Ready for China 2003? (USSF article)

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FearM9, Nov 15, 2002.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    For your reading pleasure:

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=24297

--------------------------

Article on Bri:
    http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=24308

Article on Wagner:
    http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=24310

2. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    :rolleyes:

You tellin me that when Mia scored there wasn't a big collective sigh of relief across the US?

3. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida
    Re: Re: Ready for China 2003? (USSF article)

troll! :p

4. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    Re: Re: Re: Ready for China 2003? (USSF article)

NO WAY! It was a ligit question!!! :D

5. SunnyJah

SunnyJah New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    depends on the season
    My biggest complaint????

"Forward: Mia Hamm, Tiffeny Milbrett, Cindy Parlow, Shannon MacMillan, Heather O'Reilly. Nothing else really needs to be said. That's it. End of story."

Heather O'Reilly once again getting a symbolic nod over Abby Wambach. For the love of Pete! They even mentioned HEATHER MITTS and HOPE SOLO. And I don't think that that is the end of the story. Forwards need to do more than score goals USSF...

::grumble::

6. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    The following was brought to you by a Freedom fan :D :p

And Solo is a finalist for the M.A.C./Hermann, even if Washington didn't make the round of 64...

Paul

7. SunnyJah

SunnyJah New Member

Oct 29, 2001
    depends on the season
    Yes this is true. I am a Freedom fan.

However, I am also a USWNT fan and will root for whomever is on the turf--- but... Heather Mitts (who yes, Charge! I know is a damn good player) and Hope Solo (who I'd love to see play more) have not had an impact with the Nats in the last couple of as Abby has. That's all I'm saying. I understand that at forward, we're stacked but whatever, I still think that the impact Abby has had deserves some recognition.

And though, yes, it's true I am partial to Abby over other players it doesn't mean that I am blinded by my club affiliation so much, as to not see the big picture of the WNT.

8. tigercub

tigercub New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    I don't get the Hope Solo thing (other than she has a great name.) I was wondering about a favorite player of mine; Shannon Mac. She sat in the Gold Cup final. To me it means she isn't needed. Will she be on the World Cup team?

9. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    I don't understand what else should shannon prove in onder to be locked in starting line up, she scores lots of goals, she beats defender on one on one situation all the time, she produced beautiful assists, she phisicaly and mentally fits for any games, she is a powerful and sharp shooter and on target most of the time, this player is not bench material.

10. Mr.Soccer

Mr.Soccer New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Maui
    Shannon should be on the field instead of Cindy Parlow. We need players that can score without relying on others to feed them cherries. If you notice that all of the players in the final game of the Gold Cup are independent scorers.
    Millie, Hooper and Mia. They create their own opportunities. Shannon does too.

11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The single biggest problem the US has is that it takes too many shots to get just ONE goal.

We control the game.
    We possess the ball.
    We get TONS of chances.
    We out shoot even good teams usually 4 or 5 to one.
    But we score on far too few of our shots.

I doubt that there was ANY team in the Gold Cup with a poorer shot to goal ratio.

We NEED a Charmain(sp) Hooper type on the US team.

A player that can, when needed, get only one or two chances in a game and score from that limited service.

Is Mia Hamm that player, NO!
    Is Tiffeny Milbrett that player NO!
    Is Shannon MacMillan that player NO!
    These are all GREAT players but they must have LOTS of touches and/or good service to get goals.

Is Cindy Parlow or Abby Wambach that player, Maybe but neither has shown the scoring flair to do it alone if needed.

On the whole current US team the only player that shows that flair is ????????. There is no one I can think of and I see no one filling that roll. (Akers WAS that kind of player!)

We have, in the past, gotten away without the pure forward but that is no longer the case. Now, if an average team (Canada) can play good defense and limit our chances they have a good chance of forcing the US into a late goal to win or even stealing a win from the US late.

I put the blame for this on the shoulders of the US coaching development system where we sacrifice winning soccer for pretty soccer. Coaches in the youth system are chastised for "direct" soccer even when it wins and rewarded for "possession" even when it looses and that is the way April and the other national coaches work as well.

