Real Madrid vs Athletic Bilbao | La Liga - Matchday 20 | 01.22.12 [R]

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by mymy33, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    If he'd have known what would happen then he might have made an attempt to go for the far post straight away. But if he goes to the far post immediately, he leaves Ramos 2v1 in the centre of the box. He cannot do it, we would lambast him if he did. It's like saying Iker should have saved the shot if he knew where Llorente was going to kick it beforehand.

This is a screenshot of the moment Varane passes Llorente off to Arbeloa. If Varane moves to the far post, this is what happens (red is ball movement, blue is player movement):

[​IMG]

In that position he must cover the central zone.

2. kubikula

kubikula Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Brno
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    As Umar shows, Varane had to cover the central zone. Even if he was responsible for marking Llorente, in this very situation, the blame must be put on Arbeloa/Granero. Sometimes it's necesarry to change the marking.

You don't know this because you've never been a professional player.

3. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Ramos, is that you? :D

4. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    After this match, who will Mourinho put at RB against Barcelona? Arbeloa did much worse than Altintop, but it might have been just a bad day.

5. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Another one in a short period of time. I know he had the injury and all but with the way he's playing, I don't have much confidence in him right now. Lass would be my first choice right back.

6. halamadrid00

halamadrid00 Red Card

Aug 2, 2007
    UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Me too. I would play

Lass........Ramos........Pepe........Marcelo

..............Xabi..........Fabio

Callejon............Ozil..............Ronaldo

...................Benzema

Fabio and Marcelo switching positions with Marcelo going forward for more creativity and Fabio providing cover on the flank v Alves/Messi/Sanchez.

7. flash_r7

flash_r7 Member

Nov 1, 2008
    What is it that you guys see in Callejon? I mean sure he is finishing his chances fairly well but in terms of creativity and passing the ball, he does not seem like a good choice against Barca. I would much rather sacrifice his services for someone like Sahin.

8. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't see Mourinho starting "barely two" DMs in Xabi and Fabio.

9. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    He is deadly in behind a fullback. He can interchange with the attackers fairly easily too. Weve seen he can finish. And he loves the club, which is an intangible bonus.

He doesnt have the dribble of Di Maria, but his movement reminds me of Higuain.

10. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I'd go with Arbeloa again. I'm not sure any of our RBs can be expected to do a much better job in the role Arbeloa was played. I highly doubt that Mourinho would go with Ozil and Kaka again vs. Barca, and if he does, I'm sure he'll start with 2 DMs in that scenario, with one (likely being Lass due to his physical ability) clearly instructed to cover the right flank when Arbeloa is strolling upward.

As I side earlier in the thread, his performance was a direct result of the formation and role he was expected to play, so I was a bit surprised at the lineup Mourinho put out there (especially with the inclusion of Granero instead of Lass). I'm not sure what instructions the CMs had or if Mourinho just did not think that we will be r@ped this bad.

11. halamadrid00

halamadrid00 Red Card

Aug 2, 2007
    UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Because he is a madridista through and through and hates the ********ing Cules. Not to mention that he is a very good player. Plus Di Maria is not fit and i doubt Mou will risk him when the CL is just around the corner.

12. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I found it weird that Arbeloa was usually positioned in Athletic's half, waiting for them to come, while Marcelo was closer to Madrid's CBs, in his own half.
    The opposite would make more sense.

13. flash_r7

flash_r7 Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Ok, I am aware that he has good movement and runs. But, we have tried to play Barca on the counter more than once and it has failed. I think we should try and hold the ball this game, and don't you think an extra midfielder is the better option? And sorry but Pepe does not count.

14. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I would say "finishing fairly well" is a huge understatement. The guy gets no more than one or two chances everytime he plays and he has been scoring.
    Imagine if Cristiano Ronaldo had that precision.

15. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think the counter attack approach must be given a chance with Kaka starting. He really shines in such system.
    Look at the brazilian NT under Dunga. We had Kaka, Robinho and Luis Fabiano counter attacking and winning games very effectively.
    Zonal Marking has many articles on that team focusing on this aspect, if anyone is interested.

16. halamadrid00

halamadrid00 Red Card

Aug 2, 2007
    UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Name the players who can hold the ball? Apart from Xabi obviously.

17. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Yes and no. Marcelo is much better at running with the ball at his feet and loves to take on defenders, so he prefers to start from behind his own half and run at the opposition, where as Arbeloa is not nearly as talented offensively and has to rely on his positioning and making himself open to receive the ball.

18. flash_r7

flash_r7 Member

Nov 1, 2008
    A midfield of 4 with something like Lass(for defense), Alonso, Sahin and Ozil is what I want to see.

19. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We're not a club comfortable with counter attacking. Since Spain won the Euro and the World Cup, if it doesn't have 70% of the ball, it's crap football.

Ironically, back when Sevilla was considered the greatest thing ever, it was perfectly fine to play counter attacking football.

20. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010

Xabi sucks at holding the ball nowdays. I would say Granero. Obviously Sahin wont get any chance, so i would start Granero + Xabi and Lass/Khedira; forward three: Callejon, Benzema, Higuain. I would save Cronaldo and Ozil, Di Maria? for second half. We would get OK midfield + truckload of stamina.

A win in Camp Nou......it would be sweet...

21. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    He has had a rough start to the new year and all of a sudden Xabi sucks at holding the ball?

Knee jerk after knee jerk.

Can't wait to get on a winning run and players get form again so all this nonsense stops.

22. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    The way Mou pulled last week's lineup out of thin air I wouldn't put it past him to start the Turk :p

Last year we had one of our best showings against them in the return leg of the CL tie at the Camp Nou. We're better than we were last season and this time we have a goal in our back pocket as well, after the events of this week everybody should be ready to prove a point as well, a middle finger to the haters of sorts while last season you got the feeling we were just feeling sorry for ourselves. I always have faith and belief in this team so I'm excited for Wednesday, maybe it's the day we put it all together and get it done.

23. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah, I just wish we can go there and play like we have a chance of qualifying (although a tough job, but pulling off a 2-0 is hardly impossible with our team). The way we have been speaking in PCs makes me feel we already know that its impossible to happen..

24. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Well considering they've some how sold players and fired our manager in the past two weeks, it isn't that shocking people aren't optimistic.

25. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    He's played down our chances in every Clasico since he's been there though, starting with his "it might be too soon" theme before the bastard Cules mollywhopped us 5-0 in the Camp Nou last season.