Real Monarchs: USL Pro affiliate (was San Diego)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Dec 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure that's a real monarch? It could be a fake one.

2. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe I am in the minority here, but do people really think of butterflies when they hear that name? I'll can hear is an echo. The royal royals!

4. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the mascot will be León the lion?

burninator, Ivensor and Taragui repped this.
  5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats exactly what people think and will think. Don't delude yourself thinking otherwise.

Anyways, SJ, yeah, we need to win this one.

6. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I think the monarchs with a butterfly with a crown for a crest or logo might be pretty interesting for a USL team. Why not have a little fun with it. It's USL for crying out loud.

Really though the Monarchs should be the RSL womens team name. That would be very cool. You could sell a lot of butterfly soccer stuff to the tons of young girls, women and ladies that make up a large portion of RSL's fan base.

Just a thought.

BalanceUT and GoRSL repped this.
  7. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, we just gifted the opposing team a TIFO that writes itself with the Monarch's name. We'll be called the Butterflys or the Mariposas (which has another meaning all together). We should have just named the team the Prancers (and yes, it's been done before) or the Dandies and be done with it.

Ismitje repped this.
  8. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Not something like this?

Ismitje repped this.
  9. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Ha - just what I was thinking myself. And voila - what did I find? ;)

[​IMG]
    Danaus Realsaltlakus

scootsy, 15 to 32, Lizzie Bee and 4 others repped this.
  10. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe because we've all given up on anything worthwhile happening this year, and the Monarchs are the most exciting thing around these parts... Maybe, that's just me.

BalanceUT repped this.
  11. WasatchDuck

WasatchDuck Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Downtown
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Apparently they will be taking deposits for season tickets in the next couple weeks.

12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having they announced pricing? With it being at the RioT in 2015, I'm hopeful first team season ticket holders can get first right on their current tickets...

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    So, out of curiosity, who is the target market here? Existing season ticket holders who will buy season tickets for both teams? Fans of RSL who can't afford season tickets, but may pull the trigger for lower priced tickets? New fans that like a different level of competition or style of play?

Just wondering what the approach may be, because I'm afraid I don't have the time for both, so Monarchs will probably only be a team of curiosity that I will check out on occasion to see how future RSL players are coming along, not following daily.

15. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Option 2 would be my guess. Ideally options 1 and 3 would be great, but going after fans that can't afford to do RSL all the time would be the best to go after.

I think a smart thing for DLH to do, would be to give Monarch STH's discounts on RSL tickets. Maybe only for certain sections, but I think getting people in the door to RSL is likely the end goal for DLH. Get people hooked on the lesser team, with incentives along the way to make the jump to RSL proper.

I'd like to see the flip side of that as well: give RSL STH's discounts to go see the Monarchs. While not everyone will jump at it, I would think it would certainly help the fan numbers.

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My brother and I are going to buy a pair of Monarch season tickets that we can give to players of the teams we coach. With how the Monarch tickets are priced, I think you see a lot of people buy season tickets but then not actually show up to all 14 home games.

17. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can certainly see more families going. You can get 4 season tickets for about $60 more than the lower RSL tickets. (not counting the south end)

18. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I have zero interest in this team. If someone is making noise, I may attend a game to see them, but other than that I don't have the time or interest to follow a USL team. Even if it's in my backyard. The light coverage they will receive in the paper will be enough for me.

Would be cool if sometime in the future RSL and RM were somehow in the same league... Wouldn't want to miss that derby.

19. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Would not be surprised if Monarch tickets replace the trade-in games for unused season tickets. I guess I'm assuming the seasons overlap sufficiently.

RoyalNonesuch and 15 to 32 repped this.
  20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hope that you could still have one or two RSL games as exchange, but that is a brilliant idea. Especially while the team plays at the RioT. I'm curious how they'll handle the overlap. Will there be double headers, ever? Do the Monarchs care about Sunday play?

21. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Double headers would be awesome, that's what she said aside.

I would definitely take the opportunity for two games on a sunny summer Saturday.

15 to 32 repped this.
  22. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might be interested depending on when the earlier game is. If it's at like noon-2pm no thanks.

23. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still scratching my head as to why this team is located in Salt Lake? Why compete with what is already working with RSL? I would have thought a location in Ogden, Prove, or St. George would have made more sense.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they sold RTS really well for a few reserve games already and getting involved with FairPark was a sweet deal.

Ismitje, Allez RSL and 15 to 32 repped this.
  25. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Provo or St. George would've been that great. There's absolutely no chance I'd go to a game if they were there. Ogden I'd do a lot just because I'd be nearby, but I think even that would be a stretch to get good support even though the population is good.

I think the fairpark works pretty great because it's easy to get to via frontrunner/trax. You just wouldn't get that in many other cities.