Rapinoe reportedly to play for Lyon

Discussion in 'Seattle Reign FC' started by ForeverLOST108, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I agree. The beat situations are where both parties need each other.

Lyon failed mainly when they didn't use her to her best abilities in the last year.

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry... too late to edit.

3. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    NWSL training camps do not open for another two months.

Rapinoe would have definitely spoken to Laura Harvey stateside, who would have definitely advised her she wanted her 150% mentally ready for the start of training camp. They would have talked about Lair and Harvey would have sympathized and pumped up Rapinoe about her talent, her role on the Reign and the NWSL season.

I'm not up to speed on the timelines but I wonder if she decided to scuttle the boat after talking to Harvey and informed Lair on arrival (ergo the bench on the weekend and no announcement to poison the air) or if she came back to play and if not having a taste of the field factored in.

Seems like a win/win. As the season has gone, the loss is negligible. OL could accomplish what they have this season with 10 players on the field. And they can take the money and find a better fit.

D1 followers - I know it's subjective and the subject of a novel, but boiled down to it's essence, do you have an opinion on why this didn't work out?

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wondering if Megan decided that one year in France was enough. It's one thing to go for a year. It's another thing to go long term and have all your stateside relationships wane. I think she has a lot of friends here in the Pacific Northwest (I saw her at a Thorns game when the Reign were off). The truth may be that she was homesick, as some have said.

5. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Well she did renew her contract in Sept so she had every intention of staying more than a year

6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Well, we don't know that. She is a USA residency player. Her primary contract is with the USWNT.
    Any other contract she has is really a loan.

And we know that the USSF is pressuring players under residency to come home ( press is the prime interview here)
    We know that in that case the issue was that her team was still in the CL and she come home when they no longer are.

Apparently Lyon no longer is.

7. Mi Las

Mi Las New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    If it really is pressure from the federation than Tobin Heath should be coming home from Paris since her team is no longer in CL either. But Pinoe wrote a blog recently and described being pretty homesick and generally burned out. And there was also an article today in a French paper alleging that she did not have a good relationship with the Lyon coach and he did not treat her well (which of course he denied).

guignol repped this.
  8. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I highly doubt Rapinoe was on loan to Lyon as all the press release after the left Seattle said she re signed with Lyon. That is contrary to signings like Harris and Krieger where it clearly stated they were on loan.

While I think USSF is pressuring some players, I don't think it was the case with Rapinoe. I think this was the perfect situation for her because they had already been knocked out of the CL so apart from the money she would likely be giving up, I think it was an easy decision to make.

guignol repped this.
  9. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I'm glad she's back home now to rest in the coming week because she has been playing for two years straight now without a real break. At that pace she could be burned out by the WC in 2015

10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

We shall see if Heath comes home in the next few weeks. Let's revisit that when the nwsl season starts.

11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I think for Heath her main focus is on getting healthy and even if she's back, PSG still have win out their games to retain their second place standing to qualify for CL so her services are still needed

12. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    I saw that interview also. Interestingly the players who left Tyresö after beating Hjørring weren't American, they were Hansen and Hermoso, a Norwegian and a Spaniard.

Harris left end-of-season but it will be interesting to see how the spring plays out for Press, Engen, Klingenberg and Krieger. Tyresö drew the Austrians and barring eternal damnation will go past them and play in the semi's twice in late April against the Wolfsburg/Barcelona winner... two weeks after the NWSL season opens. Win that and they're in Lisbon May 22 a full six weeks after the start of the season.

Most teams can absorb a player arriving late from a CL run, but if you're Houston and it's half your back line it makes things more interesting. Women's football used to be so simple...

13. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She took it about as seriously as she does anything else. There is a reason why coaches love her for her creativity and risk-taking and at the same time, are driven absolutely insane by her inconsistent play. One of the reasons I was in favor of this move was to see if Lair could get her to play more consistently, but I guess this is just how she is. At her age right now, she's not likely to change, is she? She certainly hasn't changed before.

14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

It's not like Lair didn't know what he was getting. Here is part of a Leander article four months or so before she went to Lyon.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/...ature-uswnt-risk-taker-london-olympics-090512

15. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    having seen them interact i think he had as good a relationship with her as with anyone on the team; i got the impression he really liked her, despite the language barrier (it has to be said that she didn't learn much french in the time she was here: in the same amount of time i've seen other players both men and women makes ten times as much progress). sure he sent her to the reserves for a match after her dismal CL performance, but she wasn't the only one. he can give ferocious tongue lashings to players, he's a hotheaded guy, but he's lovable at the same time. she didn't get treated any differently tfrom any of the other players, but i think pinoe might have been a bit thin-skinned for it.

16. picomast

picomast Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I'm not really sure why you would want a player that is predictable. I've told my daughter that she must build a repertoire, to be creative so that your opponnent has no idea what to expect from you. She is exciting and keeps you on the edge of your seat. AndI think that helps to keep the other players alert.

Heather O'Reilly, very fast, but everytime takes it down the right side to the endline and passes back.

17. Lieri

Lieri Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Stockholm
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    This is technically off topic but that's inaccurate. If Tyresö beat the Austrians, they will face Arsenal or Birmingham in the semis. Wolfsburg/Barcelona will face Turbine Potsdam/Torres. So the odds are certainly in Tyresö's favour and chances are Press, Engen and Klingenberg (Krieger is not returning to Tyresö) will not be returning to the NWSL until late May.

18. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Ack! Sorry you are 100% correct, I was reading about Potsdam and an all-German semi and mixed the two up. Thanks for pointing that out, and Ali Krieger. Definitely increases their chances of the final and would love to see them win it.

19. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    of course you're right, but nobody's talking about predictable in the way you mean. when unpredictable means you have no idea if a player's going to play to her ability or be a stiff you have to bring off at HT or earlier, regardless of how she looked in practice during the week, or means that when she leaves on summer, winter or NT break you don't know what day or even what week she's coming back... that's a pretty crappy kind of unpredictable.

JanBalk repped this.
  20. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    did her contract say she had to be released for all uswnt callups? if ol signed such a contract (press signed one with tyreso) then they knew exactly what they were getting into. failing that, they had the upper hand in determining her departure and return dates for uswnt callups outside of fifa dates. should not be unpredictability there.

21. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    it's not just NT callups, it's pretty clear she picked and chose there too, as has been pointed out elsewhere. it's also megan rapinoe soccer camps and just hanging with her peeps in portland.

22. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    meaning that soccer camps and hanging with her peeps are baked into her contract? that's crazy! ol is at fault if that's true.

and if it's not part of her contract, the club decides when she leaves and when she returns. again, no unpredictability.

23. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    [​IMG]

24. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
  25. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's worst than Pia's team in the qualifiers doing high fives while smashing Banana Republic teams. I would hope TS has some class this year and turns it down after 10-0, just play possession and keep away.

[​IMG]

Necib (24', 37', 41', 51', 69', 87') had a good game for once. Ops, it wasn't the OGs or WC. :whistling: