Reentry Draft

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Hedbal, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff is reporting that the FO is considering making a play for Robby Rogers in the reentry draft in case Zayner's injury issues continue. He is 32 and makes $135k, but would probably accept a lower figure. His wife is a lawyer in DC, so this could work well for him. What do you think? (Yes, I know, he attended Duke - but let's not hold that against him).

2. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    considering this team was a swinging door in allowing headed goals (as well as non-headed scores on free kicks and crosses) defensively, he would be a major upgrade to our defensive corp. Offensively he attempts to get into the attack but more resembles a bull in a china shop. Negligable upgrade in going forward compared to Korb/Zayner

Also, if he was drafted in the First Stage of the Re-Entry draft, wouldn't United be on the hook for his entire salary? Where does lowering his salary come into this? By definition, United would have to wait until the 2nd Stage of the Re-Entry Draft to renegotiate his contract (United did this with Josh Wolff last season).

United would risk losing him to another team in the First Stage as well as the teams ahead of them in the 2nd Stage.

3. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Actually it's Robbie Russell of RSL (not Rogers of Columbus). From Goff's article, it sounded more like a trade DCU were trying to work out for Russell.

asitis

Edit: I went back and reread Goff's post. He did not talk about a trade. I guess I assumed a trade before the reentry draft because of the reentry draft rules Cweedchop mentioned above.

4. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like it's done. Welcome to DC United, Robbie.

Follow up tweet:

5. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Never that impressed with him, really.

I'm beginning to think I'm the only person who liked Korb at right back.

6. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not the only one. I like Korb, too, but he was prone to rookie errors, like most rookies are. If he can improve his play while holding down the reserve-team slot, and give some quality sub minutes, he will do well. RR is 32, after all.

7. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I like Korb at RB, but he would get caught upfield too much. Russell is more of a defesne first RB. Russell can push Korb to improve his defense.

Anybody have an idea of how injury prone Russell is? We need someone durable at RB. It think continuity will go a long way towards fixing our ills. I'm pretty excited about this guy. He had a great stats in Football Manager several years ago.:p

8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff now reporting Tino might be in the re-entry draft, his option has not been picked up (or rumored not to have been).

Good and bad news. I was really hoping he'd pick up his game, I like him - but it has not worked out that way.

9. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I've no idea if there is a plan, but if no other teams choose Quaranta, then DC could offer him a lower contract.

10. Anthony The RN

May 19, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would Santino take a lower contract though?

11. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like the Russell pick up, could definitely see him at RB and Korb moved to the left. Either way, it's good to have some veteran depth on the back line. Not at all concerned about his salary.

Shame about Quaranta, but he wasn't earning his pay. These things happen, maybe he'll be back.

12. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    throw Simms in there too.. just saw goff say we did not pick up his option either.

13. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I gotta say I like these moves. I understand the sentimentality over Quaranta and Simms, but frankly they have been key figures in one of the worst MLS teams in history over the past few seasons. I know you can't blame them specifically, but now we have younger, cheaper and better players coming through so their time has come. I think 2011 was their last chance at their current salaries.

I also like the Russell pick up. More experience on the back line was needed, and his experience is diverse having played several respectable seasons in Scandinavia. He's also played now 3 years at the highest level in MLS playoffs and CONCACAF Champions League.

1 person likes this.
  14. itwasi

itwasi Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't know
    Club:
    DC United
    cleaning house

DC United players eligible for re-entry draft

Brandon Barklage
    Marc Burch
    Steve Cronin
    Devon McTavish
    Kurt Morsink
    Joseph Ngwenya
    Santino Quaranta
    Clyde Simms
    Jed Zayner

Personally, I would have liked for Barklage to stick around (see what he can do in camp at least) and for them to have gotten something for Simms in a trade.

I have a sentimental attachment to Quaranta and if they could reduce his cap impact that would be great but didn't play well for an extended period of time and I get the move.

15. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing I am a little sad about is Zayner, as I remember the opener v Columbus and he was MOTM for me before he went off injured. But we already got his replacement, and I wish him well in the future.

I thank Clyde for his work too, but he was too pricey for what he did and we can play Kitchen in his role now.

16. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although it isn't very nice of me, I'm ecstatic to see Burch on that list.

That's a lot of salary on that list, this is a needed and welcome purge.

1 person likes this.
  17. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if it's a "plan", but more like a gamble that nobody will take interest and they can offer him a restructured deal.

I think he would. But if he was smarter, he'd go trial and hope to take his family over to Scandinavia and get away from it all for more money.

I have a hard time seeing his family in that role, but I think it would be a good lateral move.

But I think he'll be back for less. It he isn't claimed, it will be interesting to see what he decides.

I dont' have any problems with any of those players, I think they are all good choices, none really earned a new deal.

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Last week we protected Simms from Montreal.

This week he's going into the re-entry draft.

Makes you wonder why he was protected last week.

19. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Again, perhaps they're hoping to renegotiate?

20. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    A plausible explanation. But I'd like to know what happened. Especially since Goff is tweeting that Simms returning is unlikely (though not impossible).

21. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    I've been saying that for 4 years now. It is time to cut the fat and improve this team.

22. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Finally, KP and DK are doing something right. Clean house and build with youth and quality.

Philly made it to the playoffs in two years as an expansion team, surely we can find a way to get there this year.

23. itwasi

itwasi Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't know
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't like this at all. Not simply failing to retain Tino at a reduced salary but the way it was handled. This team is supposed to be better than that.

Goff blog

24. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I agree.

25. redcomet

redcomet Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    I thought he'd have to wait for part 2 of the RD to renegotiate a lower salary.