Realistic Small Changes

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by rgli13, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, it won’t ever happen because of the corruption of the USSF, but the right people need to become the core of this program and become the leaders we need...

#1 Christian Pulisic
    -This should be Pulisic’s team. Like Donovan in years past, even if he’s the type of personality that wants to work in the shadows. He’s going to have to man up and accept his role as a leader. That means he needs to be bringing his best for every single match. The coach should be hounding him regularly on growing as a leader. Even if he’s hurt, he needs to be a presence on the team. Inspiring the guys to bring their best. If he slacks off in a game, the coach PRIVATELY needs to tear into his ass.

#2 Weston McKennie & #3 Tyler Adams
    -Next to Pulisic, Wes and Tyler need to be the de facto back up captains. They’re there to support Pulisic and help Christian shoulder some of the leadership role. Just like Pulisic, the coach needs to be in their ass regularly and making sure they’re leading this team. For Mr. Can’t ever get healthy, no more free passes. He’s there at every camp, so long as it’s evident he needs to stay at his club. His injured behind can sit right there on the bench and cheer his team on. He needs to be in every huddle and learning how to be a leader outside the game so he will be the leader we need inside the game.

#4 Zack Steffen (&Tim Howard, Kasey Keller)
    -Okay, so he’s not a field player. But I need more from Steffen as far as presence. If I’m the coach, I’m calling up Howard on the first day I’m in charge, and saying, “Tim, I need you to be a role model for Steffen.” Tim might ask, “what do you need from me?” I’d respond, “I need you to teach Zack how to raise his voice. I want to hear some thunder coming from the backline.” I’m sure Tim wants to enjoy his retirement now, and there’s still Kasey Keller and maybe a few others, but I’m communicating to Zack, “no more Mr. Mouse on the back line. This team is counting on you to be the lion in the goal and to bring some fire. I need to feel it.” Never again should there ever be a game where I don’t hear Zack screaming his lungs out at the defense. If he hasn’t lost his voice at the end of each game, he’s not meeting the standard. If Zack responds, “well, coach, I’m just not a yeller.” His practices from then on, for at least 1-2 extra hours, is him doing nothing but yelling commands from the back line. In short, I don’t want Steffen to be all cutesy, playing out of the back, like he’s Manuel Neuer, Ederson, and Jorge Campos love child. But I do want want him keeping the backline’s shape in tact.

#5 Josh Sargent & # 6 Tim Weah
    -Okay, it’s time to anoint Sargent our center striker unless someone else comes along. Some might say, it’s too soon. I’d respond, he’s going to learn today. If I’m the coach, I’m following up with Werder Bremen’s staff, and making sure he’s doing all the right things, day in and day out. For Weah, yeah, he’s hurt. So what? He can hobble his broken behind on the bench and cheer on his teammates. Just like Adams, no free passes on leadership. He needs to be in the huddles, going over tactics, every single opportunity, unless there is an extraordinary circumstance that excuses his absence.

#7 John Brooks & #8 Matt Miazga
    At some point, the coach needs to say, this is my first choice starting center back combo. Ideally, Brooks and Miazga are that pair. And they need to be in the line up or at least in the locker room, injuries be damn, every single opportunity. As center backs, just like Steffen, they need to learn how to be vocal leaders. If I can’t hear them from the TV, they’re too damn quiet. That said, because Brooks and Miazga have a lot of problems with injuries and inconsistencies, the coach needs two extras. This can be Long & Zimmerman. Miles, Alvarado, or Carter-Vickers. Or maybe even a rookie like Chris Richards. But he needs to make a choice and stick with it. Sure, there’s always opportunity for new guys, but it needs to be a lot more consistent, and it needs to also only rely on the guys who are going to be there in 2022, and maybe even 2026. In other words, we have enough talent in this department, that unless it’s an “oh shit” situation that we don’t need to be calling up Tim Ream.

#9 DeAndre Yedlin & #10 Alfredo Morales
    These guys should be part of the core group because they’re older and have more experience, but I do worry that they don’t have the talent to be considered automatically in that first cohort. Nonetheless, for the time being, they’re in. Fredo is in because he brings a wealth of European experience, and we need his aggressiveness in the center of the field. Yedlin should be a leader given his experience, but I worry that he’s got too much of that role player mentality to really adopt that role. In other words, he seems to do better when others are instructing him rather than when he’s barking out orders. Nonetheless, if I’m the coach, I’m working with Yedlin in this department. I’d want to set him up with Cherundolo on how to become the mayor of Newcastle. That’s the type of defender we need him to become in the build up for 2022. I’d be quite honest with him too. I’d say, privately, Reggie Cannon is right on his heels chomping at the bit to get that role. He needs to prove he has the leadership characteristics this team needs. Whereas, I’m working with Cannon to continue his growth, and encourage him to go abroad. More so, I’d give both some minutes at left back.

