Rayo V is considering what to do with OKC franchise

Discussion in 'NASL' started by USRufnex, Jun 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Personally, I'd rather let the free market decide which club survives, folds, relocates, or merges before trusting Tim Holt or Bill Peterson to make that decision before a single ball is kicked.

2. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fair. I'm not sure the free market wouldn't destroy all parties.

3. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clubs fold in pro/rel systems as well ... quite a bit. There are AT LEAST 18 clubs in China that have folded since 2000. Just in China and that's literally what I found in a 1min Google search.

Of course that's not even getting into the merging of clubs that happens in pro/rel countries (the list of Asian defunct Asian clubs would grow if we talked about that).

However, just looking at this: http://www.footiemap.com/defunct.php?co=usa&type=w I've got a feeling you have zero clue just how often clubs fold in pro/rel.

The free market has decided/formed the system we have ... but you know, let's just ignore that.

4. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    With all of this said pro/rel in the minor leagues of the US probably could work, because the money you bring in has more to do with local efforts than prestige of the league. There is just this huge gulf between top tier sports and second tier sports that will just prevent pro/rel between the NASL and MLS practically impossible. Either way though I don't think pro/rel would save these clubs.

Blando13 repped this.
  5. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless he stated otherwise, I imagine Wilt was just saying "bummer" about a club folding and just happened to quote notorious P/R Meathead Ben Fast to show the news.

Also, are we just going to let go the fact USRufnex called himself "reasonable"?

The Irish Rover and HailtotheKing repped this.
  6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #56 bigredfutbol, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    The "free market" is a pretty nebulous concept, period.

As far as applying it to professional sports teams--even if you accept the idea that an ideal, truly "free" market exists--it makes no sense. The "free market" wouldn't determine whether or not a club had solvent ownership, or a sustainable stadium arrangement, or shrewd/savvy/knowledgeable ownership, or a capable training/medical staff, or better outreach to community youth clubs, etc.

Another problem is that many people think that a "market" for something like pro soccer exists as a static, definable, pre-existing fact outside of the creation of opportunities to watch pro soccer. That the "market" exists in full, and all you need to do is tap it. Just like "public opinion", a "market" for a spectator sport is amorphous and subject to the quality and nature of the team/league seeking to appeal to it.

7. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Who is this "we" you speak of?

8. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fans of soccer, not StandingsBall...

9. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Photographic proof? I gotta see this. This might be WCW advertising Monday Nitro airing on Thursdays levels of carelessness.

10. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't seen anyone post anything, but if I see something I will.

11. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that exactly what happens in the US now? The "free market" is pretty much the primary thing that determines whether a team moves up or down in our pyramid...your buddy Kenn has done some pretty extensive analysis of "economic pro/rel" in the US over the years and it's rampant...heck, that's more or less exactly what Minnesota is doing next year. There are lots and lots and lots of teams who have moved up a division to take on a bigger market and bigger challenges, or self-relegated to continue to play at a level equal to their market and ambitions without taking on more debt. The only thing keeping that from happening here is the feud between USL and NASL, and between OKC ownership groups in particular. (That's also the only reason Rayo OKC exists in the first place, but I digress...)

And to be completely clear, the voluntary, economically-driven mobility we have in the US - and that you seem to be talking about - has absolutely nothing to do with pro/rel driven by "results on the field." There are tons of huge, rich clubs in other countries who are (temporarily) languishing in lower divisions on the back of a bad season or two, or minnow clubs who get lucky one year and then spend themselves into oblivion trying to compete in a top flight their market can't afford...

12. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rayo Vallecano sit 17th after stumbling out of the gate in the opening weeks of Segunda Division. I think it'd be safe to say they'll sell the NASL team if they continue to play poorly. Can't imagine a 3rd division Spanish team being able to run a NASL side.

13. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all honesty, I can actually see Rayo going to Segunda Division B next year (which, ironically, is the level they have been the most successful). It's amazing how, even with them being the most noteworthy of the three Madrid teams in Segunda A, they prove they are the worst.

So, based upon this, there is no way they can keep this franchise.

14. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #64 USRufnex, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    Turf wars?

Rayo OKC missing turf update: Minority owner Sean Jones has released a statement

[​IMG]

Baysider repped this.
  15. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    770443995650650112 is not a valid tweet id

16. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    This isn't going to end well.

17. Matthew Johnson

Sep 6, 2013
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If only USSF would recognize the NASL as DI this could have all been avoided.

J/k. Talk about Busch League, geez...

18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Oh there are many other things he has zero clue about. Many, many other things . . .

19. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Dude, where's my field ? :eek:

upload_2016-8-30_8-8-40.jpeg

Hill Giant, FootySkeptic and Burr repped this.
  20. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm quite familiar ...

21. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #71 USRufnex, Aug 30, 2016
    I happen to have more knowledge and insight about this particular situation over the last 3+ years than both of you put together.

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/battle-of-oklahoma-city.1989234/page-3

22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #72 The Irish Rover, Aug 30, 2016
    Knowledge and insight? Be nice to see evidence of either of them, but since both character traits are very closely correlated with the ability to organize your thoughts and express them briefly, I'm not holding my breath.

I don't think anyone else is holding his breath either.

23. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Would you like to post about the subject of the thread rather than engaging in personal attacks on my character?
    Or is that going to be too much to ask?

24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #74 The Irish Rover, Aug 30, 2016
    Yes, I'm afraid it is.

I started reading BigSoccer's minor league team threads because I'm interested in the fans' perspectives on the how and the whys of developing successful minor league football teams in difficult situations. That's perspectives, plural.

One of the regions was Oklahoma (Oklahoma City and Tulsa) and I tried some of the threads. Your insistence on dominating each and every thread, your compulsive derailing of threads into petty squabbles where you just had to have the last word in each and every argument, no matter how trivial and/or irrelevant, plus your fondness (addiction, really) to Donald Trump-style word salads instead of posts made all the Oklahoma threads unreadable, so I bailed years ago - literally.

I hadn't checked in for ages, but with the Rayo situation I thought I'd take a look and I encountered this doozy

Why do you always have to make every discussion about you? Just give others a little bit more airtime.

It'd be pleasant for them. Might even be pleasant for you.

Buzz Killington and HailtotheKing repped this.
  25. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #75 USRufnex, Aug 30, 2016
    Kenn is a selective troll.

I am passionate about this particular subject, because of how it directly and indirectly affects Tulsa. I won't back down and be told by certain bigsoccer regulars that I can't even mention Pro/Rel when discussing this situation in a thread I started.

So, if you don't like it, don't post.
    There seem to be any number of other threads in which you also have that option.

Simple, eh?