Red Bull NY

Discussion in 'China' started by Fevernova99, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Hey any of you new yorkers gonna go on that bus to dc to watch the opener?

2. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Are you in a fan club? Do you know how the MetroStars fans are organized?

3. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well since the takeover by Red Bull they are offering free bus trips free game tickets to the opening game in DC. I think they will try all kinds of promotion to attract as many fans as possible (freebies or double headers) so if you want to watch them live keep an eye on their website.

4. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    I am going to be in Shanghai during the opener, so I can't even watch it on TV!

5. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    I hate the Metros, excuse me, the Red Bulls, but I do think its interesting how this move is relatively unique in American sports. While it is common for Asian teams to be directly owned by major corporations and often have that corporation's name as a part of the team name, that is not the case in the US and Europe. It's oft talked about that this is the direction European soccer is headed (and there already is a Red Bull team in Europe). On its face, it would appear the MLS would be the perfect league for this kind of corporate takeover as the teams aren't that expensive, they lack the history to cause a huge uproar, and their owner (in most cases AEG) is interested in selling. However, from what I've heard, the Red Bull situation is unique and won't be replicated, though it wouldn't surprise me if, as MLS expands, some of the new teams have a very close relationship to a corporation a la CSL and the rest of Asia.

6. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I'm going to say I HATE the idea of Red Bull taking over any club. :mad:

7. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

Nice. Wish I could go. Perfect time for cherry blossom viewing in DC too.

8. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    It's not that bad, especially considering the club (and the league) has no history. It's not like what they did in Austria already. They've been willing to pour money into the team and its probably going to pay huge dividends in the long run for the NY team (perhaps they'll finally win SOMETHING) and for the league as a whole. This road trip thing is definitely a nice step (though I think a lot of casual fans will go and view it as a cheap vacation), they've improved the locker rooms, and are going to do a lot for getting the games on local tv, etc. It's good for the MLS...