#11 Sergino Dest*
    -Lastly, Dest. I don’t know what he’s going to do. If he commits to the Netherlands then I would be forced to find the alternatives. But, if he does commit, then he solves a major problem for this team. Like Yedlin and Cannon, I’d work on Dest taking charge of this team.

line-up...

———Weah—Sargent———-
    ————(C)Pulisic—————-
    ———McKennie—Adams——-
    —————Morales—————-
    Dest/Cannon—————-Yedlin
    ———Brooks——Miazga———
    ——————Steffen—————-

largegarlic repped this.
  2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the injuries, other issues to this team, my adjusted XI (no Dest, Brooks, Morales, Adams, Weah)

———-Sargent—-Morris———-
    —————-Pulisic—————-
    ——-Lletget———-Pomykal—
    —————-McKennie————
    A. Robinson——————Yedlin
    ———-Long——-Miazga———
    —————-Steffen—————-

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Creativity needs into the lineup--players who can receive the ball under pressure, shield the ball, and complete positive passes. Players who can possess the ball.

-----------------Sargent-------
    ------Pulisic----McKennie----Morris----
    -----------Bradley------Roldan---
    ---Lovitz-------------------------Yedlin---
    ------------Ream---------Long----------
    -----------------Steffan-------

Roldan and Morris aren't possession types. McKennie at a-mid is just a plunger, a role that's not needed. Bradley struggles when receiving the pass under pressure.

that selection should be converted into
    --------------------Morris------------
    --------Pulisic-------Lleget-------Holmes---
    -------------McKennie-----Parks-----
    ---------------------------------------------------Yedlin---
    -----H'head----Brooks-------Miazga----
    -----------------------Steffen------

4. Dander

Dander Member

Tampa Bay Rowdies
    United States
    Apr 3, 2017
    I've noticed none of these proposed changes are small, and for good reason.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  5. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Hmmm. Maybe the best way to create a four man midfield is to actually field a 4 man midfield in a 442 instead of some silly CB/RB for our best DM.

6. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    If the primary intent of our lineup was to put Christian in position to best impact games, what do you think that looks like both in terms of players and structure?

7. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #57 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Given our personnel and strengths, the flexible 3-4-3 (1-2) that Klinsmann used v Mexico. It gave Pulisic the freedom to find the game left/right/center, protected the center of the park with our 2 aggressive high-work-rate CMs, while deploying speedy WB to chase up and down the touchlines providing offensive and defensive width.

Immediately:

Morris Altidore
    <- Pulisic ->
    Johnson Adams McKennie Chandler/Yedlin
    Ream Brooks Miazga
    Steffen
    Don't underestimate the synergy of 6 of the front 7 having BuLi transition-attack /transition-defense experience!​

Phase in:
    Sargent Morris
    <- Pulisic ->
    A-Rob Adams McKennie Cannon
    M-Rob Brooks Miazga
    Steffen
    Depth:
    Striker: Sargent, Wood, Zardes
    CAM: Green, PP, Hyndman
    CM: Morales, Bedoya, Acosta, Canouse
    WB: Cannon, Yedlin, Lichaj, Rosenberry
    CB: M-Rob, Long, Zimmerman

Namdynamo, Eleven Bravo and DHC1 repped this.
  8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Is pulisic better with a high press defensive concept or mid/low block?

Is he better with a hold up player like Jozy or with two movement players like J(ordan) & J(osh)*?

* Maybe the J&J doesn't work as all three are Js

9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulisic is deadly in transition.and in isolation. Most of his success at BVB came after their aggressive press, turnover, and transition-attack.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe @TheHoustonHoyaFan hit the nail on the head.

which, I also believe is congruent with the rest of the USMNT’s strengths. I want to suck in the opponent and beat them in transition with athleticism and effort. I want them to fear bombarding forward because Pulisic and company will exploit the hole left behind. And once we get the hammer on the nail, we keep driving it in until they break under the pressure.

In short, tight, organized defending with ruthless counterattacking. That requires us to possess speedy players though.

Namdynamo, DHC1 and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  11. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I agree. It’s weird to me that we don’t have a focus on an effective press and disruptive rangy defense as I think that should accentuate the strengths of our two best uninjured players: Pulisic and McKennie. Instead we force a system around Bradley that makes our core players much worse.

I can’t recall the last time we looked good pressing.

12. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly though, I’m torn between the 433, 442, 532 formations.

the 433 benefits mostly Morris, Arriola, Boyd, etc. Yet, in my opinion, it’s best suited for playing direct.

the 442, in my opinion, is better suited for counter attacking, as single striker formation tend to easily get bottled up and without that mechanical leverage from a 2 striker formation, I see us not being able to stretch better teams. Yet, the problem lies that we really have ONE trustworthy forward in Sargent and whole bunch of people I don’t want in that position. Maybe Morris can fill that spot, but he’s lately been better on the wings. Or maybe Pulisic might be the second striker, but he’s never had the strike rate to fill that position either.

lastly, there’s the 532. Which, this allows us to use our center back depth and cover up for the lack of top end talent in this department. Now, the issue here is going back to the striker issue in the 442. Or, do we play actually a 523/541 formation? I might worry that would be too easily run over in the midfield.

Either way, the good news is that any new coach doesn’t have to necessarily commit just yet to the exact style of play at the moment. Whereas, the more important thing to do now is define who are this team’s key players? I would argue it needs to be Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, etc. Rather than forcing Bradley/Trapp or Yuiell into a role that the whole team must adapt to.

13. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rot starts at the top. USSF. Hugo Perez's recent comments were damning. Until that gets fixed, we will underachieve.
    Not a small change.

Berhalter has to adapt. To the pool. To the opponent. He was good at this in MLS. I think he has been so focused teaching the system that players overthink, and we are too predictable.

We also have to adapt. Talent wise, this is the worst USA team since late 80's/1990.

largegarlic repped this.
  14. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I think a 442 diamond is intriguing. It allows us to load up on the central midfield players -- Adams, McKennie, Pulisic as point of the diamond, and let's say Pomykal on the other side? Play the diamond narrow run a box and diamond through the center.

Play Sargent and maybe Morris up top, since they will likely have to provide some width so that we can spread out in attack.

The weakness is our fullbacks aren't great, and we'll really have to force some attacking width. But it'd be tough as hell to get through our midfield, and we'd be able to build up unless the opponent committed as strongly to the midfield, and then hopefull even then our fullbacks could exploit the outside.

I've never been a fan of the wingback formations with our teams because I think we barely have serviceable fullbacks, much less wingbacks.

I think the flat 4-4-2 we play defensively is a problem even with high quality central mids. But then again, we had a solid defense in the Gold Cup, so maybe I am overreacting there.

15. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    i cannot accept the premise. if you show up for canada home with basically the same people, or perhaps even "bolstered" by brooks (but also adams, to be fair), we will likely not get the result. we have to win. we will not win with this midfield. he will then get canned. this includes any of the fiddling around the edges being offered here as small changes. he has to rethink his midfield and perhaps formation as well. this is not a situation where a different coach with the same personnel gets different results. this is, the team is crippled by the very people he picks, how he arranges them, and how he tells them to play. anyone else laying hands on this team would dump about half of it.

result changes here will require selection changes. if he calls his ensemble again let's go ahead and get the "unemployed coach needs help" kickstarter going, before a ball is kicked. we can do no better than a tiebreaker, have to win at home, require a 4 goal switch in the GD to equal GD and win on GF, 5 goal positive difference to take it on GD. canada beat cuba 1-0 in the caymans after 6-0 at home.

more to the point, if this is not the beginning of radical system and personnel changes then this is letting JK stay the coach after losing in Guate. even if we squeeze the needed results and goals from this, we would be fresh meat for the hex.

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    That 3412 was pretty pants against Mexico.

17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'd like to contribute but I'm having trouble with the term "small" in the thread title.

SamsArmySam and yurch10 repped this.
  18. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was as clear as i could be that overhauls in selection, changes in tactics etc werent what i was talking about. but, you know, these things just go where theyre gonna go.

if you have a small (read: possible) change, one aspect of this berhalter team in this us fed youd like to see change, go for it. you wanna ignore the thread title and say fire everybody and hand the keys to bob bradley, whatever. thats what most of the thread is. ce la vie.

in my experience no one here has any problem wandering as far off topic as imaginable, but sorry this ones such a conundrum for you.

DHC1 repped this.
  19. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension
    I understand what all these words mean. Yet this sentence makes no sense. For the Gen Xers in the room is pants good or bad in this context.

20. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    "pretty pants" = mostly awful

21. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Seriously, me as well. "Think small." OK...

1 So Gregg was a central defender. Time to pick a CB pair and get them reps together. We've had lots of trialists. We have injuries. Always do. Fine, but it's decision time. Who is the CB pair going to be? For the injured, you come back and you fight your way back into the first team.

2 Replace Wolff with a #2 who understands the midfield. Small step that could potentially (eventually) have a big impact.

22. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I agree with the first part of this. I think the US players look slow (mentally and physically) in part because they're overthinking and worried about making the right pass/run as dictated by the system. Watching some of these guys play for their clubs, they look like totally different, better players.

Which leads to my disagreement with your 2nd point...I still think this is one of the better groups of players the US has ever had, and that makes it all the more damning for the coaching staff that they look so bad on the field. Now that the UCL is half way through the group stage, it looks like we'll have Pulisic, Adams (when he's fit) and Dest (if he commits) playing in the knockout rounds. Have we ever had 3 yanks playing in the UCL knockout rounds in the same year?

