Reign 2017

Discussion in 'Seattle Reign FC' started by Blaze20, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    So another year have come and gone. Compare to the last two, this one was surely disappointing but we look forward to the next with renew hope.

As we began the off season, it will be good to keep an eye on the roster. As with other years, I'm taking the position that everyone is out unless explicitly indicated otherwise from a credible source. With that in mind, there's this:

IN
    Nahomi Kawasumi

OUT
    Keelin Winters

blissett and Airox repped this.
  2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Kim returning home to Arsenal Ladies, just announced by both clubs.

blissett and Reign Man repped this.
  3. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's a sad day.
    I really wish i had been wrong on this.

blissett repped this.
  4. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I am sure Laura has a card up her sleeve.

blissett repped this.
  5. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    She has done well in years past!

blissett and Reign Man repped this.
  6. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm sure she does. I can't wait to see it.

Still pretty sad about losing Little, but it was inevitable, and i'm happy for her.
    A bidding war in WoSo is good for the sport. I guess i'm a Gooner now.

7. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That's a good way to do it.
    Fishlock said last year that her contract runs through 2017 (and i saw her in a coffee shop on Friday with Harvs).

Pinoe, Naho and Melis have said in interviews that they intend to be back. (Not binding, i know.)
    Would Corsie still be recovering in Seattle if she wasn't coming back? (Not binding.)
    Any others?

8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, about the news of Little's transfer, yes, it's sad, but at least we can't really say that we didn't see it coming...

What I didn't see coming was the opening of a 2017 thread in October 2016. :laugh: Yes, I know 2016 season is finished, and Seattle Reign FC has to think about 2017 by now.
    But I was still waiting for updates and alerts from the 2016 thread and it's only when I heard a deafening sound of crickets from there (along with the announcement of Little's signing for Arsenal on other threads) that I decided to look for another thread, but it took me quite a week to think about that and discover it! :p

I have to say that, these days, I am distracted by U-17 WWC news (Japan in the final vs Korea DPR on Friday). :whistling:

Anyway, it looks like Seattle Reign FC's website honoured Kim with some kind of good stuff article ;):
    https://thebold.net/reign-fc-transfers-kim-little-to-arsenal-ladies-fc-152e0ec52a89#.5dcq3qgi3

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The Solo situation will be very interesting to see how it plays out. I for one think her time with the NT is completely over, which would mean she can't be allocated again. Does she go overseas for a better salary, or does her stubborn side inspire her to stay in Seattle as a way to say "Yeah, you can't get rid of me that easily!"?

10. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I really do see her going overseas. Just kind of a reset. Especially if her NT career is over, and she wants to put a little more money away.

11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    For me it comes down to if she's ready to start a family or not. If she's not I see her going overseas for a year or two to cash in. If she's ready to start a family, staying and playing for the Reign is what she will do. And yeah I agree her time with the USWNT is over. What remains to be seen is if both sides can but aside their differences for a send of game.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  12. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Ok now for the Little situation.

Truth of the matter is for some reason this news did not shock me or leave me sad for more than 5 minutes. Maybe I have been jaded by this season but where I am currently as a fan is I'm ready to see some shake up in the team. For the last two seasons most of the changes had been to role players while the core remained the same. But with the retirement of Winters and now the Little trade, things are starting to get interesting.

Little had been a great player for both the Reign and league as a whole but I think we were getting to the point of diminishing returns so I'm glad that both sides have come to an agreement that works for both.

This is a great opportunity to "rebuild" the team after the departure of Winters and Little and I'm quite excited to see what that will look like

On that note here is the updated roster:

IN
    Nahomi Kawasumi

OUT
    Keelin Winters
    Kim Little

13. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    And then there's this. Not really surprising as no one expected her to be going anywhere. They must have updated the terms because her previous contract was until 2018.

14. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Does anyone have an update on S. Green? How she has recovered from her various leg injuries/issues?

15. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Yeah I will like to know also. I hope she's part of our plans this season.

16. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    I have a question for Reign supporters. I think Little is irreplaceable, but if you could have a say in it: who would be your choice to take over?

17. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Truthfully, I don't think I would want one particular player to replace Little and that is because sadly I do not think there is anyone in the draft that can step in an replace Little right now. Likewise for any international who's not on a long term contract. So instead of looking for that one magic bullet, I rather we pursue 2-3 good players who individually will offer something different to the team.

I like what I see from Solaun and I think its time she becomes a regular starter in the #10 role. Add some speedsters who can come off the bench to offer something different from Rapinoe and Naho and we should be competitive again.

For me this is what the starting XI will look like:

4-2-3-1 (double pivot)
    Kopmeyer
    Pickett, Barnes, Fletcher, Mathias*
    Utsugi, Fishlock
    <Yanez/Solaun>**
    Rapinoe, Melis, Naho

Or a traditional 4-4-2 (single pivot)
    Kopmeyer
    Utsugi, Barnes, Fletcher, Mathias
    Fishlock
    Rapinoe, Naho
    <Unknown/Solaun>
    Melis, Yanez

* Sadly I think we are stuck with Mathias at RB with her recent call up. Though it is not all bad because I can see why she was invited to camp. She has most of the tools to be a good USWNT type defender but needs some polish. She has good speed meaning she can recover, is a good 1-1 defender and definitely better at keeping defensive shape than Reed and has the instincts to join the attack when needed. However, her penchant to commit useless fouls needs to be worked on. If she can improve that I don't mid her at RB.