We have tried to copy Brazil but we have left the finishing out of the equation. It is all possession just for the sake of possession.

So I do NOT believe we are ready for China. We NEED a forward and the curent crop for forward are just NOT that forward.

I think that Fotop just might play herself through the WUSA into that forward IF the Ape will let her.

12. UP90

UP90 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Georgia
    Part of USA'a goal scoring problem is because of the formation they play a lot of the time. IMO a 4-4-2 formation is a compromise. playing not to lose instead of playing to aggressively beat the crap out of your opponent. Three forwards in the lineup says you're playing to win. And I agree that Parlow is a cherry picker. She's not versatile enough and too much of the time she's not doing much of anything. Maybe it would also help if April got an assistant who can shape up our defense. I'm sick of all the mixing and matching in the back.

13. Mr.Soccer

Mr.Soccer New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Maui
    I also think April needs to shake it up with some of the veterans (no everybody) by making them tow the line in both games and practices. No one should have a pass but it appears some of the veterans do. If they have a bad camp, cut them.
    If they don't show any hustle or desire, cut them.
    I think Abby was a product of April doing just that.
    When she was taken out of a game recently, you could see her distain for being replaced. It probably made April mad enough to omit her from the Gold Cup Team. Well, April should do more of that with her veterans too. You just can't have them make the team by showing up. And finally, April has to get beyond the fact that some are her longtime friends and teammates. You have to be the coach first and their friends second.

14. charcroson

charcroson New Member

Nov 22, 2000
    Who, in your opinion, is making the team by "just showing up"?

15. Jo

Jo New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Kansas
    I'm wondering, too, which veterans you think are having bad camps or are not showing hustle or desire.

16. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Sobrero and Fawcett, to name 2 - the back line needs to be overhauled, IMO. Slaton has to be in there - she's the defensive player of the year in da WOOSA. You add to it any combination of the league's best team defense - Benson, Iverson, Mitts and Tietjen. If folks continue to suggest Moore isn't all that, and she's the career leader in WUSA goals against because of her defense, then surely you would want such a stellar defense as you try to hang onto the Cup, no?

Or at least have a couple of them to come off the bench. Otherwise you play russian roulette with your ability to stop a Pichon, a Jones, a Meinert or whomever Norway or China throw at you.

Paul

17. Mr.Soccer

Mr.Soccer New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Maui
    Well let's open the can of worms! Parlow and Foudy to start. I know that is not politically correct to point the finger at the Captain but you will see once the real games begin. They will be exposed. There are a couple more on the border and I will reserve my opinions as we get into the World Cup. No free rides here! Tell it like it is.

18. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida
    Where do yo get off saying that? I've never seen Julie do anything but work her ass off!

19. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    I fear that her personality might actually be too strong. The San Diego Spirit, suck ass partly because of her over bearing personality, IMHO. Unlike the national team, the spirit doesn't have the talent to make up for it.

She reminds me of Harkes during the Sampson years for the Men. He had a strong personality and was popular with the team, but ulimately drove the team apart. Foudy may just be doing that same thing to the US team right now.

20. buff415

buff415 New Member

Nov 28, 1999
    As much as I like to second guess April, I don't think any of her criteria to make the national team is "just showing up". Interesting speculations though...

21. UP90

UP90 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Georgia
    Agreed, Sobrero hasn't made a strong bid to be a starter. I remember when she first came along she was a real bulldog back there, but she seems to have lost some of that aggressiveness. But I really don't see evidence of the old school vets not hustling. Foudy has a lot of other things on her plate besides soccer these days and maybe that has become a distraction but I don't see a lack of heart.

22. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    From today's USA Today:

Cup gold no sure thing for U.S. women
    By Michelle Akers, special for USA

Sounds like they are going to be overseas alot in the first quarter of 2003. I wonder what is going on in China and "somewhere"? Four Nations Tourney in China assume? Maybe a game or two somewhere in Europe? Australia maybe?

23. charcroson

charcroson New Member

Nov 22, 2000
    From everything I've heard, Joy is doing a great job. And Slaton is hurt -- in fact, I understand she needs surgery.