Recommended portable practice goal (8x24)?

Discussion in 'Coach' started by cinepro, Jun 26, 2012.

1. cinepro

cinepro Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  2. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That is a pretty good option due to the lightness of it. I use a bownet which gets pretty heavy and the carrying bag has a tendency to rip.

3. VegasFootie

VegasFootie Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I own a Kickster and love it. A 6x12 for training youth. I will buy a second.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.greenbowsports.com/soccer/kickster-goal.html
    They don't sell a full size one however.
    At my D class we used a pair of Golme full size goals.
    http://www.golme.com/
    [​IMG]
    They are easy to setup and strong enough to train adults on. The bag will last too. I watched a well used (well loved) golme take two weekends abuse from adults and teens. Shots off the posts at full blast weren't a big deal. I was impressed and would buy one if I ever needed a full 8x24 goal.

4. GAZZA821

GAZZA821 Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

5. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    [​IMG]

Sorry I missed the part about being transportable.

I always recommend flat faced training goals. It functions just as well as a goal with "depth" but it's practical for shooting and goalkeeping drills—you don't have to fish the ball out. Plus you can shorten lines by having two groups going on either side of the goal but you can just stand to one side and observe and give coaching points without having to walk very far.

They are very light. I move one no problem with the aid of 11 YO girl the other day.

Storage is easy as well as you don't need a lot of real estate.

Rebaño_Sagrado repped this.
  6. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'd second the recommendation on the kickster as well.

7. uvahoos

uvahoos Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The kickster works great indoors. They are great to play 5 v 5 games with keepers in middle school gyms.

8. VegasFootie

VegasFootie Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    @Gazza821- There are optional sandbags that can be purchased for keeping the kickster in place on solid floors. Really, anything could be used or nothing. It stands fairly stable and my hottest u8 couldn't rip a shot hard enough to tip it when I didn't bother staking it. Coach, maybe.
    The only points of contact are the sides that provide the depth. The back pole(s) (the width along bottom) are canted to provide a certain tension to the whole thing. The corners are plastic and unlikely to mark a hard surface. The whole thing is designed to absorb and deflect the energy of ball-strike so it will bounce around a bit. If I was really concerned I'd wrap it with some duct tape or athletic tape with pre-wrap? at the couple of places that could possibly contact the floor (not that many).
    If I were you I'd definitely get two of the futsal sized goals for indoor/gym use. One adult really can set one of these up in minutes and they break down and stow really well. Roughly the size of a lawn chair and about as light.
    I have zero access to goals of any size for training so I had to buy something. One of the parks I use is a flood control basin so I needed something I could throw over my shoulder and walk a quarter mile descending 60'+ on steps or gravel, while carrying a bag of balls and cones, and another soccer bag with my kit and tricks and water. I love my kickster!

9. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the nets these guys make: http://www.soccergoals.com/. Their FFIT is flat-faced, like the Coerver goals, but less expensive, breaks down into a bag that's just 4 feet long, and weighs just 40lbs. Fits in a car trunk. Very satisfied customer here.

I've had a full size 8x24 one for over 10 years, with constant use and it's still going strong. Very sturdy and durable. In fact, I will set it up and take it down twice tomorrow for training... takes 7-8 minutes each way.

10. ranova

ranova Member

Aug 30, 2006
    That says a lot....

11. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What I don't like about the rebounders is precisely their lack of depth. Some might say they are the same as a regular goal with depth. There is shades of gray to me and a big piece that is missing is... I've always taught my players to aim for the lower back corners during penalties because the goalie will never reach the ball if its kept a low driven shot to one of those spot.

12. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, I wouldn't use a rebounder goal for penalties. I tell my kids to aim for the side netting, which is obviously missing.

13. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    This would make a good sticky. Maybe title it "Training Equipment" as a catch-all?

14. Speedy Gonzales

Speedy Gonzales New Member

Jun 6, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  15. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I stole 4 Brooklyn Gas big cones. I used them for over 40 yrs. you hit them you score.

Since I got them with the 5 finger discount I found them very cheap. I still have them be willing to part with them for 50 dollars a piece. Buy 1 you get the second free just pay extra shipping and handling.

Helps the player keep his shoot down.

16. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Got a pretty good way to practice taking pks I will give credit to Kevin from and-again for this.

Recreate Pressure for Penalty Kicks.The BEST I have ever tried on this is as follows.

1. At the end of training and the players are ready for a cool down I ask them if they want Penalty Kicks Competition to finish.
    Nearly every time they will answer YES

2. I then say that this is a Penalty Kick Competition with a difference.
    THE FIRST PLAYER TO MISS OR HAVE THEIR PENALTY SAVED THEN THE COMPETITION IS OVER - thats it, no more kicks
    3. So, in theory, the VERY first penalty taker could ruin it for all that follow.
    (and you must be strong enough to do this if necessary)

4. The Gk/Gks incentive is that IF they save the penalty then they can have a nominated award (your choice)

Believe me, IN PRACTICE this creates enormous pressure and WILL simulate what they will experience in a real penalty kick competition.

You could also divide them into 2 teams (with a GK each)
    The same condition only now the FIRST player to miss or have their kick saved then the other team automatically wins

17. danielpeebles2

Dec 3, 2013
    is there anyway of convincing u-littles that you dont' have to kill the ball when your only 2 feet away form the goal?

they love destroying these little tent goals.
    what's funny is when they miss a short range shot and have to chase it about 50 feet.

18. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    #18 rca2, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    When I practice instep drives, I literally do the same thing, but from 5-10 yards out against a soccer goal or chain link fence. Lets you practice technique with power. In a match I wouldn't use that technique at that distance. So the coaching issue is not so much the degree of force applied, but the choice of striking technique. Like selecting the right club for a golf shot.

What you do is based on your coaching objective. It is not a bad thing technically for them to use an instep drive at 2 feet. It is also not a bad thing to have to chase the ball if the strike is not accurate. If you teach multiple striking techniques AND the exercise is tactical in the sense that you want them to select an appropriate technique, then an instep drive against an open net from 2 feet is a mistake. I have seen plenty of adult players make the same mistake. I think it is the adrenaline taking control. Ball mastery in tight spaces reduces the "flight or fight" mechanism and produces calmness on the ball. To get that, work on ball mastery. For U-Littles, "work on ball mastery" is the correct answer to 98% of the questions. :D

19. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Institute a "you hit it, you get it" rule.

20. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I finish practice with penalty kicks.

The losing team runs 5 sprints.

They love the kicks, hate losing.