Referee Assignment Announcements & Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: Refereeing' started by SouthRef, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stole his girl in high school, I'm guessing.....

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'm just engaging in speculation, as lemma points out, but no, it doesn't throw me off. I think Proenca is a candidate and will be stronger by the day, if the Portuguese press gets hold of the idea tomorrow. But I've said Eriksson/Cakir for the Final since the end of the first round, so I stick with Eriksson now. But Geiger seems to be in with a halfway decent shout; there's just no way of knowing if confederational neutrality matters. History says this is Geiger's game. But Busacca hasn't shown he cares about history and other indications say it is Eriksson's game. Proenca, to me, is the wildcard.

Hard to say because FIFA data is sparse before 1994*. I'm actually not sure which tournament was the first where 4Os got introduced.

Since 1994, the semifinal 4ths...

94: Lamolina (Final 4th); Don (nothing)
    98: Al Zaid (Final 4th); Gonzalez (3/4 whistle)
    02: Hall (nothing); Veissiere (nothing)
    06: Kamikawa (3/4 whistle); Shield (nothing)
    10: De Bleeckere (nothing); Nishimura (Final 4th)

So, for the last 10 guys who were 4th on a WC semi, the most common appointment is nothing. The second most common appointment is 4O on the Final (even though RedStar said above no one has ever worked a semi and a final in any capacity). But a whistle on the Final has never happened--even though a whistle on 3/4 has.

Another interesting statistic... since 1994, the final four CR/4O slots have broken down:

2010: UEFA, AFC, CONCACAF, CONCACAF
    2006: CONMEBOL, UEFA, AFC, CAF
    2002: UEFA, UEFA, AFC, CONCACAF
    1998: CAF, AFC, CONMEBOL, UEFA
    1994: UEFA, CONMEBOL, AFC, CAF

In other words, these assignments get spread around. The only duplication has been on the 3/4 playoff, where Rodriguez supported Archundia in 2010 and on the 2002 Final, where a big huff had been made about using UEFA refs and Dallas was 4th to Collina. Otherwise, there is diversity. Given Rodriguez has already worked the 3/4 playoff, I think that bodes well for Geiger getting some appointment. I think he's 4th on the Final, honestly. Eriksson or Proenca with the whistle. Haimoudi/Irmatov on the 3/4 playoff in some combination.

*I've heard someone claim Vinnie Mauro was 4th on a semi... anyone know if that is true? I know he was linesman on a R16 and QF--and the Opener.

3. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  4. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Failed him in 9th grade math....

USSF REF, JasonMa, mtn335 and 6 others repped this.
  5. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    My understanding is English IS the language of the tournament. All refs have to pass a fluency exam, written and verbal, instruction is in English as well. Any other language might be a debate point (Klinsman and his French language comment for example), but ALL refs speak English very well, supposedly.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stat comparison for knockout stages through 14 games:

Yellows: 49
    Reds: 3
    Penalties: 5

Yellows: 50
    Reds: 1
    Penalties: 2

The statistics have come back to earth some, with there actually being more yellows in this tournament for knockout matches. That's interesting, because I remember 2010 as being a lot more physical. Of course, 2010 was helped out by a couple very low (and one no-) card games. And 2014 has two games (BRA/CHI and CRC/GRE) that had more cards than any knockout match in 2010--save the Final.

And, yes, the final tally for 2010 ended up being 67 yellows and 4 reds. So 2014 has a lot of work to do to match the final numbers.

jarbitro and London_ref repped this.
  7. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    So are both the final and 3rd place game assignments announced tomorrow?

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last time they were announced on the Thursday, together.

Seems like the 3/4 ref team would have to learn about their assignment last night, to adequately prepare and go through the right training. Final team would need to learn tonight at the latest. Wild speculation but I would think splitting the difference and telling everyone at some point today would be the sensible route. Just really a question of when the announcement is or when information starts to leak. But I'd guess we have a decent idea of who is doing what by late tonight, if not in a few hours.

9. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sam Borden ‏@SamBorden 1h
    In case you're wondering, the referee for the World Cup final will be announced at 3 pm local time in Rio tomorrow.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, but I bet we learn before then. They absolutely have to give the referee crew for the 3/4 Final more than 24 hours to prepare.

sjt8184 repped this.
  11. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    I hope/think the referees in question already know and the announcement is for us.

12. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something I just noticed...why in the world would FIFA keep Carballo on the "short list" for the final (aka, the refs that have stayed past QFs)? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. What am I missing?

13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An attempt to make sure more media attention wasn't drawn to the Neymar injury? The stories were just subsiding when the list was announced--and the list was barely noticed in the media. But if the "Neymar ref" got "sent home," that's another 24-48 hours of stories.

Political bone to Spain, as they used to run the Referees Committee?

Some combination of the two?

jarbitro repped this.
  14. ColoradoRef

ColoradoRef Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BECAUSE HE'S DOING THE FINAL!

*sarcasm*

15. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sure have the politics of this stuff figured out well. Maybe you should apply for a job with the FIFA's public relations department :D

sjt8184 repped this.
  16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #741 MassachusettsRef, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    Starting to see social media buzz that Eriksson has the Final.

Of course, no sourcing yet--but there really can't be until tomorrow at 3pm. So take this as you will.

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haimoudi for the 3/4 playoff whistle.

And apparently Argentinian press is running with Eriksson as the whistle for the Final.

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haimoudi/Nishimura confirmed for 3/4 playoff.

If the Eriksson rumor is true, I think that bodes well for Geiger having the 4th.

sjt8184 repped this.
  19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twitter is in full-blown "it's Eriksson" mode.

Of course, rumors fuel rumors. But there don't seem to be any competing rumors at this point. Earlier tweets about Irmatov having it all came from his area of the world. Rizzoli is the only other name I'm seeing out there, but it's much more speculative/conditional.

All signs point to Eriksson.

La Rikardo repped this.
  20. mtn335

mtn335 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...so what you're saying is each of us need to work to create a massive network of retweets to take over Twitter with the news that Geiger has the final?

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha. Well it seems to be what the Uzbeks tried! Though "massive" is relative.

The Eriksson "news" is coming from a lot of different quarters and is being pushed by people who have been right before. Plus some of the same people who pushed Eriksson were then able to confirm Haimoudi. But we have been surprised before...

22. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I expect Ricci would a good candidate for the 4th.
    Got to give Brazil something, it's their party!

PH

Erocker repped this.
  23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

Bummer. I was really hoping for Geiger, like many of us.

Maybe we will be surprised tomorrow, but it certainly doesn't look good.

He was really close though. A great showing.

sjt8184 repped this.
  25. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Argentina is 100% happy to have a high level UEFA ref that does CL matches. When you consider where Argentina players play, Erikkson will have practically the similar experience levels with both teams players.

So is the nature of global football.

jarbitro and La Rikardo repped this.