Rebooted USWNT Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kyle Crew, May 18, 2019.

1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lloyd's chip on the 3rd goal was very reminiscent of Pipa. Sweet.

Press abused that girl on the 2nd.

Opener was a beautiful team goal.

LaVelle & Heath are incredible with the ball at their feet.

The women are a ton more fun to watch than the men.

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The women have a coach.

3. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    She was so bad that she failed even at sucking. It was sub-awful.

DGA57v2 repped this.
  4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Then why did my wife storm off and I lost all interest 10 minutes later?

Bill Archer and soccerncbus repped this.
  5. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    I've tried watching the women play, and I've wanted to enjoy it, but I just can't.

They undoubtedly play good soccer, and they dominate almost everyone they play, but the game is just so slow and there's a serious lack of athleticism that you get with watching a men's game. Just watching the women attempt a throw-in or trying to jump for a header is painful.

Bill Archer repped this.
  6. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don’t watch soccer for the headers and throw ins...

7. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    That's not at all what I was saying, but excellent mental gymnastics there on your part.

8. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've felt the same way about the men's team for quite a while now, too.

Sports, it's so subjective. I would never argue that the women's game is "boring." It all depends on one's point of view.

Honestly, I find MLS to be a pretty boring league, too.

I think women's volleyball is terrifically entertaining. Or both men's and women's swimming. All depends on the sport, for me.

9. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Honestly, last night's display seemed about three steps back. It was rough all around. USWNT players getting away with lazy and poor passes because the opposition just wasn't up to it, etc.

soccerncbus repped this.
  10. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    Yea, it's never fun to watch your team lose. That said, I'm still watching the men's game if it's on at the same time as the women's game. Even when they suck it's a better product, although I get some people simply prefer to watch a winning product. Nothing wrong with that.

It all depends on the game, just like any league. I've watched plenty of snoozers in the Premier League and plenty of wild games in MLS.

Have you ever watched men's volleyball? Holy crap, it's insane. Women's volleyball is definitely entertaining, but the men bump it up a notch.

Men's and women's swimming is a bit different, but I'm still watching the men's 50 free over the women's 50 free if I have to choose. If the competition is purely about how fast can you go, I'm watching the fastest people possible.

11. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    Well, it was a meaningless game, more or less.

12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Well, the non-headers and non-throw-ins were pretty bad, too. Rose Lavelle is a really good player, but it's hard to decide how much of that is due to the craptasticness of the opponent.

Christen Press' goal was the opposite of special. Lloyd's finish was lovely, but never should have happened.

13. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I watch the US Men like I watch any team I intensely care about: with an air of impending doom. If I end the game without my blood pressure raised, it's been a good day. There's not much traditionally "enjoyable" about it.[/Quote]

I would, and do. It's actually quite often dull and even more frequently...frustrating.

Yeah, mostly.

14. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I mean, why support the Crew when you can watch Real Madrid? Your argument for not supporting the women’s team is stupid. Are they not as “physical”? Yes, but there are some incredible techniques being performed by the women’s team that isn’t by the men’s.

15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I'll let you in on a secret: that "incredible technique" is something that anyone who has played in the upper half of any of the NCAA'S three divisions is capable of, and many more rec league players besides.

The difference, as always, is the relative level of the opponent and how much time and space is available. There is A LOT more time and space available in even the highest level women's game. Tricks are neat, but they don't necessarily make for good watching unless you're a tekkers aficionado.

16. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    This has nothing to do with my preference to not watch the women's game.

I almost spit my coffee out while reading this. No, there aren't. The women look more technically gifted largely due to the pitiful teams they play against. They also have so much time on the ball it's insane. This is partially due to them playing inferior competition, but also due to the lack of speed women have compared to men. In the women's game, the defensive team lags further behind the movement of the ball compared to the defensive side in the men's game. This allows a player in the women's game to receive the ball with more time to spare before a defender closes them down than in the men's game. They aren't doing anything from a technical standpoint that the men can't or don't do.

