Regis given free transfer by Metz

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BuffloSoldier, Jul 23, 2002.

1. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
  2. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Thanks Buff.

Any idea of where he may go? Or is MLS a much stronger possibility?

3. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Who knows...

4. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    Who cares...?

5. benine

benine New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    Chicago
    Exactly. When a French club gives you a free release, it's a good sign of the "interest" any non-scandanavian/MLS club has in you. I'd say he'll end up either in Greece, Turkey or MLS. But who cares, he stinks anyway.

6. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    LA should have an allocation available from the Vanney sale...

7. Mattinho

Mattinho Member

Jan 27, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why should he come to MLS when are there are fans like these guys? Clueless, absolutely clueless.

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Le David

This is taking the release out of context, if I understand it correctly. Metz released (or were set to) all of their high priced players - Baticle, Moreno, and Meyrieu in addition to Regis. I believ Metz has taken a hard look at the books, the prospect that they'll move up, and the overall weak financial state of the game in France and most everywhere else, and made a money move. The Metz players aren;t the only ones going like this - plenty of guys elsewehere too.

9. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Re: Le David

Metz is playing in the Second Division this year. They were technically relegated at the end of last year, but financial troubles at Nice kept Metz in the First Division. That is, until a French court ordered Nice back in the First Divsion, and thus Metz was once again relegated. This is why Regis was transfer-listed.

10. Deitch

Deitch New Member

May 11, 2001
    Queens, NY
    Re: Re: Le David

That sucks. I didn't realize that. I was so pumped to hear how Gooch would do in the French First (Le Championat?) I guess if nothing else its one less guy between him and a starting spot.

11. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll have a go at translating it.

Metz releases its large salaries

FC Metz, relegated in L2 after the DNCG's decision to keep Nice in L1, chose to get rid of some of its more highly paid players. So, Frederic Meyrieu, David Régis, Gerald Baticle and Tressor Moreno are free to sign with another club.

12. Noonan

Noonan New Member

Dec 16, 2001
    Colorado
    Re: Le David

Why wouldn't they at least try to get something in return? Couldn't they at least get something like a few hundred thousand dollars for the lot? Is it just not worth the effort? I'm just kind of curious as to why clubs would just give up on a player. (obviously I'm not an expert on transfers).

13. If this is happening everywhere, then maybe MLS can make its move now. MOmentum from the World Cup, economic downtime, lots of free players.....

Time for Garber and Co to step up and get better foreigners (and maybe even 10 more or so) in the league.

14. TheInstigator

TheInstigator New Member

Oct 3, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Rumor is he promised his wife (an American, hence his fast-track citizenship and hugely succesful career as a member of the USMNT) that one day he would play in MLS.

Maybe he'll now he'll be available for the MLS All-star game. I'm sure the only reason BA didn't pick him was because he was in serious training for Metz.

15. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why they wouldn't try to sell these players. I know that some players have it written into their contracts that they are free to leave the team idf it is relegated. Perhaps this is the case.

16. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Re: Re: Le David

Barcelona is allowing Rivaldo to go for free because of his high salary (and possibly because of his not-so-good relationship with the new coach Van Gaal). This seems to be a case of mini-Rivaldo.

17. Barca_Fan2003

Barca_Fan2003 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Slidell, LA
    Rivaldo could beat FC Metz 1v11

18. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    depends on how much he's allowed to "simulate" the throes of death in and around their penalty area ;)

19. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    dont the revs have a foreign slot? ooooh ya hes american.... ;D

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Metz' situation was unique, they probably could get minimal transfer fees. But the market is flooded. They're desperate to get rid of the salaries. If they ask for even $100K for Regis, there's other players available for free. Wasn't Berhalter a free transfer? Who is worth more, Berhalter or Regis?

21. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    Exactly. All these clubs are laden with debt because the salaries went unchecked for so long. Metz got relegated and still has a First Division payroll, and that just won't cut it. Who exactly would buy these players anyway? Italy just announced that Roma and Lazio currently are not in financial state to be in Series A and there are a NUMBER of clubs in the lower levels who might not play this year....No one will take Regis anyways....did they buy him out or just offer him as a free transfer?

22. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Please tell me one club, any club in the world who would pay money for a transfer fee for David Regis?

There are 100 other better players available on free transfer.

Aris, correct me if I'm wrong, but Regis isn't a "free agent" like in many other US sports. He is still getting paid by Metz, he is just available for no transfer fee correct?

23. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Let's not forget PSG let Nigerian International Okocha go to Bolton on a free. He's quite a bit more class than Regis.

24. ToffeeCrew

ToffeeCrew Member

Feb 11, 2000
    inches from insanity
    I think that "hugely successful" might be a bit optimistic. He could be brilliant one game and then crap in the next.

25. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Quakes fan, I'm in favor of MLS signing Regis and allocating him to the Galaxy.