** The CAM role is where we need help right now. I think Yanez can occupy this role as a withdrawn forward in a double pivot with Fishlock and Utsugi at the base. She played a couple of games this season in this role and wasn't that impressive but I withhold judgement as she didn't have the luxury of Fishlock providing defensive cover so she was stuck most of the time defending. However her skill set lends itself to this position much better than at left forward. I also won't mind seeing Solaun given a shot as well to change things up. Likewise if we can sign a new player capable of replacing Little.

blissett and lunatica repped this.
  18. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Reign rely only on players they had this last season then they will not do well next season. Whether it's through draft, trades, or international, they need a starter or two from outside. LH has not put much stock in the draft up until now, but with the #3 pick, she'll need to be looking at using it seriously.

blissett repped this.
  19. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I still think our starters minus Little and Winters can be competitive. Positionally or even individual player wise, there aren't many teams that are ahead of this squad. Which means the issue lies somewhere else as collective last year they couldn't get it done. Be it apathy, questionable coaching decisions, etc.

So going into this year, we will have at least 2 starting position open, 0 if you think Pickett and Solaun are ready to start. So in that sense I think we need to target at least 2 potential starters and at least 2-3 would be starters that are capable of starting on any given day.

Without factoring in GKs
    Locked in starters (9): Barnes, Fletcher, Corsie, Utsugi, Fishlock, Yanez, Rapinoe, Melis, Naho.
    Would be starter (3): Pickett, Solaun, Mathias.
    Others (4): Reed, Dallstream, Elston, Cruz

So for me I won't mind losing all the players in the "Others" category. That group for me adds nothing to the team. I also won't mind losing 2-3 players from the starter and would-be starter category if we can find able replacements.

But above all else, I think what we need to see next year is more flexibility in the starting lineup as well as the coach's decision. My hope is that without Little to rely on, Harvey will be open to trying new tactics, formations and players.

20. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In theory I agree with all you said there. But who you put in with those locked starters will make a huge difference. This team needs an upgrade, even if just a small one. Losing Little and Winters while adding no one would not be an upgrade regardless of tactic or formation changes.

blissett repped this.
  21. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Well roster updates have been announced and save to say there's not a lot of movement. Will update the roster momentarily

22. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    What confuses me in the Reign press release is they team said they extended contract to certain players and I'm not sure yet if those players signed the contracts. For example, I read somewhere that Dallstream "may" be retiring.

So far the current roster count stands at 17. I do not think it is all bad because is last year is anything to go by, contract means nothing and players can and will be waived at anytime if a better option comes along. Example: Caroline Stanley. With that in mind, here is where we stand.

2017 Roster - 17
    GK - 2
    Haley Kopmeyer - option
    Andi Tostanoski - option

Defense - 7
    Carson Pickett - option
    Rumi Utsugi - option
    Elli Reed - option
    Lauren Barnes - option
    Kendall Fletcher - option
    Rachel Corsie - contract pending
    Merritt Mathias - contract pending

Midfield - 4
    Jessica Fishlock - option
    Lindsay Elston - option
    Magan Rapinoe - federation
    Havana Solaun - contract pending

Forwards - 4
    Nahomi Kawasumi - option
    Manon Melis - option
    Beverly Yanez - contract pending
    Kiersten Dallstream - contract pending

Wilderness (1)
    Hope Solo

OUT
    Keelin Winter - retired
    Kim Little - traded
    Michelle Cruz - waived

23. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ROFLMAO:

steelers07 and blissett repped this.
  24. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    So late last week it was made known that the Reign selected Sinead Farrelly off waivers.

This pick is a bit questionable for me even though we are thin in the middle. This has to do mostly with not playing the last season and the half due to "questionable" injuries. Both in Portland and Boston she was placed on the season ending injury reserve never to be heard from again.

Anyway, this pickup led me to include players we have the rights to as best to our knowledge.

2017 Roster - 17
    GK - 2
    Haley Kopmeyer - option
    Andi Tostanoski - option

Defense - 7
    Carson Pickett - option
    Rumi Utsugi - option
    Elli Reed - option
    Lauren Barnes - option
    Kendall Fletcher - option
    Rachel Corsie - contract pending
    Merritt Mathias - contract pending

Midfield - 4
    Jessica Fishlock - option
    Lindsay Elston - option
    Magan Rapinoe - federation
    Havana Solaun - contract pending

Forwards - 4
    Nahomi Kawasumi - option
    Manon Melis - option
    Beverly Yanez - contract pending
    Kiersten Dallstream - contract pending

Wilderness (1)
    Hope Solo

Rights
    Summer Green
    Veronica Perez
    Ariana Romero
    Megan Marlborough
    Sinead Farrelly

OUT
    Keelin Winter - retired
    Kim Little - traded
    Michelle Cruz - waived

blissett repped this.
  25. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Another one bites the dust. Sad to see her leave but not overly worried. This leave more room for a younger prospect.