Real close on another attacking player

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by RobbHeineman, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I have to say that thank goodness for this thread. The one thing I kept thinking when it came to the Wizards was 'when are we going to have another cliffhanger to wait out?'

Seriously, the Kansas City Wizards are the professional sports equivalent of LOST. All this "wait and see" stuff is starting to drive me insane. Stadium renderings, possible name change, an apparent crest change, the supposed STH scarf, and now an attacking player. I'm glad we're making moves to improve the team, and everything, but personally, I'd just prefer to have at least one question answered before you give me another one to stew about.

Sorry for the rant, I'm going to go read a Vonnegut novel now...then I at least know the questions will be answered when I reach the end of the book:D.

2. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rep...crap I am out. Can someone cover him please?

3. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The name change and the crest arent something the team has lingered in front of anyone. That is all fan speculation. I dont think anyone from OnGoal or the front office has ever said that may or could happen.

They have said time and time again that the stadium renderings will be released when it is final which I think that is a smart move. Why would anyone want to see something that might be changed 50 times before it is finalized? I am honestly not that worried about seeing them and dont want to see it until it is the finished product.

The scarf is no big deal. I will see it when I get it. It's a free perk and I will take it regardless of how it looks.

With the big name player, they could of not said anything and just surprised us all at once but Rob was nice enough to let us know that they are negotiating for someone.

4. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew that there would be people on both sides.

First, I know that the name and crest are speculation...although, I believe that someone said something was coming with the crest at the stadium opening...but I believe that not changing our really uber lame crest would be a major mistake. If they're waiting for the HR opening, fine. Name change would be a mistake though...that's a debate that I've already shared my opinion on too many times.

Release the renderings. Honestly, who cares if they're the "final, perfect, never going to change" renderings? I sure don't. Why not, instead of asking if we'd like a roof, show us the possibilities? Then let us have battle-to-the-death debates over what should be changed, if anything...you know it's going to happen when they're released anyways. Anyone see the initial renderings of Arrowhead? Quite a few changes took place afterwards...and nobody died.:) Same goes for nearly every stadium in the history of stadiums. I say this as a stadium design junkee.

You're right, scarf isn't a big deal...just another thing to add to the "wait and see" pile. I've stated before that I just want something - anything - to be revealed.

The player didn't have to be mentioned until signed...especially more than 24 hours before the signing. It just taunts us. Again, I'm excited, and happy for this potential signing, I just think that the announcing of a player being close to signing was not fully thought out. It's not fair to those of us that are already on the edge of our seats, to try and put us more on edge. Eventually we're going to fall off the seat and just get too frustrated to care.

Same goes for you Pioli, name a freaking coach and be done with it.:rolleyes:

5. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But imagine the outcry if they release a stadium which has all four stands roofed and... I don't know... a cool balcony thing that everyone gets excited about. And then they scrap both b/c of costs. Then you'd have people on here chanting "Don't show us something unless it's something you're going to give us". They can't win.. which is fine - as long as you realize that they lose either way. You may not be happy with what they're doing with the stadium renderings but you can't say you don't understand why they're doing it this way. Esp. when you have people like Yael Abouhalkah at the Star who would probably try to get them burned at the stake if they released a stadium of gold and only supplied one in sterling silver.

They revealed that they were close to signing a player.. if I remember correctly people were actually calling for the team to indicate if they were trying to make any moves in terms of new players.

If there are Visa issues then they probably don't necessarily know when '24 hours before signing' will be. It's on their time frame anymore.

It seems like you'd rather not hear about the fact that they're building a stadium until they feel comfortable releasing the renderings, or advertise a free scarf until they were ready to give it out.

6. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If the team were to come out and say they were going to be changing the name and crest, it would ruin merchandise sales. I know I wouldnt but as much gear if I knew everything was up for change. From a business perspective, they need to keep that silent until that time comes, if it comes.

The Wizards have a great opportunity to gain some media coverage when the renderings are released. They can hold a press conference and all that fun stuff. But, if the renderings are just some rough draft, you cant really do that. You can, but it would make the team look foolish IMO.

I honestly like that Rob comes on here and gives us tidbits even if it isnt a lot of information. He really cant say much until the time comes but it is nice to know something is going on. I think we can all handle the anticipation or atleast I hope so. ;)

Have they even interviewed anyone yet?

7. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if may me speak out of turn, i believe the crux of maniac's post was more about the cumulative effect of all the "hang on, almost there, soon, etc" things going on right now with this club than any one thing.

8. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I won't be happy until I see a stadium rendering draped in a scarf with Kaka on the centre circle in Wizards blue ... have at it Sabotage ;)

9. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nobody asked you. ;)

10. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there are Visa issues then it's entirely possible that this guy won't join the team until the Wizards go to Guadalajara. That is Feb. 19th. So, if he's not with the team by then, I am sure someone will report who he is.

11. tKCyclone

tKCyclone Member

May 2, 2007
    Johnston, Iowa, USA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo.

I'm fine with each delay, individually. When there's tons of things that have an effect on the club that are a mystery, it just gets frustrating.

I guess I'm just a little impatient today, and LOST probably has something to do with it.:D

12. KC Wizzle

KC Wizzle Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If not for the visa element, I'd be wondering if we weren't in the works for Christian Gomez. Things have gone awfully quiet on that front.

13. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is exactly why I am waiting to watch Lost on DVD when the series concludes and I never have to wait for the next episode to air.

I use to be very inpatient, however, having kids has changed that. They seem to make those that are impatient become patient.

14. wadejackson1

wadejackson1 Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Can you say "Preki"?

15. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I am quivering in anticipation.

16. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO

Who said anything about a "big name" player? For all we know this could be a sixth forward.

absolutely no detail of who we are trying to sign other than 1) south american 2) attacking 3) doesn't have a visa yet. That is all we know.

How could anyone be excited. Ooooo we are trying to sign someone. We should always be trying to sign someone.

17. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I can has Riquelme now?

18. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No one said big name player, that was my mistake.

How can anyone get excited? Well, it is a new player and for all we know he could be the next star so for some reason that is enough to get excited about. I dont think there is anything wrong with that.

19. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF is that! Tony is that you? ;)

20. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's "LOL Cat"....where have you been?

21. KCOiPunk

KCOiPunk New Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Leahood
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two Words: Eddie Johnson

22. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some mod needs to red card this joker, STAT.

23. KCBearcat

KCBearcat New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we brought him back, which we won't, I would tear up my press credential and go watch ping pong all day... :rolleyes:

24. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    "I thought it was just part of my training, honest!"

25. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL! Are u kidding me? He has way to many splinters in his butt from riding all that reserve team pine in Cardiff to even stand up let alone run for 90 minutes.

Welcome to the boards, I hope your second post is much better.