Real recognize real (or sometimes not!) : the Jesse Lingard thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Nov 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lingard pops up with timely goals here and there. I don't ever see him being a regular starter for United, but he's a great squad man. So long as he doesn't start thinking otherwise I'd keep him.

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lingard confirmed that talks over a new contract are currently ongoing. And that his heart is at the club...

4. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I thought he signed a new one in January.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  5. Professor Brainfart

Dec 23, 2016
    Planet Reality
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    £95,000 a week to be nothing more than useful squad player, it's a hard life !!

6. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Considering the context, Jesse's salary is hardly out of line. Take a look at Wayne's contract.

Consider the life of a MLB baseball player. Let's take Troy Tulowitzki, a shortstop for the Toronto Blue Jays. He has a 10 year contract worth 157 million US dollars. He's apparently going to bring in 20m in 2017 alone. He's a starter, but Bleacher Report ranks him as the 8th best shortstop in MLB.

Point is, salaries for pro athletes in the biggest leagues in the world got crazy a long, long time ago.

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Point is, Lingard wants wage parity with players far superior and more experienced than him.

8. Professor Brainfart

Dec 23, 2016
    Planet Reality
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just reminiscing the good old days when players 'earned' £5 more a week than their mates who worked down the pits, factories etc etc..., and traveled to the match on the bus with the fans.

The game is slowly going to hell on a death-cart if players like Lingard(who i rate higher than most on here)can ask for, and probably get £95,000 a week when he might only play a few minutes once a month... :(

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may well be all true, but this isn't the 70s, or even the 80s for that matter. And with all the money in the game now, between sponsors, global tv deals and whatnot, if players weren't getting their fair share and getting paid, there would've been something seriously wrong as well.
    The hike in salaries for athletes may be something that for us normal people, may be getting completely crazy. Yet it's ironic that the game's popularity (and thus every day people) in a way have been direct contributors to how things are today. It is what it is really and good on those guys who can make such a living, playing a game when it's all said and done...

10. Professor Brainfart

Dec 23, 2016
    Planet Reality
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I blame Jimmy Hill :ROFLMAO:

11. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The issue for the club is giving squad options wages they would not get elsewhere which is problematic when trying to shift them.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  12. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Lingard is English and will generate a decent fee in selling to one of the bottom half clubs. That value won't exist if he is on stupidly high wages.

benni... repped this.
  13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #163 Ashur, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    The way I see it and I'm aware that you, among others do not agree, but it's clear that United have decided that being willing to pay players is partly what is keeping them competitive in the market. Especially, with the club not getting the results they should have on the pitch in recent years.
    You have to take the good and the bad in every situation and the bottom line remains that Lingard is a valuable squad player for United, and we're better off with him staying. If the club is willing to pay, whatever. Not our money after all...

14. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Define stupidly high though. I get your point, but 95k doesn't seem outrageous for the league.

What's the revenue now for any club in the PL??

15. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Stupidly high is the level at which a West Brom or a Newcastle (when they get promoted) won't be keen.

16. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    95k was the deal he allegedly signed in Jan.

He is now looking for parity with the second tier which is significantly more.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Young shouldn't make more money than him. Neither should Jones. I'm not worried by player wages. They should be making more than in the past as the teams are making more. I'm happy for them.

18. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Yet you will be the first to moan when we cannot shift them due to high wages.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #169 Ashur, Mar 26, 2017
    ^^^I never bought that excuse to be honest. Guys like AY, Jones or even Rooney are currently at the club because Jose wants them there for the time being, not because he's stuck with them. And when he'll be ready for them to leave, they'll be gone,simple as. High salary or not, it will be worked out one way or another, as we've seen with plenty of players who have been moved away from the club. Their wages/salaries never was a factor in those decisions...

20. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    You've gone backwards to your old school ways, straight talking out of your ass.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #171 Ashur, Mar 26, 2017
    Yeah? Hope you got a good whiff of what came out of it, then... :whistling:

22. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Let him go, he is already 24 and wont improve much. He does not deserve 100 k, promote other young players and bring Perreira back.

jeff070 and Chaz Striker repped this.
  23. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Those were the days, but those days are long gone. The worldwide "demand" for watching English football is beyond all belief, and prices we pay for TV subscriptions or whatever reflects that demand. When that player earned £5 per week he might have been a butcher by day and a footballer by night, but today it's a full time job. And not just a job. The likes of Jesse Lingard are watched by tens of millions, perhaps hundreds of millions, around the world every week. The player who pulled down £5 per week played he was watched by tens of thousands, who might have paid a couple of pounds to sit at OT to watch the spectacle.

Imagine what it would have been like to watch Sir Stanley or a decade or two before that, Lou Gehrig. Oh my.

24. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm struck by the concern here for what Lingard makes. As club supporters, our only concern should be whether the cost of one (or more) player prevents us bringing in another player that would improve the squad.

If we learned that a 100k week contract constrained our ability to bring in, say, Griezmann, Bakayoko or Laporte then we should all strenuously object. But if it doesn't, why should we give a spit?

At worst, a rich contract for Lingard means less profit for the Glazers. So what?

25. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Our concern is the most efficient use of resources. And yes paying squad players too much stop you bringing in top quality, for case study go check Arsenal their wage structures and their success.
    It is called opportunity cost, lets all pay them 200 k because we can right. More profit means more retained earning which is put back in the club.