And then we also have Sargent, Brooks, Morales, Steffen, McKennie, and Yedlin all starting or least playing serious minutes in the EPL or Bundesliga. When/if everyone is healthy, we could almost put together a starting 11 made entirely of guys playing in the Bundesliga, EPL, and UCL teams from 2nd-tier Euro leagues. We'd just need another CB and a winger, and maybe Weah is that other winger. Have we ever had that possibility before?

Namdynamo and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  23. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it’s fair to say there needs to be major changes. But I also think it’s fair to pose the question, what would be that first step (or small change) to start the path of getting this team to be successful again.

If I’m asked that question, I would say I need to consolidate and refine the core of the player pool, cultivate leadership, and establish the team’s mission.

Translation?

Although, I love tinkering. I’m all about it. But, I would look at the player pool and decide who is in and who is out. Right now, I’ve got in as GK=Steffen, Horvath, Guzan, DF=Yedlin, Cannon, Dest*/Lima, A-Rob, Brooks, Miazga, Long, Zimmerman, MF=Adams, Morales, McKennie, Lletget, Pomykal, Pulisic, FW=Weah, Sargent, Morris, Arriola, Boyd, and Altidore. That’s my core 23 at the moment.

Granted, I’d have to have some alternates (GK=JesGonz, DF=Lichaj, FabJohn, Hollingshead, Thompson, Alvarado, M-Rob, CCV, MF=Holmes, Yuiell, Trapp, Aaronson, Nagbe, Roldan, FW=Zardes, Baird, Green, Ebobisse). These guys filling in when there are injuries.

And I’d heavily be monitoring my youth prospects (GK=?, DF=Gloster, Lennon, Araujo, Bello, Herrera, Hamalainen, Glad, Palmer-Brown, McKenzie, Richards, MF=Reyna, Llanez, Ledezma, Amaya, Bassett, Mendez, Miljevic, Mihailovic, Ferreira, Parks, Sands, Sonora, Servania, Cappis, Sabbi, Amon, Dotson, Leyva, FW=Toye, Busio, Konrad, Wright, Lewis, Soto). Which, honestly, I’d try to call a few of these guys into each camp.

But, that 23 group is the foundation of my team...

From my 23, the leaders need to be, Christian Pulisic, Tyler Adams, and Wes McKennie. This is ultimately their team. Granted, that can change here or there with injuries, poor performance, and/or the rise of super star. Nonetheless, the expected trio leadership needs to fall on their three shoulders. They need to be the ones wearing the captain armband. And let’s go ahead and break away from the oldies but not goodies, Bradley, Trapp, Ream, etc. Bradley and Ream need to be dropped entirely. And, Trapp needs to be buried on the depth chart, only still in the picture because of all the injuries at CDM.

ultimately, I argue we are a defend, counter, and out work teams kind of team. All this cutesy, play out of the back kind of crap needs to go away. Let’s keep things simple. Be pragmatic. And never let any opponent want it more than us. If we lose, we lose because we simply were outclassed on the field. Never because we didn’t bring the heart or the focus to win the game. It might not be “pretty” soccer. But I miss the days when we didn’t care about pretty, but we did care that we were always considered a hard team to beat.

manq360 repped this.
  24. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have cooled on Donovan lately because of some of the things he has said, but as I recall, he always made the rest of the team better. I know he did not take to the captain's role well, but he was still a leader. He appeared to be unselfish and let other members of team look good. Could Pulisic be in this role? I'm not sure, but we desperately need to pull this team together. Your points are well taken.

25. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Yes.

Go look back at the 2010 World Cup Roster. Every time I see some say this, I point back to that standard.

Everton, West Ham, Milan, Gladbach, Rangers, Bolton, Fulham, Hannover, Frankfurt, (okay, Ricardo Clark was not good, but he was at Frankfurt). Wolves, Villa, Hull, Pachuca, Puebla.

We only had 4 MLS players -- and one of them was Landon.

Right now, we have a lot of potential, but a large portion of the pool has been injured for the last year or is very young and hasn't reached their first team yet.

Of our top flight players, Brooks, Yedlin, Weah, and Adams have all been injured for most of the the past nine months. If you are comparing results to talent, you can't really include them. Even if you count players like Johnson and Chandler ... both of them have been injured for a large portion of time as well.

Even if we select the roster on league entirely, it's not better than 2010.

If you take out the hurt players, you have Pulisic, McKennie, Steffen, Morales, Sargent.

If you add top teams in slightly lesser leagues, it's adding Horvath, Boyd and Dest.

Did I miss someone? Two of those guys literally just secured a spot recently, two just moved to a top flight league and one is benched.

largegarlic repped this.