Reason's for not upgrading to a premium membership

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Crazy_Yank, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Good posters are being red carded left and right. Huss, instead of acusing people of stealing "your" customers maybe you should ask them why they no longer like bigsoccer. Crazy idea I know :rolleyes:

2. Racism after the US-Mexico world cup match. Anyone who read the Mexico forum after that knows what I'm taking about. Instead of dealing with the situation like mature adults our "moderators" yellow carded Mexican posters who were understandably upset about nothing being done about the situation. When Huss finally rose the "white flag" as he put it, his crew had already driven off 3 excellent posters (rdl, Various Styles, and EvilRick). Even though I disagreed with these guys about a lot of things they always made me think and were fun to debate with. We always kept it civil.

3. Surly attitude of some of the moderators. The place for smack talk is in the rivalry forums. I have no problem with a mod layin' down da smack in those forums. What I don't like (and I've seen several examples of this) is mods flaming and/or attacking other posters. In my opinion the role of a mod is to facilitate discussion. This is the biggest reason I won't pay 30 bucks to use this site.

4. This site is not very easy to navigate. I've been around here long enough to know how, but what about newbies? Is holding the jump forum hostage really worth it?

I'm sure there are many other reasons. Fill free to add any.

2. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huss, you are driving me away. You are driving alot of people away. I'd rather go to a board thats 1) free and 2) not worried if my comments are going to get my in trouble.

3. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    1. We ask people that all the time and constantly make changes based on user requests. These accusations you specifically refer to aren't without hard evidence. Our customers are our most important entity. Period.

2. Agreed! Had I known more about it, I would have done something sooner. I have spoken with VS via email. I have one my best to fix it retroactively. If you recall, immediately after the Mex game, we had a very large announcement on all pages regarding racism not being tolerated.

3. Agreed again. We are constantly trying to improve the actions and behaviour of our mods and to prune the ranks of mods that don't perform well. Several mods are under review, and you may have heard about the Mexico forum recently where a new mod was brought in, several people complained, and the mod was removed. We DO listen.

4. I personally only use the MY function which makes it very easy to navigate. Apart from complaints about ForumJump, we don't get many navigation complaints. And if you recall, the reason FJ was pulled was because of server performance. Given that as the reason, I am sure you can understand why it is only available to premium members.

Thanks for your feedback.

Huss

4. JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest Member

Mar 3, 1999
    1) The BigSoccer boards are free. You're not paying now.

2) if we let all comments go unmoderated, BigSoccer would digress into a complete disaster.

5. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its only a matter of time where these boards aren't going to be free.

6. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Franky, it isn't worth paying 30 bucks a month to talk about football with complete strangers anyway, if you wanna do that go down the pub, you can do the same and get pissed for the same money.

7. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    1. We have no intention of not continuing to offer a free service.

2. It's 30 a year, not a month. And in the US, unfortunately, there aren't many folks at the pub interested in soccer.

8. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    I thought it was a month, I was wondering why it was so popular....Sorry about that.

9. Mike Lane

Mike Lane New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Atlanta
    I like BigSoccer and have put in my 30 bucks. My only (mild) complaint is the loss of the forum jump. Its not that big a deal. In my18 months experience, only one or two folks have left who were really discussing soccer rather than using this forum to vent their personal views. ( I admit I don't know the MLS boards very well).

10. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    ForumJump is of many but small reasons to upgrade.

11. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adding "rolleyes" does not a make a bad point valid.

In the real world of big, grownup people, if you own a business and someone is using the service that you provide to reach out and try to sabotage it, what would YOU do? Send them a Valentine?

A "good poster" is not just someone who posts a lot of crap all day. A 'good poster" ISTM is also someone who doesn't send out mass PM's in an attempt to bring the place down.

Look, you don't want to pay, then don't pay. No one's twisting your arm. The place is still here, it's still free for most, and it will continue to be so.

I, along with a lot of other people, didn't pay because we wanted Forum Jump ("My" works almost as well) or a snazzy avatar.

Rather, I paid because I don't want to be a freeloader. I like to know I'm carrying my own weight. I use this site (a lot) and I felt it was the right thing to do.

If you don't feel that way, fine, that's your business. Then don't pay. What's the big deal?

I've had MORE than my share of dustups with the Poobahs here. I've been carded, warned, reprimanded and deleted more times than I can recall. (And that doesn't even take "Der Ubermodden" into account). They have no love for my white hairy ass around here.

But I respect the fact that this is a business, and accept the fact that the people who OWN it have to make business decisions.

You might try growing up and doing the same.

Fred

Ismitje repped this.
  12. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Reason's for not upgrading to a premium membership

I have never been carded or had any "bust ups" with a mod, yet I'm the when who needs to grow up? *rolling on the floor laughing my ass off* Okay, Fred.

13. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I haven't had any personal problems with the moderators and I'm good friends with one of them but I have to agree with Crazy Yank on this one. I have seen a few moderators post things that would get a regular member a card. Most of them are very good but there is a touch of hypocrisy. It bothers me but I imagine I'll eventually give in and get a membership when I have a decent job.

14. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Reason's for not upgrading to a premium membership

My advice is to contact a Super Moderator or Huss or JonnyQuest. We monitor the moderators as well, but we can't be everywhere.....

GPK

15. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    *snort*

Yeah, that'll work. I'll light a candle for you, eneste old buddy.

Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Who watches the janitors?)

16. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    When I was trying to make a EPL fantasy league and get some Big Soccer users in it It got deleted from the MLS forum. They said I was spamming them?

17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're making a EPL league, i'd suggest a relevant forum like games or EPL.

18. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    Dont you think everyone in that forum would have already done that?

I wanted to start one for the begginers on account of I dont know much. So I figured to get some MLS fans interested in international play.

19. Godot22

Godot22 New Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Waukegan
    Many MLS fans are already interested in international play, and nearly all of them know how to find the games and EPL forums.