Reign 2019

Discussion in 'Seattle Reign FC' started by Blaze20, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Who this Yoshida is? Sounds Japanese, but I don't know of any other Japanese player joining Seattle.

By the way, didn't Utsugi join the team yet, after SheBelieves cup?

2. crossbarsave

crossbarsave Member

Reign FC
    United States
    Feb 4, 2019
    Sakura Yoshida. She’s an American, also a Reign academy player who signed with Oregon. She’s a non-roster invitee, like many of the bench players today. Utsugi is back but just got to camp, so not here for this first match, much like Rapinoe.

blissett repped this.
  3. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    <Knocks dust off this thread>

Ok, first game is in the books. Should have walked away with the three points but Jodie Taylor again misses a PK in the opening game of the season (I may be misremembering this.)

Losing two players in the first half is never ideal but somehow the team pulled through. I thought EKK coming on for Spencer stabilized the team in the middle as we were just getting over runned at that point.

McNabb also was a more than capable replacement for Oyster. In general I was impressed with the defense, especially Betos. The midfield not so much. Allie Long was invisible in this game which is not a good thing. I also don't think Andrews is a via #6 or #8 in this league. I rather see her in the #10.

I'm a big fan of Shea Groom and I'm not sure playing her in the middle is a good use of her talents. I would rather she plays on the right. With Spencer out I think that may happen.

Not sure how long Rapinoe will be out but if she's out this is the lineup I want to see:

Betos/Williams
    Jimenez-Delgado, Barnes, McNabb/Oyster, Nielsen
    Long, Kellond-Knight, Andrews
    Jenkins, Taylor, Groom

CoachJon repped this.
  4. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    If and when Rapinoe is back, I'll like to see a traditionally 4-4-2 with Taylor playing underneath Jenkins. So something like:

Delgado, Barnes, McNabb, Nielsen
    Rapinoe, Long, Knight, Groom
    Taylor
    Jenkins

Taylor is not that fast and actually affected the game positively in the second half when she dropped further into the midfield. So play her in that and have Jenkins up top.

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    How did Morgan Andrews play? I really hope she succeeds. We were all excited when she arrived at Notre Dame, but than Randy Waldrum left ND and she left for USC a year after that.

6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Is Spencer's injury confirmed to be an ACL?

What about Oyster? I heard she had to use a wheelchair to leave the pitch.

No version of your line-up has Utsugi in it (ok, when Rapinoe will be out for WWC duties, Rumi will most likely be out as well) and I see that she sat on the bench the whole game yesterday. Has she definitely regressed to second-string this year, despite the fact that she was quite a regular starter last season? Is Kellond-Knight the one who basically pushed her out of the line-up? :cautious:

7. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Yeah I totally forgot about her. It's difficult to know who to include because of the world cup. But I do think she and Kellond-Knight are exchangeable in that #8 role.

blissett repped this.
  8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If Oyster will be out for long, consider that Utsugi already played in defense also, in the past, both in the CB and FB roles.

9. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #109 holden, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    I think you can effectively have Taylor up top, but you have to treat her as a holding forward, not as someone who is gonna gallop their way past defenders (more akin to FCKC's early years with Henderson up top than their later years with Rodriguez and Groom). Though having someone speedy like Jenkins (this was the best game I've seen her have since 2013) makes it difficult to choose that gameplan. I could see a 4-2-3-1 (it was Vlatko's goto formation while at KC after all) with Taylor as the 10 (at least until Fishlock gets back, though if Taylor plays well there, Fishlock could swap in for one of the DMs). I'd put Jenkins out wide and Groom up top, though (I do think the two are pretty interchangeable, but I think Jenkins is a bit faster and has more experience out wide than as a lone forward, and Groom has had experience playing as the lone forward with FCKC).

Myrtle, MiLLeNNiuM and CoachJon repped this.
  10. crossbarsave

crossbarsave Member

Reign FC
    United States
    Feb 4, 2019
    Much like last season, it feels like Vlatko wants to get new players into the game early on in the season to see what they can do. So Westphal, Utsugi sit for this one while Groom, Jimenez Delgado and EKK play. Also think this played into having Andrews play in the 8 instead of others just to see what she can do as she will likely be relied on while others are away for the WC. I think Vlatko used 10 different lineups in the first 11 matches last year.

11. crossbarsave

crossbarsave Member

Reign FC
    United States
    Feb 4, 2019

Blaze20, L'orange and blissett repped this.
  12. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    This is about what I expected. I’ll still like to see McNabb get in the team though probably in the mid field

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  13. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    So this entire time I’ve been thinking Nielsen will be gone for the World Cup but alas Denmark didn’t qualify. That leaves this team in really good shape in the summer.

Betos
    Westphal, Barnes, Oyster, Nielsen
    McNabb, Fishlock, Andrews
    Jenkins, Yanez, Groom

That’s I starting lineup that could make top 4 anytime during the year. Now all we need to do is pray for no more injuries

14. crossbarsave

crossbarsave Member

Reign FC
    United States
    Feb 4, 2019
    Agree that we're in much better shape than many other teams during the WC. As always, the big question will be our ability to score without Pinoe on the field (and injuries, as you mentioned.)

15. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    To that end I really like what I see from Jenkins and Groom. These are two players that look like they create goals for themselves just from their pace alone. We would see how that plays out over the course of the season.

CoachJon repped this.
  16. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see you have Yanez in your lineup. I'll be watching this week's injury report to see if she's still out. Depending on her concussion history, her time out could be short or long. I'm hoping it's short, I really don't like concussion injuries.

17. crossbarsave

crossbarsave Member

Reign FC
    United States
    Feb 4, 2019
    So, Oyster and Yanez are back. We’ll see if Pinoe and Catley get to play or not. I’m guessing yes if at all possible given it’s the home opener.
    Reign injury report for Sunday:
    OUT: Jasmyne Spencer (Left knee), Taylor Smith (Right Knee)
    QUESTIONABLE: Megan Rapinoe (Right calf strain), Steph Catley (Right calf strain)
    INTERNATIONAL DUTY: None

18. Tapas&Fútbol

Tapas&Fútbol Member

Real Betis
    Spain
    Apr 11, 2019
    Seville (Spain)
    I’m getting a bit confused here; is Christen Westphal a LB or a RB?.

19. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I believed she plays both but mostly LB last year

Tapas&Fútbol repped this.
  20. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted to share my observation that Bethany Balcer made nice accurate long passes with both her left and right foot. Of course pros should all do that, but they don’t.

21. Tapas&Fútbol

Tapas&Fútbol Member

Real Betis
    Spain
    Apr 11, 2019
    Seville (Spain)

Do you think she could become USWNT material?.

22. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t see it right now....Could she evolve into one of the “good enough, but will-not-get-called-in” players?; time will tell. I think she will adapt to the team and speed of play in a reasonable amount of time this season. I think she needs to hit the weight room and toughen up to become a regular starter.

I am cheering her on because she is a pioneer representing the EXCELLENT non Division 1 college players that are under valued and overlooked by the Pros.

Tapas&Fútbol and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  23. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    What's the deal with Rapinoe: Is she hurt--what?--or just wanting to rest before the World Cup? The latter wouldn't be too helpful to her team or the league.

24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think she can. She is better now than Mallory Pugh when she got her first call-up to the senior team. The thing is that players like Pugh have been in the system "groomed" for many years.

I am rooting for this kid. I hope she goes far and gets a chance at the big dance.
    Reign play the Red Stars this Saturday night in Chicago, my seats are right by the tunnel to the left as you look at it and I will make it a point to say to her that she has fans throughout the league who are rooting for her.

The stadium is only a 3-4 hour drive from her home and former college. I'm hoping she will have former teammates and family members there to cheer her on.

Tapas&Fútbol, CoachJon and Smallchief repped this.
  25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Supposedly she will be ready in Chicago this Saturday.