"Red, White, and BLUES" Donovan at Everton + Chelsea rumors?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Marko72, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robdawgie

robdawgie Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude needs a mental break much more than a physical one.

2. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    Frankly, I'd be shocked if he's still in MLS after the summer. I think he's ready to leave. If Everton are willing and able, then great, but I don't think he's going to turn down offers from other major clubs just so he can go on another fairly lame loan deal with Everton in January. Nothing against Everton of course, but 10 weeks in an English winter is not going to cut it for him again, IMO.

3. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Well, firstly, welcome to the Everton family. Anything you wanna know bout the club, don't be afraid to fire more questions my direction!

1. Yeah, Moyes doesn't judge players on form, or reputation really. He researchs a hell of a lot into his players, before Landon was even aware of any interest Moyes probably knew more about him than he even realised. He will have got numerous scouting reports, reports on persona, etc. Most of his successful purchases are players with a hugner and desire, something to prove. Players who were well renowned and chased by top clubs only to leave and/or lose form, motivation (Arteta, Pienaar, Heitinga, etc.), players from lower leagues eager to prove themselves (Cahill, Jagielka, Gosling, etc). They all got a point to prove, part of why Landon was successful is I think he had that too.

2. I think it depends on how high it goes, and how high Moyes values him at. Moyes is pretty stingent with his money, he will happily walk away from a deal than pay over what he feels is a fair price, and he wouldn't put the club in danger by spending money that isn't there. I think it partly depends on what Landon wants too, if he says he only wants to come to us, it swings th deal more in our favor but ultimately it's upto MLS on the value and Moyes as to whether Everton rate him to that price enough to spend it. I think the most he has ever spent on anyone aged 28 or over is like £5million, so if he pays more than that for Landon, I'd say that's how much Moyes rates the lad and it'd make LD feel pretty damn special.

3. I think, well, it'd take a bit of negotiations on all sides (LD, MLS, Galaxy and Everton) to work out what the best deal is, whether that's forming a partnership or friendship of some respect or something else (being purely hypothetical here) or a good fee with a buy price or first option back to LA, I dunno. What I do know is he is well loved here, as only evidenced when you go on Everton forums and regularly see his name cropping up in topics and threads about him, even just these last few days. The players would love to see him return, that's a given. I think Moyes would too. I think if all parties are willing for discussions to take place, and people are reasonable with negotiations, I see no reason for it not to happen.

That's true, but he would still get a 6 week break (minimum, depending on how far Galaxy get, e.g. in the playoffs) which is usual for players here in England. Steven Pienaar (amongst others) will be in a similar situation as he played Confederations cup, and will play World Cup football too.

If he signed here and was in need of an extended break after the WC, he'd be given it. All the WC players are given a longer break than others to return with us.

4. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I was being hypothetical, in reality, it's probably a very different situation.

I'd think if there was a chance of him coming back to Europe on a permanent deal in the summer, provided the price is reasonable, we'd be in the queue.

5. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    You're still at the front of it. If he doesn't go back to Everton, it's only because he's staying in LA. And that would have more to do with LA/MLS's desires than his own.

6. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    i forget what article it was i read, but it seems like landon expects to make a move after the WC.

i think right now he would prefer that move be to everton, but i don't see MLS/galaxy taking less the 12mill USD (about 7.8mill sterling) or so. if everton is up to spend in that area, i think he goes. if they are not, but someone else is, i think he goes there.

if neither, there's a good chance he'll be on the californian beaches for the rest of his career.

7. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I'd say that would be more or less true value, and what Everton would expect to be paying should they ask (£8million).

8. robdawgie

robdawgie Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that £8million is the absolute minimum that it would take to pry him away from LA.

It's a common argument whether or not a good World Cup raises your value, and I'm in the corner that it does. If Donovan plays well in the World Cup I could see him garnering as much as £12-14million.

Either way, Everton seems to be a financially sound club that does things the right way. They remind me a lot of my Cleveland Indians. They know that they can't financially compete with other teams so they have to invest and find the bargains and then eventually sell when you know you can't afford them.

9. robdawgie

robdawgie Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what its worth I feel that with Donovan next year, Everton could be scary-good.

If they're able to add a CB with the sale of Pienaar and Fellaini comes back to be half the player he was this season, watch out. That dude was unreal in the games I watched.

10. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    yes, i think £8mill is the minimum, but i don't see anyone but MLS valuing a 28 year old donovan at £12-14mill. i think he's easily worth that to MLS, but i think they are honest enough with themselves that their value and the global market value are probably a fair distance apart. it will come down to them deciding if they want to sell while they can or not.

i think he is easily worth that to MLS, i don't know that he's worth that to top clubs though. if he'd proven himself 4-5 years ago in europe, quite possibly. not with him pushing 30 though.

11. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Here's the thing: just how much is he really worth to MLS, financially? He's the league's best player, and with the loss of Beckham, he's LAG's marquee player, for sure. But just how much of a shirts-and-asses-in-seats guy is he? Compared to Beckham, he hardly moves the needle. In other words, how much money does MLS/Galaxy lose if Donovan's not a part of it?

Not all that much, from where I stand.

Getting a good $12 million now with a first-option to buy him back and a couple mid-summer friendlies with Everton in the deal (one can be say next season's all-star game, and probably a friendly with the Galz at the HDC this summer), plus the fact that Donovan's about as good an MLS ambassador abroad as any, and this could actually work out in MLS's favor in the long run. My guess is that he'll be a slightly bigger draw when he returns. And, barring a bad career-ending injury, you know he's going to return in about 3-4 years anyhow.

12. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    plus the return on him would provide money to buy another player of high quality. like a mexican perhaps.

13. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    Just curious, which Mexican player do you think MLS could buy/afford that would have the star power of Beckham or the name recognition of LD?

14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Dos Santos?

15. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    we don't seem to really be disagreeing.

16. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
  17. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
  18. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    Ok, that makes MUCH more sense. Not that Galatasaray is a team to ignore....

19. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turkey's not a bad league. It cant be the best place for a young rich guy to live though in context with Western Europe or the United States.

Its a shame that MLS cant get the funding to buy some of the best players in the world because they would come flocking here like lemmings. Its just the easiest place to live if you want to have fun and/or have a family. Players are interested in coming here, but MLS just cant pay enough.

If the DP allowance were doubled, the level of play in MLS would skyrocket.

20. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we know that he's in the top 5 of jerseys sold in MLS, only behind the top DP's. After his Everton loan and Blanco's departure, I wouldn't be surprised if the number has gone up even more.

So he's definitely one of the most valuable players in the league, but I don't know if he's worth $10 million.

21. Cujo1126

Cujo1126 New Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say western Europe is more fun, and its certainly more beautiful. BUT IF YOU ARE RICH (and only if), the United States is a great country to live in.

22. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what

the

f***?

23. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he hates our freedom!

24. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    He doesn't think America is the greatest country in the history of the world! Kill him! Kill the heretic! :rolleyes:

FWIW, Western Europe is a lot easier to live in for middle class and poor people. That doesn't mean you can't have a good life in America as a "non-rich" person, but it is quite a bit harder.

25. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Really? Define middle class - poor - good life - non-rich - and harder.
    Alot of pot holes in that statement.