PBP: RCD Espanyol v FC Barcelona | J19 - La Liga 19/20 | 4 January 2020 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Jan 3, 2020.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If there is one player whose job is not to defend it's Suarez who is a striker. Yet he still does hustle. Not as much as before, but still somewhat. It shouldn't be the his job to drop all the way back when the team is down a player.

With 10 mins to go a goal up and a man down you can't be thinking about conserving energy. That's why Griezmann should have stayed on and Messi gone off. I am not even blaming it on Valverde because no other coach would have subbed him out either. Of course with 11v11 you don't take Messi off.

BTW to the Suarez haters ... yes he makes a lot of bad touches, but has been directly involved in the last 10 League goals. Messi actually had a bad game with basically 1 impactful play that has the power of an alarm for a member in this forum. He lost a lot of possessions.

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Tell me how many CLs has he won. Last I checked he choked he missed a PK and a crucial easy header vs Madrid when Bayern played them that could have knocked them off.

3. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

What does that have to do with anything that he hasn't won any CL? Looking for a pointless debate why Rakitic was rightly picked to start?

Go sleep on it. This worthless coach who throws De Jong under the bus just deserves one thing and that's being fired. It's not the first time he blames players. It is what it is!

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I thought you weren't happy last 2 seasons we won La Liga but crashed out of the CL. One assumes that's the only thing that counts. Just don't go calling Vidal a "winner" ... he choked big at Bayern. If that's some other players you'd point that out. Last I checked Rakitic has a goal in CL final. Stop calling players winners and losers because you just look stupid.

Saying the red card influenced the result and you and other people are acting like he is crucifying the player ... :rolleyes:

Valverde is no good and deserves to be gone, but stop blowing everything out of proportion.

unclesox and evil_allan repped this.
  5. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Vidal has more winning mentality than Rakitic ATM that's what I meant. He's a fighter, much more than Rakitic. Rakitic walks about at his full speed. I don't care that Rakitic has a CL goal. Pogba and Mbappe have WC final goals and wins, does that make them better player than Messi? Huh?

6. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    I love Messi, but he had an abysmal game yesterday.

But more importantly, as a team, it seems like we are sleep walking in games for long periods - like Leon pointed out.

That is on the coach.

7. Nocturnal Animal

Nocturnal Animal New Member

Nov 6, 2019
    No need to overanalyse. They got lucky with 1 set piece goal in a period where they literally had 10 % possession and then they got lucky again with De Jong's stupidity. Doing that when already on a yellow, showing his lack of experience and why he is still only a talent and not a world class player like many would like to believe.

Suarez is as decisive as Messi. Also the only Barca player who knows how to move without ball at feet. Both retiring at the same time within the next 2 or 3 seasons will kill Barca.

8. Nocturnal Animal

Nocturnal Animal New Member

Nov 6, 2019
    We had a very long lucky streak when it comes to generational players. From Ronaldinho to peak Xaviesta + Messi to MSN era, that's a good 15 years of dominance. Right now, I see no light in the tunnel though.

Barca in 3 years:

?-Griezmann-?
    ?-Arthur
    FDJ
    ?-Lenglet-?-Semedo
    Mats​

Or what?

9. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if Lenglet and Semedo make the list than surely we can include Fati, Perez, Alena, Puig, Junior Firpo, Todibo, Wague, Arajuo, Umtiti if he stays healthy, Dembele if he can ever stay healthy, heck, even Coutinho till we actually sell him will still be a top talent in 3 years (and he showed best when Messi was injured).

Not to mention younger La Masia "cracks" like Monchu and Ilaix. And let's not forget Abel Ruiz, Collado, Busquets (the younger one on loan in Netherlands), Abe, etc. Honestly we have other promising youngsters and others on loan out, and of course Sergi Roberto will still be here...

More importantly we will keep signing big name players and promising youth players (too often for big name prices), so it's not all about what we already have on the first team, Barca B, and the rest of La Masia, it never has been - not even at the height of homegrown talent making the first team, and as the money only grows it won't ever be again, but we have plenty of talent right now

Ozora repped this.
  10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    IIRC, didn't Messi usually get extended Christmas vacations during the Pep era and return for the second-half of the season in full beast-mode?
    I'm talking in hindsight but this could've been the perfect chance to re-implement that routine : have him come back well-rested on January 14 and see what Griezmann could do in his natural position against the 20th place team and a couple of useless super-cup matches.