Rayo OKC News Thread

Discussion in 'Rayo OKC' started by ManuSooner, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you see how long it took them to to get THIS one started? Read the threads in this, the Expansion or Energy forums: This was not a simple "Name the team, get an owner and lease a stadium" deal. They have been engaged in a spiteful battle that is now entering its fourth year and has had NOTHING to do with soccer.

And the results have been, to put it mildly, disappointing: They've slipped behind their in-town competition both on and off the field, his management group has been ousted, the new owners that he worked so hard to land are...well, I can't divine the minds of businessmen half a world away, but I'm confident in saying "not happy" with their investment.

I suppose they COULD try again in one of the speculative markets you talked about above, but that puts them back at square one for creating a team. And based on their track record here, finding another owner to give them a go will be even more difficult.

You could take Chicago off that list of places that Lund could try to go to, since Peter Wilt is closing in on formalizing things. Or maybe not: If anything, Lund has proven that the presence of other teams in a market isn't something that would stop him.

kenntomasch repped this.
  2. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So this happened. :confused:

770388261206274048 is not a valid tweet id

770388831346450433 is not a valid tweet id

770389141628387328 is not a valid tweet id

770389515990999040 is not a valid tweet id

770391724648648704 is not a valid tweet id

Never a dull day in Rayo land.

Gamecock14, JDogindy, billf and 4 others repped this.
  3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pro/rel would, obviously, have fixed this, as it solves all problems, always.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should they ask real nice?

Maybe throw in a cuisinart?

billf repped this.
  5. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone puts one of those things on their wedding registry but secretly don't really want anyone to get it for them. It's all about gift cards. Maybe Dick's for the gear and Home Depot for lawn care equipment and supplies?

Red Card, Duke Kickass and kenntomasch repped this.
  6. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I spoke with Sean Jones this morning. Always good to get the OTHER side of the story. He said, basically, he wants assurances from the majority owners. He said he's waiting for RVdM to commit to him what they plan to do with the field after the season.
    He started hearing from people that the team wasnt going to use the filed anymore, and in fact they were going to sell it. He tried to contact the GM, the owner, ANYONE who could tell him what was going on. Since, in fact, the field did NOT belong to the team but DID in fact belong to Sean Jones.
    (crickets)
    Finally, to protect his investment he made the decision to take the field and store it somewhere until this could be hammered out.
    The next day he called Alberto Gallegos to see if thy were still planning to meet. Gallegos told him "No", that he was having to deal with the field being stolen.
    Sean then informed him that he had taken the field, and told him that he had no issue with the team using the field, but wanted assurances that Rayo would NOT try to sell it, as it wasnt theirs to sell!
    It was later that day when Rayo put out the press release saying that he had taken it "in the middle of the night..."
    Not true, according to Sean. They were at the stadium at 630pm, and started the process after the Yukon band had finished their practice. With the help of a few people it STILL took them until around 3am just get half of the field loaded up.

Even after all of this, Sean is still asking people to support the team. He said he doesnt support the team, because of himself, or Gallegos, or Rayo VdM. He supports the team because of Futty, and Sebastian Velasquez, and Michel, etc...

I was talking with one of the Scissortail Podcast team, and he said the SAME thing. We support the team because we love THE TEAM, not SoS, or even Sean, or Brad Lund, or anybody else!

I have no idea what's going to happen down the road. But I plan to support;
    Futty Danso
    Sebastian Velasquez
    Michel
    Daniel Fernandes
    Kosuke Kimura
    Robbie Findley
    Derek Boateng
    Moises Hernandez
    Richard Menjivar
    Georgios Samaras
    Billy Forbes
    Sebastian Ibeagha
    Hugo Rhoads
    Ian Svantesson
    Devon Sandoval
    Tyler Gibson
    Marvin Chavez
    Jarad van Shaik
    Pecka
    Yuma
    Bryan Byers
    Adrian Ables

for the rest of the season. And try to find someway to protest against the FO

7. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, I am so glad I'm not a fan of Rayo. Even my worst days dealing with Rapids owners, I could have never imagined anything as asinine as this.

billf repped this.
  8. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any chance this team may have to forfeit the rest of the season?

Would be very embarrassing for the league.

9. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would they have to do that?

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [RomeoVoid]Never say never.[/RomeoVoid]

But it would seem like carrying them for the final 60 days would be far preferable to the rest of the collective than just giving their last eleven opponents three points and dealing with the fallout from having a team disappear.

Of course, that's assuming facts not in evidence. A lot of stuff said the night of the purge turned out to be premature(ish). It is only 60 days and players want to play and you can't generate any revenue if you don't play. At least if they play their remaining five home games, even if only a thousand people pay to go, they can still generate $50k or something. And if the other eleven teams kick in $5k apiece, they could probably make it work if they jettisoned some salaries.

But forfeiting would be a last resort. A Team Sacramento/A-League Atlanta situation would seem to be far more likely than just calling it a day now.

(Just as an aside, you know what would be good in a circumstance like this? That inferior business model called single entity. :) )

11. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So... there's a literal turf war going on?

Cirris, Revolusean, bigredfutbol and 3 others repped this.
  12. Duke Kickass

Duke Kickass Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Pinellas County, FLA
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I could rep that twice.

13. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Images posted on Twitter in the last day. Another two days ago showed players visiting an elementary school. SO they are not turtling, from I can tell. They are still very active.
    Just no Print Media, or TV ads have been seen int he last month.
    CrMsMN5VMAAAujZ.jpg CrMW9NNVMAAh3X9.jpg

brentgoulet repped this.
  14. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    msilverstein47 repped this.
  15. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  16. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this team might actually plummet down to the Madrid chapter of the Tercera Division in a few years. They just don't want to invest anything into their product, which again begs the question "Why the hell did they put money into the NASL team?"

Meanwhile, the owner of OKC Energy has bought land and wants to develop a MLS-compatible stadium on it.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...s-downtown-oklahoma-city-eyes-mls#commentsDiv

It's really a tale of two teams; one is looking at bigger things, and the other is struggling to even have a field to play on. Rayo OKC is literally honoring their namesake as the Have Nots in the heart of Oklahoma.

17. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ManuSooner repped this.
  18. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or a collection of millionaires to create an I/O group. But finding a dozen people with that kind of combined capital willing to join a squad would be about as difficult as getting one billionaire to join in.

19. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, to be fair, you wouldn't need a collection, maybe only 4-5, that's like a miscellanea or an assemblage at best.

And we're running out of those around here. Harold Hamm's diabetic legs are going to fall off pretty soon, Ol' Tommy at Sandridge is looking for a place that doesn't extradite and well, Aubrey took the easy way out.

ManuSooner repped this.
  20. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That leaves Clay Bennett (who would probably cooperate with soccer as well as he did with hockey) and Sue Ann Hamm. And don't look at me, my Powerball winnings are going to get a hockey team back.

21. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup.

When my wife finally gets fed up with me, I look forward to her being my Sugar Momma, if the diabetes doesn't get me first

I miss the Blazers

FootySkeptic and Brother Badgerjohn repped this.
  22. Sports Fan Stan

Apr 21, 1999
    Oklahoma City, USA
    According to ch4 sports just now, the Blazers are back starting mext season

23. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw that