Red Bull acquires Metros

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Huss, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Your feelings on this transaction...

2. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

lost for words, i want to stab somebody:mad:

3. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's great to see new investors and hopefully a new SSS.

I'm not impressed on how well the Salzburg take over has gone. Red Bull alienated many of the old supporters in re-shaping the team. Hopefully they'll not make the same mistakes twice.

I voted 3.

4. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My short version: Its an odd name and siuation and will take some getting used to. But its kind of exciting. This guy will throw this much money at a team and a league - it has to be good news.

If you want your business to fail: Keep making your product the same way.

MLS - the more it changes the closer it gets to making money. That is the bottom line.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    The Metros needed a change. Is there a team in MLS with less success? For a team that could have been the leagues showcase franchise they were pretty horrible. With all the players they had gotten over the years you'd think they'd win at least one trophy somewhere along the way. If this move blows some needed oxygen into the depleted lung called the Metrostars I'm all for it. I have to say I never liked the name Metrostars and I don't think RedBulls is any more ridiculous. I think there will be lot more promotional stuff happening and I think that Red Bull's demographic is the one that MLS wants and needs. I expect to see hot bartenders all over the metro area wearing Red Bull MLS jerseys, and that's a good thing for the league. Could red Bull New York kick Red Bull Salzburg's ass?

6. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Its not too bad. I just feel the name is stupid. Im not against the purchase at all, though I made a mistake with the voting.

7. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    AEG are still responsible for the stadium, or so I hear.

8. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    i think the name is terrible... and there has been talk on other threads about the new team disassociating themselves from the metrostars' history.

all of a sudden h-town dynamo doesn't sound as bad...

9. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i never realized exactly how emotionally invested I was in a club i live 1000 miles away from until right now.

It's completely irrational and I want to throw up.

10. 7Jam

7Jam New Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Allston Rock City
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't you do the same if you just purchased the sorriest MLS franchise? (in terms of on-field performance and expectations) I'm sure they want to mold a completely new image for their NY team, and with good reason.

11. EyesOnBall

EyesOnBall Member

Jun 14, 2004
    I thinks it is great to have new company and money coming in MLS. And hopefully Red Bull will be able to field a better product on the field.

12. EyesOnBall

EyesOnBall Member

Jun 14, 2004
    GO NY/NJ Red Bulls!!!! or NY/NJ Toros!!

13. Gints86

Gints86 Thanks Mchead

Nov 15, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Its been 10+ years that we have all been following the metrostars. This sucks and it sucks hard. I never really liked the metrostars name either but it grew on me. My biggest concern now will be our home "red" jerseys which to me look all too pink. As far a fans go, a lot of us hung in there and made long road trips to see the metros play and for it all to end in the matter of weeks sucks. I will stay true to "RED BULL CRAP NEW YORK" but we still need a winner and Red Bull better stay on top of that.

14. NASL Fan

NASL Fan Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It just seems so cynical for a company to buy a team and then name them after their product. I mean, I know it's not unprecedented: still, it seems weird. This and the Houston 1836 fiasco make it seem the league isn't serious somehow. I'm starting to worry about MLS.

15. Lenny Karris

Lenny Karris New Member

Nov 18, 2005
    the 'Burgh
    Still, isn't Bayer Leverkusen named after the pharmaceuticals company? I mean, this isn't unprecedented. If Red Bull has a vision for taking the club forward, and the resources to do it, I say fine. Still, I'm an outsider and admit that it must be much harder for a real Metro fan. Tough stuff guys. I hope this works out for you.

L

16. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    Yeah, Red Bull s+cks.

Now there's an American in F1, just because Red Bull invested their marketing dollars in a positive program to promote the sport. I hope they don't try to do the same with soccer....

17. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I've always thought that new money and new investors = good thing for MLS.

18. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Money is good, and at least NYC still has a soccer team. I'd happily keep the team in San Jose and call them the Yahoos or the Apples or the Oracles, for that matter. A team with money and a funny name is better than no team at all. :mad:

19. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4- will take some time for everyone to get past the company name. I like the name better than the old one, though.

20. Shrunkenhead

Shrunkenhead New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Fremont, California
    Agree completely.

21. 2-0 Baby

2-0 Baby New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted 4. It's great to have new investors, but the name kind of sucks. The American media will have a field day with it. Soccer is starting to get some credibility and then we have two name fiascos. On a positive note, most of the hoopla over the name will die down in a week or so. In this case our fast food culture will help. I just hope that the Metros fans don't abandon the team completely. As one poster said, a team is better than lack thereof.

22. Amerikaki

Amerikaki Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Queens
    So what are we gonna be called now?

The Red York Bulls?

I dunno, and redbull colors? Cmon, i'd rather have knickerbocker colors!

23. The Wisdom Cube

The Wisdom Cube New Member

Oct 7, 2005
    Clemson, SC

Maybe we should rename Chicago to Jolt Cola FC. Granted, they needed new blood, but they should not have agreed to this ridiculous name change. I am a neutral, but I think that this is very disrespectful to the loyal fans who have been with the team for a long time (and bought stuff emblazoned with the Metrostars name and logo). Regarding the Bayer Leverkusen example, that is a company that has been intimately associated with that particular community for over a hundred years.

24. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Kinda pissed, but glad we have a different owner and all. We'll see how it goes.

25. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the name and I like the fact that there's new owners with money in the sport.