Reign 2018

Discussion in 'Seattle Reign FC' started by Blaze20, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Other bits and bobs. The new kit is very nice. We got a 2018 Season Ticket Holder's only scarf this year which pleased me. The regular 2018 scarf is pretty awesome.

I spoke at length with many of the players. Addo is happy to be in Seattle, but her head is spinning a bit and she's cold. Long wants to kick ass (Long always wants to kick ass). Barnsie referred to us fans as 'old friends'. Spencer is excited to start playing and excited about the forecast of snow for Saturday. Oyster & Westphal explained how to tell them apart and then immediately switched identities. Bauer is eager for a full season and likes playing HM although she's learning how much more she has to see than at CB. Adelaide Gay (replacement GK) is with the club through April and is thrilled.

Jodie Taylor talked to me about her green card. She said it was a long and difficult process but she's very proud of it. It was finally issued when she entered the country this week. She also said she was excited about Seattle in 2014 when it didn't work out (we traded her rights in the Nairn trade that got us Little's rights.)

2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could you clarify what you were trying to say. I imagine Alli will get cheered in Portland and maybe jeered in a good natured way. I think former Portland players would feel dissed if they didn't get razzed a little bit when they play in Providence Park.

3. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he was joking. The Seattle "turf" is designed for football. The Thorns' turf is for soccer only. There's no comparison. Ask the Euro players who have come to Portland and been complimentary of the turf. Indeed, every few years, the Thorns' turf is completely renewed, as is happening right now. So, maybe all he was saying is, "Yes, there are issues with Memorial's turf," but "Portland has turf too [but there's aren't issues with Portland's turf because it's way better].":whistling:

4. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    True and true. Memorial's turf sucks.
    Portland's turf doesn't suck as much
    but the rules forbid turf starting in 2019 and Portland has already said they will ignore that rule, so i think Predmore was saying, the league can't force that particular issue and staying at Memorial is likely.

blissett repped this.
  5. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    She just said "I used to play in Portland" and paused and encouraged the booing,
    and then said, but i am here now.

6. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    :)Thank you so much for asking my questions :). When I posted them I was half joking.

With respect to Corboz and Delgado it’s good to hear that they are still on the radar. Though I think Seattle can still sign them without dropping anyone so if they’re thinking of doing that it might be because of cost of carrying more than 20 players. Additionally it might just be that 20 players or more is just too large a squad for the amount of games the the season.

With respect to the Press situations I’m glad we could get some closure. Want part of me thinks we should be making the trade but another part of me after seeing the smiling faces of most of those players don’t want to see any of them have to change cities again especially this close to the start of the season.

Addo being cold in Seattle is funny to me because wasn’t she playing in Sweden the last year or so? As some one who live in Ghana for 2 years I can understand the shock of the cold weather but I’m sure she’ll be fine :).

The NWSL trying to outlaw turf in next year is such I dumb thing to do that I don’t even want to waste time discussing it. Of all the improvements to make this is at the bottom.

8. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Oh I forgot to mention that I respect Vlatko for saying the starting line will not be fixed but determined in s game by game basis. However I’ll hold off on believing it until I actually see it in practice. Coaches always say this but than do the opposite.

And yes, I still can’t tell Oyster or Westphal apart yet. I think I still also confuse Andrews and Bauer. McNabb is also confusing for me.

After seeing the home kit i really didn’t love it but I’m sure I’ll grow to love it over time

9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Naho agrees, and she can now show the kit on her blog with no pixelization and with no flag-covering! :giggle:

Apparnently, Naho also appreciated the scarfs too, to the point of having "Scarf" as the title of one of the pages of her blog! :laugh:

10. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding of the discovery system is that it's very time limited. You cannot just hold a player on the discovery list. If you don't make an offer within a certain time (15 days I think?) then they are removed from your discovery list. So I won't say it's a good system, but I don't think it's as bad as that article made it seem to be.

MiLLeNNiuM and Reign Man repped this.
  11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Agreed.

I know some of these rules stinks but this particular situation don't really bother me. There are at least 10 Aussies playing in this league and I'll hazard a guess that they are all playing for the preferred teams. My impression of this situation is she was a player who've been in Europe for the longest and at the last minute decided to leave her team and play in the NWSL. Riley doesn't strike me as a petty negotiator so I'm sure he wouldn't mind trading her rights to Seattle.

blissett repped this.
  12. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    McNabb looked really different from last year. It took a minute for me to identify her. I forget how very young these athletes are! Sigh.

I spoke to her briefly. I didn't ask about an injury since there has been no announcement, but i gave her a couple of golden opportunities to mention one and she didn't. Still mysterious that.

13. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Thank you for all the first hand info. I'm glad to kind of put the Christen Press rumors to rest at this time. I have player attachment issues and I really like this group of players. I am happy with this roster without Press.

I do wonder about Simon on the practice squad...did those practice squad players come to the event last night too? Because I saw Jaycie Johnson in some pics from there, and she was at the photoshoot with the yellow kits earlier this week. And I saw that there was this article about Stephanie Ribiero hoping to possibly be named to her first pro roster so i'm intrigued at bit. Will we sign a couple practice squad players by Saturday? Because I know we technically have room if FO will pay up.

http://www.woonsocketcall.com/sport...cle_d14db88c-2d11-11e8-bbba-fb650ce51fc1.html

And also your comment that Bauer is learning the DM position correct? I didn't know that was in the cards but, I guess we need someone when Utsugi goes on international duty. I'd like to hear more about that.

14. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And I will post my predicted starting line-up because...why not.

Betos

Nielsen - Oyster - Averbuch/Bauer - Barnes
    Utsugi
    Naho-Fishlock-Long-Rapinoe
    Taylor

I feel this roster is every bit as good (probably better) than the 2 squads Vlatko won championships with. And the 2 years since winning I feel he overachieved with the rosters he had. Add that to the fact that Seattle's front office is actually supportive unlike FCKC and I think we are in for a fun year guys.

MiLLeNNiuM, blissett and Blaze20 repped this.
  15. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland's field is a FIFA Quality Pro field, meaning it meets FIFA standards for professional soccer. I'm pretty sure the NWSL is not going to disallow FQP fields. Seattle's field is not an FQP field.

16. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Good article here. https://www.sounderatheart.com/seat...7132752/getting-to-know-2018-seattle-reign-fc

The Reign unofficial supporter group had this excerpt from Fishlock ....

I know that Fishlock is close to Harvey and remains so even with Harvey in Utah but her words below sounds like someone who was aware that the team was stuck in a rot and there were changes needed that either Harvey was not willing to make or not capable to make.

I'm glad that Fishlock as captain of this squad is at the very least giving off the impression that she is loyal to the club and not any particular coach, player or otherwise.

[​IMG]

17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's not a real "prediction" if you don't choose between Averbuch and Bauer. ;)

Just joking. Good job Myrtle! Does the way you laid down the line-up mean that you actually predict a 4-1-4-1 formation? You're way more familiar with Vlatko's schemes than everyone of us long-time Seattle fans, so apart from the actual starters I would like to know how do you think he will put them on the pitch.

18. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Ha. I know, If Averbuch is healthy I think she will start. But i'm gathering that she picked up a knock since she hasn't really been featured in preseason games thus far so I guess Bauer it is!

Vlatko has tinkered a bit but always seems to go back to a 4-2-3-1 formation. And I think we have the right personnel for that so I don't think he will change. Here's more of an explanation....

- Typical back 4 with the OB's asked to go forward and provide width. CB's typically stay home and organize/read play.
    - Midfield is tricky: One DM who shields the back line and breaks up the opposition's attack (Think Desiree Scott or Jenn Buzcowski) which I think Utsugi fits into perfectly.
    -Then there is the do-it-all, box-to-box midfielder who still has defensive responsibilities but also helps with possession. Typically an energizer bunny type player (Think Jenna Richmond, Mandy Laddish, or Christina Gibbons). I think this is Fishlock's perfect scenario.
    - Then there's the attacking mid. The creative artist who dictates offensive possession, changes the point of attack, and scores/assists (Think Lauren Holiday) Allie Long could fit here or she and Fishlock could switch.
    -Then Outside Mids who are expected to deliver crosses, track back on defense, and spread the field out (Think Heather O'Reilly or Shea Groom). These are perfect for Naho and Rapinoe but I do wish we had some more depth there.
    - Then Forward: Vlatko expects a lot of his forwards....Hold-up play, covering lots of ground, lots of runs and off the ball movement, and speed (Think Amy Rodriguez or Shea Groom). They rarely have much in the way of defensive responsibilities though. I admit to not seeing Jodie Taylor play a ton, but from what I gather she is up to the task.

Let me know if something is unclear. I'd be glad to explain further.

Reign Man, blissett and CoachJon repped this.
  19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's crystal-clear, thank you very much! :thumbsup:

And I agree that most of our personnel looks like they were cherry-picked for this kind of formation (it's actually likely that they were indeed cherry-picked for this kind of formation! :giggle:).

You're rightfully worried about our depth in key-positions: we already miss our Australian player and Rumi and Naho will leave after this first game; who do you think will start when our international are onNT duty? :cautious: I have seen a little of Spencer playing last season, both in Aussie-League and in NWSL with Orlando, but I am actually not sure about her best role. Of course, in Orlando, with Marta and Morgan there used to be a different kind of line-up...

Myrtle repped this.
  20. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You are welcome. It was a fun event and i'm happy to help.

I agree with your assessment. I would've LOVED for Press to come to Seattle, but it needed to be 2 or 3 months ago. The disruption of it happening this week would've been upsetting to fans and bad for the club.

MiLLeNNiuM, Myrtle and blissett repped this.
  21. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Spencer is smart and screaming fast, she short so not likely to be in the center, but her crosses are almost perfect. She's best attacking up the left side.

MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  22. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That is pretty much the formation we saw in the exhibition games.

blissett repped this.
  23. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    In case it's not clear, this is a transcript of what Jess said from the stage last night. She really sold the crowd.

blissett repped this.
  24. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    OH, THAT's who that is!! There was one player i couldn't identify and i didn't want to walk up and say "who are you?". It was Johnson. Wish i would've talked to her. (She's also in the photos from the trip to LA.) Just a guess, but i would say she is on the practice squad with Simon. (I didn't see Simon there.)

Myrtle repped this.
  25. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No. Vlatko said no.
    But those players, in previous years, have provided a pool to pull replacements for injuries. In past years by league rules they remained amateurs, but this year there is a mechanism to sign them for one game at a time to replace players injured or on international duty..... so also yes, we might see one of them in the next month.

blissett repped this.