recent troubles in Turkey...

Discussion in 'International News' started by msilverstein47, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #26 Borussia, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    I totally agree with your statement. Exactly the words of a Turkish friend of mine. Unfotunately, it seems that too much power is spoiling the character of many politicians (not just in Middle East)...

@ IM

I'm soooo surprised to see you not being a fan of Erdogan anymore. :p:D

Improving the economic situation alone (what isn't solely his very own merit, btw.), is not the only criterion to be judged as president of a country.

2. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I know, and I also know how this country looked 30 years ago and how relatively well our situation is compared to all our neighbor countries.

Erdogan has been a bit cocky lately but he's still much better than the opposition and has improved more than only the economical situation. Even when he had so much power, who cares? Are we in war? Are we facing a huge economic crisis?

The only ones that are against him in Turkey are either the opposition or hipsters.

3. Turkoglu

Turkoglu Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Istanbul
    Turkey has always been in a better situation than its neighbors. if that's your comparison. If that's the aspiration, than be it.

AKP has done great things in the past for the favor of the country. Taking the power from military and giving it to the people, stabilizing the bank and financial infrastructure of the country therefore stabilizing the economy, giving out a hand to the Kurdish minority were the big three major successes of AKP. These are a fact.

However. You can not tell me that, they are becoming more and more oppressive. This is the issue. Even if you are one of them and from their party, and you slightly criticize something they have done, you are immediately shown a red card.

They have no tolerance to any critization, protest etc. If you do so, police can take you away, lock you up, and that's it.

If that's the kind of country you would like to have, then I have no words for you.

And they have also started to publicly speak about their agenda nowadays. Maybe you heard of it. Did you hear about the student homes being searched by police to make sure that the apartment tenants are either all guys or all girls?

Or an AKP spokesman coming out and saying, schools should be separated by sex, it will be better for the country?

Can you also guarantee that we will not give 1/4th of the country in the near future?

But oh yes, it doesn't matter, this is all hipster talk, economy is booming....

El Chuma and Timon19 repped this.
  4. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  5. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I managed to just miss out on the latest round of protests starting up (a week ago Sunday). This set of scandals was huge news the whole week I was there earlier. It's really fascinating to talk to people there about it.

6. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  7. Mosan

Mosan Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Munich
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The shoe box affair was hilarious. A bankster getting caught at hording money in a shoe box is slapstick humor at its best.

Erdogan and the AKP are no genius saviours of the Turkish economy. They may be applauded for freeing the country from the chains of an unhealthy influence of the military as well as chopping down an old, grown system of curruption. Yet Turkey has been waiting in the starting block and Erdogan sure knew how to ride this fresh wave most opportunistically. His years as major sure prepared him for the pragmatic aspects of politics.

However idiologically his AKP is showing more and more true colors. Their views concerning rights of women (obligatory headscarf), individual freedom (no puclic kissing in subways, integration of religion into the jurisdiction) or freedom of speech (Internet laws in the making which rival China in rigidness, journalists harrased/sentenced by officials at will) are more than alarming. The mere fact that a rather small incident like Gezi park caused authorities to go into Rambo mode shows how convicted Erdogan and his AKP actually are in order to push their agenda.

I rest assured that in the end it is still about the money (= curruption) once again (eventhough the social topics are gonna cause more media uproar)

Borussia repped this.
  8. Klask

Klask Member+

Jun 7, 2007
    Club:
    FC Bayern München

9. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I think that Mr. Erdogan's move yesterday will only help matters! No one will be angry at all!

10. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  11. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Strange that no-one wants to bring up the recent election results :whistling:

Waliatiger, teammellieIRANfan and s7kru repped this.
  12. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    All hail Soltan!

13. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    #38 JBigjake, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  14. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy religion wins, freedom loses...

15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Apparently, mass-imprisoning journalists has received a popular mandate. Yay?

16. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    s7kru repped this.
  17. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The major thing that wins votes is economics.
    AKP simply has now competitors when it comes to that department.

Erdogan has transformed Turkey into a powerful country with a large, diversified and vibrant economy.
    Even with Twitter and Youtube shutdown and other questionable things, the AKP is pretty sustainable and will sit comfortably in power for many decades to come.
    For better or for worse.

s7kru repped this.
  18. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    But mainly for the better. The AKP is not perfect but its record in government is far far better than the CHP, the military or other alternatives. The vast majority of people are far more free now than they were under the aforementioned.

Waliatiger, s7kru and teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Unless you're a journalist who doesn't suck AKP cock.

20. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    "Some of you are going to die, martyrs of course, for the freedom that I will provide."

21. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  22. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Awful accident.

My wife is turkish, and apparently her uncle died too in this accident.

23. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  24. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany