reasons why Portugal will win WC 2018

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by ---Z---, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    Is this from the 2002 WC? GOt any more to read about what happened online?

We had such a good team, things must have happened.

2. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    That picture was from 2006. It looks like a scene from Zoolander. There was a lot of hooker banging and wild parties before the games.

3. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    Couto and Xavier weren't playing in 2006 though?

4. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So nobody thinks the connections I posted are strange ?

It's written in the stars ...

5. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Thankfully no.

6. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That was from 2002.

They were in Macao and probably gambled and banged away.

7. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Crap, just realized I messed up the date.

8. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d say we’re 5th favorite: Brazil, Germany, France, Spain, Portugal

9. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    The only team that scares me on that list is Germany. I'm very confident we can beat the others.

10. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I fully agree. I dont see how people can justify France being favourites over Portugal after loosing the Euro 16 final in their country, i think both countries have gotten better (France more so on paper) since then.. and in truth, France is not top quality, you dont tie Luxembourg 0-0 in a meaningful qualifying game and think of yourself as a WC contender.

Germany is the only team i am scared of, though i acknowledge Brasil, Spain and others do pose a threat. Croatia is quickly becoming a dark horse in my mind since their coaching change and change of play.. long ball is gone.. which has benefited them greatly.

11. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think France has gotten better, but *I* don't think they're better than Portugal. I think that's the general consensus.

I'd say Germany and Spain would be the two I'd be nervous of. I think Brasil has a shit defense that can be exploited. France is mentally weak. Everyone else I'd say Portugal is better. Argentina could be good if Sampaoli gets them clicking the way he had Chile going 2014-2016.

12. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nobody is mentioning Portugal as a threat. Flying under the radar again.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  13. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Same old.

We're like the hardest worker in the company that never gets their due.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  14. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I prefer that.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  15. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    It’s mental. We were talking about the World Cup at work this week and I said I guarantee you Portugal will win. Everyone laughed and said no way, I said well I predicted we’d win the euro at 33-1 and I got that right so tell me why we won’t win ?

They couldn’t give any legit reasons, said there are better teams but I reeled off the players and depth we have and said tell me who has a better depth of talent currently than that

16. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    If we do face Germany, then I hope it’s the final where I would strangely feel more optimistic. Hopefully we make it out of the group stage and some good teams don’t make it the bracket.

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    No offense to you or anybody here and I am trying not to troll. I am just stating my opinion as someone who is not Portuguese.
    I beleive a major reason It is difficult for many people to pick them as a real contender is because they did not win any games in their Euro Championship in regulation.
    Teams can't do that in a World Cup against teams that have different styles of game and different tactics.
    I guess you can try to win like Italy did in 2006 but even they had creativity in the midfield with someone like Pirlo and attacking knowhow with the Argentino Mauro Camoranesi. And they also had a lot of bounces go their way. (Not to mention the CB of the year and one of the best Keepers in the world.)

Not to say you can't make a deep run and shut people like me up. Just giving a reason why no one is really taking Portugal seriously.

18. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I appreciate your comments and I know you’re not trolling but.. why does that mean we can’t do the same thing in the World Cup ? It doesn’t matter if there are different styles, the teams who play different styles such as the South Americans will have to adapt to the Russian climate so it won’t be easy for them either. We could realistically do exactly the same as we did in the Euro’s by doing what is necessary to get through. Plus none there won’t be a group of death this year which means we will sail through the groups.. whereas in the euros you could finish 3rd and go through so there was no real pressure to actually win a game

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It would be difficult to do it in a World Cup. It is not impossible. As we saw in the Confederations though which is easier than a World Cup teams like Mexico and Chile gave Portugal some issues. I think teams that can posses the ball and play tiki-taka will pose more issues.
    Again, can your team make a deep run? Yes. But outside of Portugal no one really thinks they can play the way that they did in the Euro and beat the very top teams.

20. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If you are gonna say these things at least know the facts. Portugal did win a game in regulation (2-0 vs Wales semi final) and another fact is all teams knew before hand they would likely be able to qualify in 3rd, therefore the group stage was very watered down and many teams played defensively.

Portugal has attacking midfielders like Bernardo silva and João mario . They also have wingers like Guedes martins quaresma and Nani.

Not sure what Italy 2006 has to do with anything, they were a strong side. What about Spain 2010? Barely won the World Cup but everyone sucks them off.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, one match. You are correct, my bad.

The main point is people outside of Portugal do not see a team that plays defensively and does not focus on possession winning a World Cup.
    Italy was the closest to that type of team but even they had good stretches of possession.

People see Portugal's run closer to Greece than Spain's Euro run that led them to the World Cup. I am not going to that extreme though but I do think the answer is somewhere in between. Portugal has the talent to win and now has the winning mentality after winning the Euro. But winning a World Cup is going to take a lot more than what they showed in France and there's other teams that can defeat Portugal if they play at their best. We just have to wait and see what happens.

22. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal was not a team that sat back and waited for counters. In most matches they had more possession and more shots on target.

There are few similarities between Portugal and Greece 2004, that team really did sit back and rely heavily on set plays.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Do you honestly think that Portugal can have more possession than Spain, Germany, France, Argentina and Brazil in Russia? IF you do then I don't know what else to tell you other than I will wait and see if it happens.

24. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Against Argentina they would

Possession doesn't win games anyways

In the euro 2016 final Portugal
    Had 47 percent possession against France who were on home turf...
    Not a big difference at all.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Argentina prior to Sampaoli maybe. But it is irrelevant.

Possession does not win games but it helps. Look at Germany, Spain, Brazil , France , Argentina on their runs at lifting the Cup in 2014, 2010,2002, 1998, 1986.