Bill Archer repped this.
  17. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Softball too. It's really terrific fun to watch. Those chicks come off the mound from 43 feet away throwing absolute flame.

Interestingly -and I've never figured out why - watching men's softball could be used as a non-drug soporific in a sleep deprivation clinic. Just unwatchable.

18. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #818 TrueCrew, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    I have an answer, but would probably get banned for it.

In fairness, it was a friendly in sub-optimal conditions. First game for a new head coach, and the style/tactics were tweaked a bit. The Swedes were missing some of their best players, as were we (Pinoe, Morgan, Dunn, O'Hara). It was sloppy at times. And the 'Adventures in Goalkeeping' goal we gave up for the Swede's second was Steve Clark level Keystone Cops type stuff.

But the goals were sublime, especially Lloyd's chip. LaVelle making 30-50 yard runs through midfield with the ball at her feet was electric. Heath is fun to watch with the ball at her feet, even if most of her tricks come to naught. Press in the open field is also fun, unless you are Swedish.

the_rickler repped this.
  19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Don't chicken out now!

If I had a nickel for every time that was brought up for one reason or another on the USMNT context...

The coach doesn't make dangerous passes across the face of their own goal into pressure

More nickels.

Lloyd's finish was class. The defending that led up to it was worse than schoolboy.

You have a strange notion of electricity. When no one can/is willing to challenge you, you can get away with a lot.

I specifically watched Heath. It was shrug worthy. Making bad defenders look awful is not illuminating. Press did nothing different than my leading striker on my DII over-30 team does to 50-year-old center backs, which 23 was seemingly trying to emulate.

Shucks, you have a different view. How will I cope?

20. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll have to go back and see what I want to reply to, but my first comment on last nights game is:

No wonder they had to move Dunn to left back for the World Cup. Sheesh :eek:

21. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I keep hearing/seeing things about how awesome Heath is. Yes she looks like a quality individual player, but she rarely seems like she actually contributes all that much. And I'll be honest, I serve up better corners than she does (or at leat would if I started taking them regularly again)

Rapinoe is/was the same way.

I will agree with you on Press. She and Lavelle actually produce opportunities for the team.

Timon19 repped this.
  22. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought there was some more to reply to in there, but it's mostly a circle about one thing.

Biggest takeaway was... holy cow... that drop off from first to second half when Ertz and Press were taken off was staggering.

I remember when Ertz first came on the scene (as Johnston). What was it, the world cup 5 years ago? She owned the field and destroyed almost every attack from the opponent. She's not that obvious player out there anymore where you notice her owning the game, but you can sure tell when she's there and when she's not. She doesn't get enough credit.

23. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tailgate absolutely started at 2, I was there at 1:15 setting up the tent (Full disclosure: I'm not affiliated with AO Columbus or AO National, I was just helping a friend out). Why does the fact that someone started an event for a night before party lead you to believe that AO Columbus isn't run out of Columbus? Do soccer fans inside a bar look different than college students inside a bar while driving by at 30mph?

I can attest that AO Columbus is 100% locally managed, and has been since its inception. I have no earthly idea why anyone would assume otherwise.

24. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I've always enjoyed watching the women play. As MLS fans, we should be no strangers to adjusting our tastes. I even enjoy good HS, college and youth matches. I have especially enjoyed watching girls/women's sports advance so dramatically since my youth. But soccer offers a high degree of physicality other traditional "girls" sports don't.

I have especially enjoyed the USWNT. In part, because of what they've accomplished in the eyes of women and girls watching around the globe. I'm an advocate for strong women. Our USWNT ladies over the years have been as tough and courageous as they come - but still maintained their feminine strength and grace.

I have defended and cheered for the USWNT for decades. Its hard for me to do either of those now, given the disregard for history and disrespect for the United States flag and anthem. The USWNT used to be something that united us.

I thought I was part of it all. They let me know I am not.

25. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Wait. You're "not a part of it" now because one player didn't want to mindlessly worship a symbol?