thalia benching a young Simone for Brasil. USA backline needs heady play not youth. They got plenty of that in the attack.

As I've said, Brasilian football could have used her when Pia didn't want her. :ROFLMAO: No way in hell :mad: Brasil sees Gold in 2015 or 2016 against the squad Sermani is building, if they click down the road.

10. pressurecooker

Feb 22, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Hope waits 7 months after the Olympics to get her wrist fixed. Right before training camp of a new league She decides to get surgery ensuring that she will be paid in full while she sits out the entire season. Yup sounds about par for the course, hope you Seattle fans aren't surprised by this.

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I'm sure it was the Nats that influenced when she sits. They pay the bulk of her salary.

12. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Let's just hope she has her cell phone with her on the bench, so she can send out tweets during each match. Everyone would love to hear her commentary, while watching the match live.

I've always wanted a tag-team duo who do the commentary with maximum entertainment during the match. Brandi Chastain as lead commentary and Hope Solo with color commentary. With sideline reporter - Greg Ryan.

Brandi: "Alex Morgan drives toward goal, shoots, oohhhhhhhhh" (loud orgasm on the air)
    Hope: "Well folks, that's what a woman sounds like when she gets too excited. And I think there is such a huge difference between a black goalkeeper and a white goalkeeper. Let's check with our sideline reporter. Down to you Greg"
    Greg: "Thanks Hope. But you're still a piece of work. We talked to each coaching staff about how they should handle benching a player when she runs her mouth. We'll have a full report later. Back to you Brandi"
    Brandi: "Ohhhhhhhhh, another shot just missed. And that stupid ref didn't call the foul, she was draping all over her when she was trying to take that sh*t, I mean shot. Oh, wait, live action, there's the pass up ahead.
    Hope: "I didn't think it was a foul. You gotta be tough on the pitch. And these ladies are going to go full spee ...."
    Brandi: "THAT'S A FOUL" "CALL IT" "THAT REF NEEDS TO DONATE HIS CHECK TO CHARITY"
    Hope: "I thought you were a defender Brandi. Why are you always calling for a foul? Cat Whitehill doesn't always call for fouls when she does the broadcast. She always sticks up for the defender."
    Brandi: "Well at least I didn't go on Dancing with the Stars. Pass ahead, she takes the shot, Ohhhhhhhhh, are you kidding me? These players can't hit grass if they fell out of a lawnmower"

13. CANAmerican

CANAmerican Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Message from Reign's facebook:
    Looks like Krzysik will not be playing this season :(
    Also, there is currently 0 GKs on the roster. Maybe more trades are in the works?

14. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Like I said, they plan on going in a 3-4-1 formation, with no goalkeeper. :cool:

15. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

According to another NWSL thread:
    "Nikki Krzysik will play for the San Diego Sea Lions of WPSL and not the Seattle Reign FC who drafted her. According to Krzysik’s agent, the Reign will retain her rights for the 2014 NWSL season."
    Her husband recently signed with the NFL Chargers (was with Dallas).
    Did the Reign not talk to her or just hoped that he would sign with the Seahawks (instead of any other team) and she would play with Reign, otherwise its looks even more like a silly 1st round pick.

16. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    If Cali gets expansion franchise(s) in NWSL, then I bet Krzysik will play for a Cali team, especially if it's in Los Angeles or San Diego. Not sure on Bay Area, but she would probably play for them too.

[​IMG]

17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

If that was the reason they drafted her they look even more foolish than the Thorns.

18. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe only San Diego. Her husband signed for reportedly 3 years 5.7M and $2M signing bonus.
    For her to play anywhere else, the travel and living expenses and taxes would not make sense. Her job is to allow him to focus as much as possible on keeping and extending his career. Playing soccer is not a fall back option.

19. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    if a LA team is formed, it's less than 2 hrs away. i agree hubby's career comes first in this case. play well, and he's up for that 2nd and final signing bonus or extension.

20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Who is her husband?

21. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    John Phillips. He played TE for the Dallas Cowboys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    They almost look like they could be brother and sister.
    If only her head didn't only come up to his boob, they could pass as siblings.
    He's gotta be at least 13 inches taller, regardless of what each of their listed height shows on paper.

It's very rare for a sister to be more than a foot shorter than her brother, when they're both in their 20's, but I guess it's possible.

23. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since this hasn't been updated in awhile, the Reign just signed Rapinoe, "former" USWNT defender Stephanie Cox, and T&TWNT forward Kennya Cordner. In order to make room for them, they cut CWNT forward Tiffany Cameron and midfielder Lyndsey Patterson. A third player will be cut in a few weeks when Cox officially joins the team.

http://www.sounderatheart.com/seatt...ign-cox-cordner-and-release-cameron-patterson

Current reign roster is:

NamePos
    Michelle BetosGK
    Haley KopmeyerGK
    Hope SoloGK
    Lauren BarnesDF
    Stephanie Cox*DF
    Kiersten DallstreamDF
    Kate DeinesDF
    Elli ReedDF
    Jenny RuizDF
    Emily ZurrerDF
    Jessica FishlockMF
    Kaylyn KyleMF
    Kristen MeierMF
    Christine NairnMF
    Teresa NoyolaMF
    Megan RapinoeMF
    Keelin WintersMF
    Liz BogusFW
    Lyndsey CordnerFW
    Kristina LarsenFW
    Amy RodriguezFW
    Lindsay TaylorFW

* - will join team in a few weeks

24. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    The Reign have put themselves in position to field a strong roster, in terms of their player ratings:

F - Amy Rodriguez (90)
    F - Renae Cuellar (89)
    F - Kennya Cordner (88)
    F - Liz Bogus (86)
    F - Kristina Larsen (83)
    MF - Megan Rapinoe (94)
    MF - Jessica Fishlock (91)
    MF - Keelin Winters (89)
    MF - Christine Nairn (88)
    MF - Kaylyn Kyle (88)
    MF - Kristen Meier (85)
    D - Kate Deines (90)
    D - Elli Reed (89)
    D - Stephanie Cox (88) (rating may rise by the end of the year)
    D - Emily Zurrer (88)
    D - Lauren Barnes (87)
    D - Keirsten Dallstream (87)
    D - Jenny Ruiz (84)
    GK - Hope Solo (96)
    GK - Michelle Betos (87)

If all are healthy and there for a full regular season (including a healthy and fit A-Rod and Cox), then this is a middle of the table team at worst (and certainly not bottom of the table). I have no doubt about that.

Christen Press (as a forward, with a rating of 92 and rising) would set this team over the top, and put them as a definite Top 4 team in the league. Deines could be at a 91 player rating by the end of the year or by pre-season 2014 (injuries have delayed her growth in player rating, but her stock is certainly on the way up). The Reign have tons of defensive depth now, with six defenders featuring a player rating in between 87-90. The addition of Stephanie Cox has pretty much enabled them to say forget about Krzysik, who they just traded the rights away to FCKC in the Cuellar for Noyola trade. Stephanie Cox tended to float around the 91 player rating range in WPS (same as Krzysik).

25. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So which allocated player is Seattle going to have to give to Chicago? There's no way it's going to be Hope, and who knows if Rapinoe or Rodriguez are going to get allocation spots next season.