Re-entry Draft--Bobby Convey

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by tomásbernal, Nov 24, 2011.

1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/11/24/san-jose-make-it-official-convey-will-not-return-12

Here's an interesting article about the Quakes not picking up Bobby Convey's option year. He will be available in the Re-entry Draft next month--,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_MLS_Re-Entry_Draft. We will get the 7th pick I believe, if we want it. He's a fantastic left winger/left back, but he apparently really doesn't like to play back. Still, with the potential for Nagbe to move to forward next season we could really use more good options at the wings, and Bobby Convey fits that quite well. He's 28 years old and has 12 years of first-team professional experience. He made 336,000/year for 2011, and my understanding is that since his option wasn't picked up we would have to pay him whatever his 2012 option year salary was supposed to be. I think he would be a great compliment to our current squad. Is 336,000 too much to pay for a player of his quality? What do you all think?

2. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too expensive to add to the roster at the moment. Which means that other pieces would have to be dropped in order to accommodate Convey.

3. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe if you are able to get him in stage two of the draft you can renegotiate a new contract. If I am not mistaken the guys that went in the 2 stage last year took an average pay cut of about 25%

4. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However, he'd still be making almost as much as Cooper with a 25% cut. That would make Cooper, Perkins, Chara and Convey all above 200k. That's a good roster chunk in just those four.

5. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. The salary cap was at 2.5M this year I believe. I haven't seen word of it going up again next year, but I'd think it might get a small bump again, maybe to 2.8. If that were the case then maybe we could splurge on Convey--but maybe you're right and we could get better all around than in just that one position. However, I do think that Convey is a very good player and in his prime and would be worth it, especially given our playing style. Also, Spencer has indicated that he's pleased with what he's got, and is planning on adding one or two players in the offseason. If he finds some gems like Chara and Alhassan then we're in good shape. But, I still think that having that extra depth on the wings would allow us a lot of flexibility tactically from game to game.

6. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are in definite need to sign a winger or two for depth. Remember, Zizzo has an ACL recovery to go through.