Real recognize real (or sometimes not!) : the Jesse Lingard thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Nov 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Putting yesterday's game aside, I believe Lingard has done well during the tour. Still don't expect him to be a regular candidate for the starting XI but he'll do the job when called upon.
    Let's hope he builds on what we've seen so far.

2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's mastered the art of moving around a lot without actually doing anything.

SyedZada repped this.
  3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jesse does this every season. He pops up with a goal and a performance in 1 or 2 cup competitions.

Nothing to see here.

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much to see perhaps, but at this moment, I'd still much rather play him vs Spurs instead of Miki on his current form.
    At least, Lingard may be able to provide something, anything offensively. Not to mention, the way Miki has been losing the all a lot this season, Tottenham would make United pay dearly for that.

6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd still play Miki. He's been shit but his ceiling is miles ahead of Jesse. Jesse at his best is just a little better than an average Miki. I'll take the upside even if he hasn't shown it lately.

7. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    The problem is Mhiki, has never reached his ceiling in a Man Utd shirt. Maybe he never will.

8. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Totally agree, but my point stands. Miki operating at 70% is equal to Lingard at his absolute best. The gulf in quality between the two is huge.

If Mata wasn't so damn slow Id say play him at the 10. At least he has smart movement and can pick out a pass. But his speed absolutely kills our counter attack. That's one place where Miki thrives, even if he only picks out the right pass 1 out of 5 times.

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #259 Ashur, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    To be honest, the discussion is not who's better between Miki and Lingard: I'm confident there is really no argument there. And yes, at his best or under normal circumstances, Miki would be a lock to start.
    I'm however referring to his current form and what he's shown of late, which is absolutely nothing btw. If we were talking about his early season form, where he wouldn't do much for the majority of the game, yet ended up with a goal or an assist, I'd gladly start him as well. But he hasn't even been able to produce that much lately.
    Certainly not claiming that Miki is done as a starter, in favor of Lingard, but until he can regain a hint of form, I don't see the point in starting him. Especially when his mistakes could have a very negative impact on United vs this Spurs team, who will feast on being careless with the ball and kill United on the counter. That's why for this game at least, I'd clearly go for Lingard over Miki.

10. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  11. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    ;)

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome, iconic pic of Belgium's victory vs Argentina in the first group stage of the 82 WC. That pic perfectly encapsulates the Belgian strategy that day: put numbers on Maradona to mark him out of the game. And it worked to perfection, with Vandenberghe nicking the winner for the Red Devils.
    On that pic for Belgium are: Franky Vercauteren, Ludo Coek (RIP), Luc Millecamps, Guy Vandersmissen, Maurits De Schrijver and on the far left, the match winner Erwin Vandenberghe.

United 16 repped this.
  13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Jose found a viable 10 in Lingard?

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-lingard-goal-watford-13969086

As much as I would not mind for it to be so, it's still too early to tell , at least for now. Ability, committment and the capability of having good games are not the issue with Lingard, so much as consistency (or lack of it).
    Given our issues in that position at the moment, it would be great if he were the answer, even in just a short term basis but it's still too early to tell at this point.
    The best solution still may be to play in tactical setups/formations not needing of a 10 (4-3-3 or 3-5-2).

14. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    benni... repped this.
  15. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Six goals and two assists in the last six league games for Jesse.

He's a late bloomer. I've never understood the hate and under-appreciation he gets from a lot of corners. He's a homegrown kid with good technical ability, great work ethic, excellent movement, and an eye for goal.

He's now got more league goals than Rashford and is on par with Martial...despite playing significantly less minutes.

16. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Ill only speak for myself. Ive never been a hater of his, but I do see why some question him.

All the attributes you mention he excels in, there's no question. But I always felt he didnt (still has to show he can maintain this for a long period) put that all together in an a way to make him impact the game over 90 minutes or even 60. He was/is just to inconsistent for a 24 or 25 year old.

At the end of the day. As good as he is doing, he's really at most a squad player for us.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always been a supporter of his, but we better hope that we'll seriously upgrade at his spot sooner, rather than later.
    But his place in the squad is beyond contention in my opinion, as he's a more than solid backup option, in several positions. Players like that are needed, in any team really.
    And, as it's been pointed out, he's a local player, who loves the club and therefore will always give max effort. Welbeck was another just like him and while he was not necessarily regular quality, he had a place in the team. Always felt letting him go was a mistake.

18. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Jessie isnt the answer to our first 11 problems @10 or RWF, however as he showed today he is a great option off the bench because of his energy, movement and finishing.

Solid squad player and great inspiration for the accademy players.

19. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Closing in on 10 goals in all comps (6 Prem, 3 League Cup). There is talk that he was one of the players Jose had branded childish after the Leicester draw. Couldn't have responded better really: trust Jose will have liked that.
    With Zlatan still not looking like himself, Miki's days numbered, Lingard really is not droppable at this time, if we need a 10 in the team, until we move for another.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  23. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    i think we need to perhaps reconsider his ceiling. a journalist on twitter compared him to pedro in his barca days, and i think it's bang on in terms of potential: that 4th forward who can be the first sub in or fill in for rotation/injuries without skipping a beat. his movement is excellent, he's a very willing and diligent defender and he certainly has an eye for goal.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He has to become more fit. He goes down too easily. Also, he looks lost when things are not going his way. That said, he should still be considered part of the squad.

25. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Lingard will win the 2018 Ballon d'or