Recent music purchases

Discussion in 'nicodemus Guestbook' started by nicodemus, Mar 29, 2004.

1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That didn't help much, but I guess I'm closer since I know what a southern accent sounds like. I like some rap, but I don't know much outside of the few groups I listen to.

2. talina_baby

talina_baby New Member

Nov 20, 2003
    phoenix, az
    It's not rap, it's R&B. Anthony Hamilton and Musiq Soulchild sound nothing like mainstream R&B - that's why they're so easy to listen to.

I highly recommend both. :)

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then I would probably like them. I can't stand mainstream R&B. You might like this group though. They're jazzy, but have some vocal guests on their albums that do a good R&B-type thing. They're mainly instrumental, but its good stuff:

[​IMG]

4. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    R & B sucks!

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you ain't heard Soulive sucka!

6. talina_baby

talina_baby New Member

Nov 20, 2003
    phoenix, az
    He's probably thinking of sucky people like... umm.... I can't think right now. Usually, if they have a video on either MTV or BET, most of the time they suck.

Suck.

7. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I'm talking about. I like you more with each post.

8. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    [​IMG]

Bought this as a belated present for my wife who closed her 1st loan as a mortgage loan officer. I like her 1st cd ok.

9. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That NJ album has been on constant repeat at my house since the **^(^*&^*)^ thing came out. I'm soooooooooooooooo tired of it.

10. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    my wife doesn't really listen to music at home so I'll be ok. :p

11. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had a mean eBay run lately and I've ordered some more CDs. I will post them when they arrive :D

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sound Tribe Sector Nine: Seasons 01

[​IMG]

Bought this at their show last night which was pretty incredible. They play a very beat oriented type of improv. They have a drummer, a percussionists, guitarist, bassist and keyboard player. Three of them have iMacs on stage and do a lot of computer effects too. The percussionists doubles as a DJ/electronic percussionist and the drummer just lays down insane beats.

13. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Sound Tribe Sector Nine: Seasons 01

Yes sir, yes sir. My birthday is the week and that always means CDs CDs CDs! I went to the store last night used some birthday money and some of my own and bought a crapload of CDs!

Prepare for the onslaught:

14. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doc and Merle Watson: Sittin' Here Pickin' The Blues

[​IMG]

Doc Watson, one of the masters of traditional American music. He can play it all: country, blues, bluegrass, jazz or whatever. He's getting old, so see him if you get the chance. I haven't seen him yet, and hopefully will get to do so. Due to his age and the fact that he's been blind from birth, he doesn't like to travel too far from his home state of North Carolina, but he does sneak out occasionally. Seize the opportunity if it arises.

15. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kill Bill volumes 1 & 2 soundtracks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You might not like his movies or his style, but you'd be hard pressed to say that Tarantino doesn't know music. He draws from such a wide range of stuff to put in his films. These have everything from J-Pop to Zamfir to Isaac Hayes to Nancy Sinatra to Johnny Cash. Good stuff.

16. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neko Case: Black Listed

[​IMG]

Don't know too much (or really anything about her), but I heard one good song she had in that crappy Katie Holmes movie The Gift. Besides that, I decided to check her out because I've seen that a lot of people that like Calexico and 16 Horsepower like her.

17. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morrissey: Viva Hate

[​IMG]

I don't know why I've waited so long to start buying his stuff. I've liked just about everything I've heard. My brother used to have Your Arsenal and I really liked it, but never went out and got it for myself. After listening to Viva Hate a few times last night, I will definately be getting more.

18. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Calexico: Feast of Wire

[​IMG]

I got into these guys a month or two and really like them. They have a definate southwestern US feel (I think they're from Arizona) that also draws on a kind of darker "alternative" (whatever that means) sound sometimes. Good stuff. I also checked them out because a lot of 16 Horsepower fans seemed to like them.

19. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yo La Tengo: And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out

[​IMG]

Listened to some samples in the CD store and dug it. Mainly picked it up due to the recommendation of two of BigSoccer's music gurus: hangthadj and ross_from_st_paul

20. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ali Farka Toure: Niafunke

[​IMG]

The king of African blues. This guy could be touring the world, making the big bucks, but he decided after doing that few years ago, that he was losing touch with his roots and his people. He decided to go back to farming and only occasionally doing shows and albums. This album was recorded near his farm in Mali and it is his best work in my opinion. He's recorded with Ry Cooder and Gatemouth Brown, but took this one back to his own style. Look for his protege Afel Bocoum, who may surpass Toure one day.

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joss Stone: The Soul Sessions

[​IMG]

I'm sure I will tire of this very quickly, but I liked the one single I've heard so I decided to check it out. When I tire of it, it will automatically become my wife's favorite CD. It happened with Norah Jones, and I see that same potential here.

22. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alecia Nugent

[​IMG]

Debut album by bluegrass singer that I've heard is actually more old-style country than bluegrass. It's good to see someone eschewing the new pop country crap for the old style. I listened to some clips in the store and figured I'd try it.

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rob Ickes with Blue Highway: Big Time

[​IMG]

Once again, I checked it out in the listening booth and decided to check it out further. Ickes is a dobro player and these guys are supposed to be some of better young practitioners of bluegrass.

24. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Old Crow Medicine Show: O.C.M.S.

[​IMG]

Don't know too much about them other than the fact that I dug the clips I listened to in the store. They're a bunch of northern city kids trying old school southern music. They seem to do a pretty good job with it.

25. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Re: Ali Farka Toure: Niafunke

you DA. You asked for this for your birthday and I ordered it. I may can stop shipment as I just did it yesterday.