"Red, White, and BLUES" Donovan at Everton + Chelsea rumors?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Marko72, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I don't think Pienaar will be sold unless it is stupid money. I've heard he is close to agreeing new contract, and that he wants to sign it before the WC.

If anyone goes, my money is on Yobo. He has dropped from first choice to 4th choice CB in about 2 years...

2. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    Define "alot" (hint: it isn't a word).

As for your requested definitions, I think this link ties them up nicely.

http://www.mercer.com/qualityofliving

3. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
  4. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Not going to happen, but i would love to see Everton sell Pienaar and Fellini and purchae Michael Bradley , Landon Donavan and Omar Gonzalez. Having 4 americans on one EPL team would be off the charts. and IMHO Mike B is a different payer than Fellini but adds equally as much value.

5. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in a million years from what I saw of Fellaini during the LD loan.

They would be dumb to sell Pienaar too. Class player....

6. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Fellaini is a top class player. United tried to sign him the summers before we did. Real Madrid had a bid rejected for him in the summer we signed him. At one game for Liege, he had over 40 scouts from different clubs around Europe watching him alone. He has grown into some player and reminds me a lot of Vieira. Still only 22 as well!!

Bradley is a very good player too, and I know Moyes rates him highly as he has been to see him numerous times and has been strongly linked with him for a few summers too. Wouldn't shock me to see him move here sometime, but we are pretty rich in CM quality right now.

I've not seen a whole lot of Gonzalez but he looks a great prospect. Fantastic build for a CB, athletic, and a wise defender.

Hey, I'm all for the Americans coming to Everton, none have let us down so far, infact quite the opposite! :D Even Joe-Max Moore was my favorite player at the time!Haha.

7. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

Control could be the key word in discribing these two. MB is an all out box to box mid and Fellaini from what I've seen appears to play a more defensive role; much calmer on the ball and picking and choosing when to move move forward.

8. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Gonzalez has looked great so far this year in MLS. The MLS has quite a few young talented defenders that will probably be headed abroad in the next few years. Another one to keep your eye on is Tim Ream.

9. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    I'm trying to think of one area Bradley is as good as Fellaini. I can't think of one. Seriously if Bradley had reached Fellaini's level yet BM would not be able to keep hold of him.

10. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    He's not. I was hoping in 2008 that Everton would pick him up, but Moyes chose the right guy for his midfield. Bradley's good, but Fellaini's at another level.

11. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    On the other hand Fellaini also plays upfront for Everton on occasions, he is superb going forward. It's just that if you watch only a selection of his games you don't see that as if he's playing with an attacking minded player in midfield in can adopt a more defensive postion.

12. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    I do rate Bradley he's a good midfield engine and one of the best US players (something that I don't think all USA fans recognise), but as you say Fellaini is just on another level. Tbh Everton are lucky to have Fellaini as I can't think of any club where his face wouldn't fit.

13. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I think American fans do underrate Bradley. In my mind, as far as current American players go, the "top echelon" is represented by Donovan, Howard, Friedel, and Dempsey (or a pre-injury Jermaine Jones if you want to go there), and the next level below them is Bradley and Onyewu. Most of my fellow fans probably wouldn't rate him as highly, thinking of him as roughly equal to the other midfielders we have (Edu, Holden, Clark, Feilhaber, etc, all of whom I consider the next level down). Strangely enough, he's one of the few players that I think European observers in general rate more highly than we do; perhaps the only one.

Fellaini (at least before he got hurt, with major injury you always have to re-evaluate afterward) was possibly one of the 10 or so best central midfielders in the game, you could say. That's rare air.

14. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    There was a discussion about Donovan's situation on BBc Radio 5 Live World Football Phone in (takes place at like 2am over here - discusses North American/South American/African football) and had a guy from the US on (Sean Wheeler?) who they have on quite a lot.

Anyway, he was explaining Donovan's contract situation with regards a move, saying how if MLS want to sell LA will have a say but more in terms of what they would get should the deal happen (i.e. next big player to come to MLS, they talked a lot about this being Thierry Henry..?).

Then he went on to say that Landon will be at a PL club come the start of the next PL season, and that Everton is his 1st choice and that Everton would love to have him back.

15. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a lot of talk of Henry coming over to the New York Red Bulls after the WC. Rumor has it NYRB just offered Lehman a 1year contract as well. Not sure if he is a good friend of Henry or not from their days at Arsenal.

I'm still 50/50 on where LD ends up after the WC. Evertong or LA?

16. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    They were saying because MLS holds his contract and will get the money, LA has to be compensated in an equivilent way, i.e. getting a big name player, thats why they were suggesting a big name player coming over to MLS from Europe, like Henry.

He also talked like the Lehmann thing was a done deal.

17. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting....Sean Wheelock knows Donovan personally, I do believe. Or at least has a great rapport and "in" with him as far as sportscasters/writers go.

Thanks for the update.

18. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    With the new DP rule (each team has two slots, plus an option for a third at a small penalty), NYRB could end up with both. You have to think the league will want a marquee player in NY with that new stadium. At the same time, they're not going to want to leave LA bereft if Donovan leaves.

As for Henry, should he sign, he probably would have some leverage of his own, and his desires (NY vs LA) would probably be taken heavily into account. There have been several DPs now, but Henry would certainly be the biggest post-Beckham signing, eclipsing both Ljungberg and Blanco, and there's no way the league makes Henry go to KC or someplace like that if he doesn't want to go there. In any case, I'd say that LA and NY both would most likely get theirs before Seattle/Toronto/Chicago/whomever else was in line for one. Unless say a guy like Hargreaves eventually comes over. Clearly they allocate him to Toronto or the Whitecaps...

19. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00rv6b7/Up_All_Night_03_04_2010/

The link to the show is there. I don't know if it works outside the UK (sorry?!). The World Football Show starts about 1hr and 5minutes in. There is a bit about MLS/Donovan/Henry/Lehmann is more in depth around 1hr 21/22minutes (and 1hr 35ish).

Sorry if you can't listen :(

20. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Yep Beckham went to LA Galaxy, cos he wanted to live in LA, it was as simple as that. If Henry goes to the MLS (which I don't think will happen until the end of the next European season at the least) then he'll be able to pick and choose where he lives too.

21. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Honesty, the player that LA needs the most out of those guys is Lehmann. Goalkeeping is a big LAG weakness. Even apart from Donovan, LAG is in decent shape attack-wise, and Henry would only make an already good attack better. Edson Buddle's one of the better all-around forwards currently in MLS.

22. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take Donovan Ricketts over Lehmann anyday of the week.

23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as would I

24. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ka-razy talk. Ricketts is a good keeper, but he is barely qualified to carry Lehmann's jock. That said, LA does not need Lehmann at all. Ricketts is plenty good enough for that team. As far as age is concerned, he's in the goalkeeper prime.

Lehmann has said pretty definitively that he is retiring at the end of the season. Sean Wheelock seems nice, but he seems to talk out of his rear quite a bit and lets sentiment get in the way of reason when discussing MLS and U.S. players.

25. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no way LA would waste a DP slot on a goalkeeper. Donovan Ricketts is more than adequate and his backup, Josh Saunders, is no slouch either.

Which is why when Ricketts has his usual fall-to-the-ground-get-hurt-call-in-the-trainer routine in every game, no one blinks because Saunders is not a downgrade.