Reference Charts for Your "Europe!" Arguments

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by roversawh7, Jan 21, 2017.

1. roversawh7

roversawh7 Member

Feb 7, 2014
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 roversawh7, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2017
    I am not sure where this fits best so I will put this here. People seem to like to argue about European league structures and other similar things, so I decided to start making a reference sheet. Current columns include levels of single leagues before tiers split into multiple divisions, teams in those divisions, whether reserve teams play in the pyramid, the highest level a reserve team can reach, and the number of teams in the top division.

I tried to do as much research as possible, but if you find a mistake, please let me know and I will fix it. Formats are for this season, with the 2016 season used for calendar year leagues. The second image has color-coding for reserves, with red for reserves outside of the pyramid, orange for reserves in the fourth tier, yellow for reserves in the third tier, and green for reserves in the second tier. Countries are ordered by coefficient at the end of last season with Kosovo tacked on at the end.

This really underscores how unique England is with more national leagues than anyone else and twice as many teams in those leagues as any other place. 30 of 54 pyramids include reserve teams with half of those allowing them as high as the second tier.

You can share these elsewhere if you find them useful at all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your second paragraph typed "orange" twice. You should have typed "green" in one of those places.

3. roversawh7

roversawh7 Member

Feb 7, 2014
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Green should be for second tier. I also forgot to highlight Spain, which should be green.

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fixed the orange/green issue but I don't want to mess around with the file to try and fix the other issue. If you happen to fix the file you can send it and I'll update your post.

Great work, thanks.

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scotland has one national league club per 125,000 residents. The equivalent per head of population in the US would be 2,876.