Red Devils Rising - Past & Future Squads

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Blondo, Sep 23, 2013.

?

Red Devils are ...

Poll closed Sep 23, 2014.
  1. Rising

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Falling

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Oddsmakers having a look at us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what are Ciman's chances? Would be nice press if he's on that roster

3. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    He's getting called up regularly ... has played more than expected in the WCQs ... our defence is starting to become a worry (ageing) ... he gets along well with the others ... etc. ... his chances are fairly decent.

PS having a look at the odds, from my previous post, was interesting mainly because it's young talents ... of course I don't mind having a look at senior players too.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Zinho Vanheusden tore his ACL in a Youth League game and his season is pretty much over. Maybe he'll get a few games when the season winds down. The infographic says up to 6 months but it could be more including a return to being fully match fit. With Skriniar and Miranda ahead of him he would have been handed limited time on the pitch. Chances could have arisen though. Injuries like these are quite harmful to a young talent's development, you don't wish them on anyone and it's even more of a shame as Belgium's defence needs new blood (and Inter looking to bring through a new Bonucci). Kabasele seems to be doing well though.

[​IMG]

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    probably a bit off topic but is Leon Bailey really interested in representing Belgium or was that just rumors?

6. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    He made statements that he wants to represent Belgium while Martinez said he's on his radar but needs to improve before he can be considered. In the past I heard that Jamaica came for Bailey but so far he hasn't committed his future as an international to them. Hard to tell what his plans are ATM but he still comes back to Belgium (ran into a bit of trouble last time he visited a gym in Genk, the city where he played before his move to Leverkusen, and made fun of a guy who was training there).

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
  8. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    If offered the opportunity, Nilis would be interested in taking over as striker coach once Henry leaves.

9. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
  10. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Asare is eligible for Belgium now. If he can find his top form again he could be another option at LWB. Reportedly Bobby is having a look at Limbombe and is also considering him for the LWB spot. Cools is probably on the 50-55 man shortlist too. Like Limbombe, Foket, Castagne, Miangue and J.Lukaku ... Cools isn't quite there yet but the little experience he does have is on both flanks. Still it seems a bit late now to bed in a completely new face (together with Tielemans and/or Dendoncker you could bring one more for experience). I guess Russia will come too soon and for the (full/)wingback spots J.Lukaku, T.Hazard, Carrasco, Meunier, Chadli and maybe even Januzaj are ahead in the pecking order.

11. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    The EURO for Europe will go ahead without Brussels, the capital of Europe, while London will take over as hosts despite Brexit. It's emblematic of Belgium's political pettiness and the maze of red tape. The necessary permits aren't even in order more than 3 years after being selected. Now that UEFA have pulled the plug ... at least we'll be spared more of the endless quarrels between politicians, bureaucratic pencil lickers, self-serving businessmen, football bobos (bigwigs/clowns), etc.

Belgium made a promise ... not even an ambitious plan but just the one, rather humble, stadium ... and embarrassingly failed to deliver. Where will we play now? Currently our national stadium's lease hasn't been extended and that's the right decision considering the state of it. Other stadiums in Belgium are lacking enough seats. In the recent friendly against Japan we played on a sub-par pitch and I'd expect that will be a recurring issue if we go down that route. Maybe our current stadium will be renovated (yet again? Please don't!) or maybe we'll downsize an already humble plan like Gent did with their award-winning stadium after FIFA handed Russia the World Cup ... probably Ghelamco will pull off a repeat of what they managed in Gent.

After the WC2018 Belgium/Holland bid was denied we were given a crumb, a standard package to host 4 EURO2020 matches, and now we don't even have that ... crumbs are for the birds though. Our team will have to forfeit home advantage in the EURO2020 group stage and fans will have to travel all over Europe to attend our games. Considering Romania and Hungary, two of the poorest countries in the EU with stadiums that will meet all UEFA and FIFA requirements, are getting the job done I cannot but laugh at the sad state our "country" is in. Poor, poor Belgium. Who knows we might yet see the EURO stadium built after losing our crumb ... Belgium might even land a European final once in a blue moon ... still it's been over 30 years already and with this EURO stadium debacle I doubt UEFA will be eager to hold a CL or EL final in Belgium, definitely not their CL flagship.

12. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    After Kompany and Ciman ... Fellaini has also said he'll retire from the international game after Russia2018 ... they aren't that old ... especially considering where they play on the pitch ... I'm hoping others won't follow suit and hang up their boots prematurely. Vermaelen, Vertonghen, Dembele, ... have also entered their 30s ... in midfield we should be assured of a smooth transition but our backline needs work ... as long as the new guys haven't stepped up their game/haven't been properly bedded in the KBVB should take care of our "veterans"/help prolong their international careers ... with an extra competition, the Nations League, starting in September we'll need a deep squad.

13. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013

14. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
  15. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
  16. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hey everyone! I was kind of just looking around and I'm curious to hear from those of you that follow the local Belgian scene as to who your 'next big things' are supposed to be? I asked this of the Dutch and German forums as well but I'm really curious about players born in 97 on; which ones have the most potential in the future?

Really appreciate any response. :)

17. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    This list (from the top of this page) contains the names you're looking for. High-potentials: Tielemans is still the biggest name (he didn't meet the high expectations in the first half of his debut season in Monaco but it's looking better now), Charly Musonda, Dimata, Andreas Pereira, Orel Mangala, Rigo, Antonucci, Bongiovanni, Verlinden, Vanheusden, ....

18. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Thanks for the response. I saw the list but I was looking for I guess something a little more specific.

How do you feel about Emmers and Faes in terms of their top end potential? I really like what I've seen from Emmers, but Faes has been mostly just okay. I'm in love with Rigo as a player but he still isn't getting the opportunities he deserves at PSV.

19. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Faes received plenty of plaudits for his performances during the WC in Chile but since then the hype has died down. A shame really as we'll need CBs to come good. Engels and Denayer also have ways to go. Vanheusden is viewed as the most promising CB talent coming through if Inter fans are to be believed (he was getting into the matchday squad last season and in the current one before he had a horrible injury though; Inter have loaned him back to Standard so let's see how well he performs once he returns to full fitness). I'd love to see Emmers gain first team experience as he's long been touted about. Hard to say how well he'll do making that step.

20. avdmeers

avdmeers Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Belgium
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Carrasco to China -.-

Hope he loses his spot soon along with Witsel. Damn traitor, had the traits to become a great player and squanders it for money.

21. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Such a waste. I had the feeling that Carrasco would have pushed on had he not stepped down to a league with a lot less quality. It's doubtful he'll improve in a less challenging environment. I'm hoping T.Hazard moves ahead of Carasco in the pecking order (not as a wingback even though Bobby considers both as options). Thorgan is having a good season and I could see him succeeding at a bigger club. Mertens and Mirallas aren't getting any younger (and Chadli is close behind). Januzaj and Bakkali have ways to go (the former is finally starting to get back on track) and from the uncapped talents Mbenza probably is the next one competing for a place.

22. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
  23. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    U17s qualified for Euro 2018 in England ... final draw on 5 April 2018 (we're in the same pot as Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal, etc.)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_UEFA_European_Under-17_Championship#Final_draw

U19s eliminated, ending up behind France and Spain
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_UEFA_European_Under-19_Championship_qualification#Group_6_2

U21s edging closer to qualification after their 3-0 victory over Hungary
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_UEFA_European_Under-21_Championship_qualification_Group_6

Still have to play Malta and Hungary (both away games) in September and we end with Sweden (away) on 16 Oct.

24. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Youngest player to score 100 PL goals coming from outside of England - 5th youngest including English players.

[​IMG]