Real Monarchs: USL Pro affiliate (was San Diego)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Dec 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting discussion on the USL Pro forum (which I mod). LA2 posters claim 10+ MLS roster players were playing in USL this past year. Not sure if that was all at once but that's a ton of potential RSL players playing on Monarchs. I thought I read that only 5 MLS players could be loaned to a affiliate at one time. Thoughts?

2. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's 5 at a time, then they're probably just sending groups of guys for a few games at a time. Send 1-5 for a few games, then a different set of guys when they return. Rinse/repeat for the season. I can see it also being a great way for players to come back from injury and get minutes for fitness. I can see someone like Schuler playing a few games as he's getting fit, without it hampering RSL.

I always forget about the loaning of MLS players. That's another reason to have the stadium where it is. I keeps players closer to home and makes it easier to toss a few MLS guys onto the team for a few games without giving them a lot of extra travel time if it's a home game.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  3. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I recall from one of the early articles about the team they mentioned they wanted to keep the team somewhere in SLC mostly for logistical purposes, keep them close to RSL's offices and staff I guess.

Plus I think they will be supported much better in SLC. Ogden has or had the Outlaws, and BYU's team is already in the PDL.

15 to 32 and SoccerPrime repped this.
  4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Galaxy2 poster pointed out that in one USL Pro game last year 9 of the 11 on the field were either Galaxy MLS roster players or Galaxy academy players. That would be awesome for RSL. The rule thats solid for now is that only 5 academy players can be "loaned" to the USL Pro team at a time, otherwise those academy players forfeit their NCAA college availability.

5. SoccerIsOurLife

Feb 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, this is an excellent idea. I am happy that RSL did this method. I know hiring a renown NCAA coach or getting one of the 1st team assistants can be a good approach, but Juarez has basically been building Stage 1 of this team, now he can keep building them at the sticky Stage 2 before they will be ready for RSL 1st team.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Freddy is a good dude. He came to the RSL academy that first year when they recruited a few of his youth team kids in New Mexico. That first year, he was kind of a surrogate dad for the kids. He counseled them about homework, girls, homesickness, and made sure they did all of their homework. He was a big part of the glue that held the program together that first year. That became even more important as Greg Vanney, Mike Munoz and Martin Vasquez stepped through the revolving door as directors of the academy program. Freddy has been the one constant. I'm happy for him.

rslfanboy, Taragui, 15 to 32 and 2 others repped this.
  9. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Todorojo and Allez RSL repped this.
  10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [sarcasm] If only DLH would have used that money to keep Garth and Jason [sarcasm]

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No amount of money, short of obscene, would have kept either guy. They had aspirations that RSL could never help them fulfill. Look at the clubs they went to.

FC-Sky11 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  12. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [whine]But DLH isn't willing to open up his pocket book and spend on the club! He's running it into the ground![/whine]

FC-Sky11, 15 to 32 and goobx1 repped this.
  13. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I see a hierarchical shitshow and a bloated organization where the newcomer's input will be the last considered, respectively.

FC-Sky11, BalanceUT and Todorojo repped this.
  14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course. But apparently both think they can be bigger voice in that bigger pond.

Allez RSL repped this.
  15. FC-Sky11

FC-Sky11 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but at least Jason got to go watch Man City train... and he can pick up to 3 players from the man city squad.

ShaggyReAL repped this.
  16. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Of course, he has no control over when they actually show up to play.

17. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #542 pate, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    Pl@ymaker, Allez RSL and SoccerPrime repped this.
  18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With RSL academy graduates Etiandro Tavares and Ricardo Velazco both involved in Real Salt Lake's preseason camp, and with Real Monarchs in need of a roster, further ex-academy signings are to be expected in the coming weeks.

What do we know about Tavares and Velazco?

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Velazco looks like a pretty good player. He's a midfielder with Louisville for a couple of years and played for Tucson FC of the PDL.

long video here:

Pl@ymaker, SoccerPrime and Allez RSL repped this.
  20. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are warm bodies. After all "...with Real Monarchs in need of a roster..." that sounds like a warm bodies call up.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a believer, right?

Pl@ymaker and BalanceUT repped this.
  22. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I just skimmed over the Monarchs schedule and I didn't see any double-headers with RSL. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I would think they'd try to do at least one. I'm not buying Monarchs season tix but I'll try to make it out to a game or two.