Regis given free transfer by Metz

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BuffloSoldier, Jul 23, 2002.

1. JPhurst

JPhurst New Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Does anyone know what Regis' salary was?

2. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    If Regis was good enough for Arena to pick him, then he must be good enough for the MLS. I never like Regis, but he can probably contribute for a year or two in the MLS. His problem is with English.

3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    PSG paid way more for Anelka than a reclamation project (plus he'd just scored a goal or two in the CC for RM) . He was not a project., simply a loon.

On Regis, clearly he'd be welcomed on most MLS rosters. in fact, I can't think of one on which he'd wouldn't be an improvement on the back line. Problem is the first in line is probably the Revs, where Regis would be required to lose any defensive ability he still owns.

4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    footfetish,

let's please skip the xenophobia baiting card. Thomas Dooley and Carlos Llamosa were also born and raised in other countries, and nobody gives them any crap. Unlike them, Regis was a complete mercenary at the time, who chose the US National team solely because it gave him his only chance at a WC. He had nothing invested in either the team or the country at that point. He's never actually lived here.

If he comes and plays in MLS, I'm sure the fans will warm to him, but one can forgive the lack of patriotic feelings welling up in the chest at the mention of his name.

5. JPhurst

JPhurst New Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    I'm not sure how Regis is much different from Dooley. Dooley didn't ever spend any time in America before becoming a citizen. He had an American father who was a serviceman. Much like Regis, this was discovered shortly before the world cup and he, for the first time, took advantage of the opportunity to become a citizen.

For that matter, I don't think Ernie Stewart ever spent any time in the States growing up. He seems a bit different, cause he was a bona fide army brat who for the most part grew up in an Americanized environment, even if it was abroad.

Regis' "investment" in America is that he, some years back, met a woman who was an American citizen that he decided he would spend the rest of his life with. I'm guessing he wasn't thinking world cup chances when he made that decision. Regis' connection is as bona fide as Dooley's.

6. vince stravino

vince stravino New Member

Dec 9, 2001
    Appalachia
    For what it is worth, Regis was born in the Carribean (Martinique, I believe), so he's got CONCACAF connections. He probably had some legitimacy to French citizenship as that is a French territory...but he was not born in France.

7. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    PSG paid exactly the same amount that they received when they sold him to Real.

David Regis sucked as a left back. But how many of you all have seen him play in central defense where he played for Metz? That's his natural position, not at left back. I'd love to see him in MLS.

8. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earnie lived in the u.s. from ages 2-7.

9. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    one of the images i will never forget about this past world cup was after landon scored against mexico and the first person to tackle him after he scored...

david regis.

the smile on his face made me realize that no matter where this guy was born, where he lives now or where he will live in the future he was a proud member of the united states national team that day and every day he has put on the jersey.

10. Rowdie

Rowdie New Member

Jan 27, 2000
    And this despite the fact that he hadnt played a minute and was totally out of favor with the coach.

And, when Arena singled him out as the culprit in the Honduras match at RFK, he did not whine or complain and even continued to come back across the pond to play for the guy.

David Regis, in my opinion, is a class act. And he IS American.

11. SeismicShift

SeismicShift Red Card

Jul 8, 2002
    Very well put. He is class and 10X better than Agoo-embarassment.

12. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    But he gave up an entire season of Bundesliga play in order to train full time at Bora's NT camp. You can't ask for much more in terms of commitment. Besides, Dooley had been fascinated by the US from his youth.
    That's not an investment in America. You marry a person, not a country, last I checked. And Regis chose not to apply for citizenship at that point, which he could have done.

Legal citizenship is a piece of paper. You can have a lot of different reasons for choosing to become an American citizen. You can do it for the most basic reasons, such as to find a better life for yourself and your family (such as Carlos Llamosa and Pablo Mastroeni), or you can do it for cynical ones like tax purposes (Rupert Murdoch, Bjorn Borg).

David Regis happened to do it in order to play in a World Cup. I don't fault him for that, but my take is, he'll be more "American" to me when he voluntarily chooses (as Dooley did, and as he had apparently wanted to do from an early age) to actually spend some real time here.

I'm perfectly willing to give Regis the credit that, over time, I gave Dooley, if he should show he actually wants to be here.

13. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Why are you being a jerk? Did I say anything about his accent? At least read my post if you're going to comment on it.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Like, for instance, the entire Senegalese World Cup Team, all being outfitted for coffins in a small shop in Rouen.

15. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ROTFLMAFAO.

Cheers,friesland....

16. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the accent comment was a joke... and i am not being a jerk (or at least not trying to be one). i am just tired of reading posts about how certain players aren't "american" enough... ie llamosa, stewart, agoos (should have stayed with the swiss), dooley, and every member of the 1932 world cup team.

and you are right. i reread your post and you did not say anything questioning regis' citizenship. maybe i picked the wrong post to quote. sorry. my mistake. but my point remains the same.

17. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    As he had/has an American wife he could basically get citizenship whenever he went through the mountains of paperwork it required. As he and his wife were both working in France, a prosperous stable country, it clearly wasn't an immediate need. When the US national team came calling I'm sure it gave reason to go through the process sooner rather than later. If it were me I'd have done the same thing. I have numerous friends in the exact same situation - spouse of an American-born citizen working abroad, who are American citizens despite having not yet lived in the USA. It's pretty common actually. And they're all just as American as you or I. If you have a problem with that you should take it to the politics forum.

With his comments after 9/11 and his comments regarding the US team and MLS I'm convinced he's one of the classiest guys on the team. I hope he does come to MLS.

18. JPhurst

JPhurst New Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Word up. Anyone who knocks Llamosa in particular is an idiot. This is a guy who came to America for reasons completely unrelated to soccer. He worked as a janitor at the world trade center the first time it was attacked in 1993. If he weren't on his lunch break, who knows what would have happened.

Llamosa embodies this country as much as, if not more than, anyone else on the team.

19. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    Excuse me? I don't get the Agoos "swede" thing. He's from Plano (sprawling north dallas suburb), TX. The same place were MTV did an antiheroin special where the little kids did what they could to support a $400 a day habit.

20. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he has some sort of connection with switzerland (not sweden). i can't remember if he was born there or if he lived a couple of years there as a child... anyone know the story?

21. He was born in Switzerland. From there his family moved to South Africa and then to the United States.

22. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago
    Thanks for the info. The league kept attendance numbers under raps abit last year, cant really find any hard numbers on it, but I'll bet my last dollar that their attendance dips dramatically this season with the Le Blah flop. The term is fickle, the nation is France.

23. dolphinscoach

dolphinscoach Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Bellevue, NE
    Regis would be a great find for a number of MLS clubs. While he has been bashed (too much) for poor recent play on the wing, his natural position is in the center. His club play at center back shows he can defend, attack and organize from that position. And I, too, want to give him credit for the way he handled himself over the past few months. He would be a tremendous asset for MLS teams with young defenders, helping to teach how to play on the field and how to behave when on the bench.

24. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Is that your final transfer?

25. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    so, Ace, the "young French up and comers" go to their own country?? How do they get to their own country??

Did 90% the whole Senegal team play in France "to die"?